FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2000-10-05
Seaside, CA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Grrr. Verizon. Grrr. Asurion...

So yesterday my Droid 1's touchscreen became posessed.

Buttons being clicked by themselves; keys going nuts on the on-screen keyboard when in text messaging. And the back button not working at all.

I have been paying $6/mo for the Asurion insurance since god-knows-when, and they denied my claim this morning because there has been no physical damage to the phone.

Verizon can't do anything for me until December when my new-in-two eligibility arrives.

So I'm stuck with a phone I can barely use because apparently the sensor went bad, and it's 4 months out of MFG warranty.

Might go visit a t-mobile store later today; or even Wal-Mart and pick up a pre-paid phone so at least I'll be able to talk to people without my phone interjecting.

- FM
--
This just in from the department of redundancy department...

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6

said by FutureMon:

... they denied my claim this morning because there has been no physical damage to the phone.

Surely that could be remedied without too much trouble.

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Yea I know; but I filed a claim on line, which was denied. Then when I had the verizon rep on the phone he called them and tried to get them to do something, which they denied.

So now they have potentially two seperate records of me trying to get my phone replaced. Wouldn't it be curious to them if all of the sudden I accidentally dropped my phone in the toilet (which would be a covered thing) after having my original claim denied twice.

- FM
--

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6

Got it. Life is never that simple, is it?

jig

join:2001-01-05
Hacienda Heights, CA
reply to FutureMon

did you try turning it off then on again? (snicker)

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

1) powered off, waited, back on. Still an issue.
2) powered off, removed battery, waited, back on. Still an issue.
3) factory reset!. Still an issue.

It doesn't seem to be happening as much now as it was on Sunday. In fact, it hasn't been a problem since Monday morning, actually.

I wonder if it was some weird kind of interference... Sun spots, radioactivity from Japan ...

The thing that sucks is that because I did a factory reset, I lost all my downloaded apps, and I can't find some of them in the market any more....

- FM
--

Bloominite
Premium
join:2004-04-17
reply to FutureMon

I've had continuing problems with the screen on my HTC EVO and it gets pretty frustrating when the phone doesn't respond, doesn't it. So far, Sprint has replaced the screen twice, the entire phone once and the mini-HDMI once.

I love the phone when it works but all the problems have made me awful wary and unable to rely on it. Reminds me a lot of the 1974 Triumph TR6 I bought new.

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

HA! I owned a 1972 Triumph Spitfire MK-IV.

Bought in 1998, had some body and paintwork done on it. Neat little car; but yeah, almost if not worse than a boat. Every time you take it out, you gotta perform some kind of maintenance on it afterwards...hehe

Ended up selling mine (along with a complete spare parts car I got from a shop for $150) for $800 before moving to Colorado. No way was I gonna pay to have it moved, and there's definately no way it would have made the drive...

- FM
--

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

1 edit
reply to No_Strings

Well I just got off the phone with VZ.

I politely asked when my contract was up, and when they asked why I told 'em.

I have two broken phones (one mine, one my daughters), out of warranty, and Asurion is flipping me the bird. So I'm going to take my business elsewhere; and I just need to know how much of an early termination fee I need to pay. I then told them I'd really rather stay on, if I could get the "buy one get one free" Droid 3 special - but their website wouldn't allow it on my secondary line, so I was being offered to pay $159 and only get one phone instead of paying $199 and getting two.

They put me on hold for a couple minutes, came back and said they got approval to give me the two-for-one deal.

Of course, the 2nd phone "free" is in the form of a $200 rebate, and you always have to pay tax on that 2nd phone's "full price" - not the $199, so it still cost me about $470 in total for the two new phones - and I had them apply the sale to my bill. When the rebate card comes in, I'll just use it towards my bill.

It extends my contract for 2 years, but since I went from smartphone to smartphone, I get to keep my grandfathered unlimited data plan (for which I'm only paying $10 for each phone-it's a localized special I got $20 off each data plan)

...Anyone want to buy a posessed Droid 1, or an HTC Eris with a busted trackball? I'll give ya a good deal...

...On a side note; I discovered while googling yesterday tha Asurion isn't even giving Droid 1's out when they get turned in. They're replacing them with the HTC Eris instead because Motorola stopped mfg on the droid 1. Talk about a massive downgrade, but that's what they're doing.

There are rumors if you bitch loud enough you can get them to give you an Droid Incredible but that takes some doing because they're on backorder in the stores still. And it's gonna be a piece of crap refurb anyway.

- FM
--

Waldothe3rd
Premium
join:2009-02-16
Sun N Sand
reply to FutureMon

But the question still begs to be asked... Did you take out insurance policies on the new fones?

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA

Nope. Asurion can, as Chef from South Park puts it, Suck on my chocolate salty balls.

I'm going to look into 3rd party insurance solutions.

- FM
--

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Waldothe3rd

Wow. Verizon's math is bizarre.

They're charging me $491.78 for the 2 phones.

Because I didn't technically qualify for the buy one get one free offer, I won't be getting the rebate card - I have to wait until August 30th, and they will at that time, put a refund on my account for $235.68 (which is the number they quoted for $199.99 "plus tax").

Phone # 1 = $199.99
Phone # 1 tax [on $199] @ 8.75% = $17.41
Phone # 2 = $199.99
Phone # 2 tax [on $459] @ 8.75% = $ 40.16

$199.99 + $17.41 + $199.99 + $40.16 = $457.63

$457.63 - $491.78 = $34.15

Subtract the $235.68 I'll get on 8/30 from the $491.78 and it makes the total out of pocket $256

And that actually sounds right. $199.99 plus $17 tax + $40 tax = $257

What really pisses me off is that the phones are currently listed at $159.99 buy one get one free...and they have a price guarantee...but they said they do not price match against their own website, so I'm stuck with the $199.99 BOGO price. I'll address that on the 30th.

- FM
--

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA

So far, so good.

Loving the Droid 3.

Still haven't seen any charges on my Verizon bill.

- FM
--

ohdan

join:2008-11-10
Adelanto, CA

I'm putting off my "free" upgrade until the iPhone 5 is released (Sept. rumor). My 3GS needs to go!

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
Seaside, CA
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

It is now August 30th. I'm supposed to have been called by Verizon to process the "credit-in-lieu-of-rebate" that was to apply to my account after the 14 day trial period.

Only one problem so far. They STILL haven't billed my account for the $491 I was supposed to pay for both new phones...

I was sort of thinking maybe they got smart and were simply going to charge me the lower amount after deducting the credit on the date the credit would be applied, so I suppose by tomorrow I'll know.

Otherwise, I've been keeping an eye on my checking account. It hasn't been billed either (they were told to bill it to my verizon account).

- FM
--