mm
I Did It My Way
Premium Member
join:2001-04-07
Summerville, SC

mm

Premium Member

Verizon DNS is down

I had to switch to some public DNS servers at 3:30pm. In live in NJ, Monmouth County.
Sympathy
join:2004-09-06
Newburgh, NY

Sympathy

Yep, went down here in the Hudson Valley, NY around the same, just came back up.

The only site which was working....mta.info. LOL.

ANON
@verizon.net

ANON to mm

Anon

to mm
Yep, was def down, but now it is back up.

DC Denton
Premium Member
join:2002-06-25
Huntsville, AL

DC Denton to mm

Premium Member

to mm
For future reference how can I switch to a public DNS Server? That was hella annoying

proefain
Premium Member
join:2000-05-08
Millersville, MD

proefain to mm

Premium Member

to mm
It was down here in MD also.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to ANON

to ANON
Didn't even notice but for a slight delay as I use a public DNS server as tertiary.

mm
I Did It My Way
Premium Member
join:2001-04-07
Summerville, SC

mm to DC Denton

Premium Member

to DC Denton
Click for full size
Login into the VZ router and click the blue globe on the left side labeled Broadband connection. Then click the column for broadband coax connection assuming your on coax. Then click settings on the bottom.

Pathfinder5
Dazed Confused
Premium Member
join:2000-03-26
New York, NY

Pathfinder5

Premium Member

It's back up

bohratom
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to mm

to mm
said by mm:

Login into the VZ router and click the blue globe on the left side labeled Broadband connection. Then click the column for broadband coax connection assuming your on coax. Then click settings on the bottom.

Or if you are like me and want a tertiary I just set them per client on my lan using the Verizon DNS servers as primary and secondary and a public DNS as third. Wish there was a way to have the router provide this via DHCP but the actiontec does not have the capability for a third (at least my REV E does not).
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

McBane to mm

to mm
I never noticed since I run my own DNS
talos4
join:2002-01-30
Manassas, VA

talos4 to mm

to mm
This seems to have been a large scale event caused by Akamai.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

Akamai hosts DNS for Verizon now?

lacksorigin
@verizon.net

lacksorigin to mm

Anon

to mm
If anyone finds out any details please post it here. This seems to have caused issues far beyond just Verizon and actually far beyond domains hosted by Akamai. Fwiw, if Akamai knows what exactly happened they aren't fessing up to it.

bohratom
Red Bank NJ

bohratom

said by lacksorigin :

If anyone finds out any details please post it here. This seems to have caused issues far beyond just Verizon and actually far beyond domains hosted by Akamai. Fwiw, if Akamai knows what exactly happened they aren't fessing up to it.

Would not faze me at all if it comes back to the Gov of China performing a test for the future. The next war will be fought in cyberspace and atm China is kicking our arse.
ronsc1985
join:2004-07-07
Manassas, VA

ronsc1985 to mm

to mm
This has happened a few times over the last month in N Va., usually in the early afternoon. I forgot I had reset my router and apparently Verizon DNS is the default. I just reloaded the Open DNS addresses.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to lacksorigin

MVM

to lacksorigin
Ah I see what the deal is now. I wasn't in the loop that Akamai was having outages earlier. Yeah, when they go down I would imagine the response of many websites to be almost non-existent. So many sites use them for caching static content meaning they are also tying into nameservers Akamai uses as a part of their CDN. If it was an authoritative DNS outage, I didn't notice an issue but I do know the DNS servers I use cache the last known good IP address for domains for some odd number of days before returning an NXDOMAIN.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium Member
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX

CptGemini to McBane

Premium Member

to McBane
said by McBane:

I never noticed since I run my own DNS

What do you run for the DNS server? I tried treewalk for windows and it worked great for a while but it has a nasty bug that after a while will take up 100% cpu usage slowing it down to slower than anything you could ever imagine.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

aaronwt to mm

Premium Member

to mm
Run NameBench

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu to mm

MVM

to mm
Please see the thread titled "DNS lookups around 12:30 PDT/ edgesuite.net resolution failures". Read all the posts (do not skim):

»puck.nether.net/pipermai ··· ead.html

The issue was not limited to just Verizon, but Akamai did "fess up".