Premium
join:2002-10-27
Crisfield, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Charter

2 edits

Verizon DSL outage in Maryland

Is anyone else having issues accessing the internet with Verizon DSL on the east coast? I've spoken with several friends and co-workers in my county here in MD who have been unable to access anything for the past hour. We have a sync with the CO as normal, but nothing loads. It started around 3 PM. In the meantime I am having to use a USB stick with my Verizon Wireless account, which oddly enough considering that Verizon is using the same CO for backhaul in this area, is working just fine.

Cocofalco

@verizon.net

I think I've got a similar issue here in Arlington VA

dataice
Premium
Crisfield, MD

2 edits

Mine came back up for about 10 minutes, but is now down again. I can't load any sites. I just walked over to my neighbor next door and he's having the same issues. So that rules out something on my end.

BadDNS

@geisinger.edu
reply to dataice

I noticed that I could ping local and remote IP's fine but cannot resolve any hostnames to IP addresses. I hardcoded my PC to use another vendors DNS and I'm back online, for now.

I'm in North Central PA.

dataice
Premium
Crisfield, MD

3 edits

Still having issues here, and I am having problems loading other programs like AIM and Weatherbug. They time out. Skype and e-mail works okay. It's a hit or miss.

khasner

@verizon.net

1 edit
reply to BadDNS

I have similar issues in Central NJ. It's back up but web access is very slow (email and skype work fine) and spotty.

Yezidi

join:2009-11-17
united state
reply to dataice

My service was out here in NYC but a reboot of the modem restored the connection. Seems a bit zippier for some reason.

dataice
Premium
Crisfield, MD

I just rebooted mine as well and am back up and running again. I don't know for how long. It worked the last time for only 10 minutes.

ggma1126
GGMA1126
Premium
join:2008-08-30
Claymont, DE
reply to dataice

just read a news release where sabatoge has occured due to the strike in some areas

»newscenter.verizon.com/assets/wr···m=social

dataice
Premium
Crisfield, MD

That's was a very interesting read. That's funny because I had suggested sabotage in passing with my neighbor about an hour ago. The subject came up, what if this is deliberate sabotage? Hopefully these acts won't continue.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

I have no idea if it is perhaps a case of sabotage, but someone who I talk to regularly happened to have their FiOS service go out an hour after the strike officially began. Coincidence? He said he saw mention of sabotage in the news, but he did get his service restored just a little while ago.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2
reply to dataice

Knock wood [banging on head] I am not having any problems here in downtown DC.

urdrwho

join:2006-10-10
reply to ggma1126

How freak'in nice. They make their problem my problem. So when I can't e-mail my clients, pay my bills, etc., can I send the Union an invoice for "my" problem?

Expand your moderator at work

scashby

join:2010-03-29
Salisbury, MD
reply to dataice

Re: Verizon DSL outage in Maryland

I've noticed a bit of a slowdown, Domain Name resolution issues, and streaming/buffering issues since Sunday on the Eastern Shore of MD.

kotyaer

join:2011-08-09
Greenbackville, VA
reply to dataice

ESVA here, Also had a severe outage this morning, cleared up by late afternoon

dataice
Premium
Crisfield, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Charter
reply to scashby

I've been noticing the same issues here in Crisfield. Especially with streaming video issues. Netflix has been nearly unwatchable since Sunday. A friend in Salisbury has complained of the same thing. It's working okay right now at 2:45 am Wednesday, but I'm not usually up watching videos at this time.

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA
kudos:38
reply to dataice

I hope these outages aren't due to sabotage, I can only say that these types of outages occur daily. The problem is there are few people able to work these issues during the strike.

kotyaer

Greenbackville, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

I've had problems since before the strike. Unsure what the cause is, still. Nothing nearby that i can tell would cause it. My entire community (Captain's Cove, in Greenbackville) has complained at some point to verizon, and we just get led in circles by VZ customer care. Time for someone to move in and make a move on verizon's turf.

dataice
Premium
Crisfield, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Charter

I know the feeling kotyaer. Here on Maryland's Lower Eastern Shore (Crisfield) the issues are the same. Things were great here for the first 7 or 8 years after Verizon started offering service here, but for the last year it's been one issue after another. Our central office is now oversold (both DSLAMS) and they capped the top service tier at 3 Mbps, when it had been 15 Mbps less than a year ago. So now I am paying the same amount ($44.99) for 3 Mbps that others in the nearby area are paying for 15 Mbps. Doesn't seem fair, but it is what it is. Crisfield's only other option for wired broadband is Charter Communications, and from what I've heard from people in this area, you would only use them as a last resort, as they are far worse than Verizon. So, like you we are stuck with what we have for the foreseeable future.

kotyaer

Greenbackville, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

I saw charter running around with trucks in my general area the other day. I still have yet to see a verizon truck anywhere in my area. So they're already more active than verizon.

As for the speed, it's perfect for what my household needs. I wouldn't mind more bandwidth, but we can cope. I just wish it were more stable!

dataice
Premium
Crisfield, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Charter

1 edit

I'm just patiently waiting for Verizon to upgrade my area to 4G. If what have I been reading about 4G speeds is true it may actually be a viable alternative to wired broadband. However, the 10 GB cap would probably keep me from switching. Things would have to get really bad with my DSL connection for me to switch to wireless. It's a shame the carriers are making wireless broadband an unattractive option with the caps.

chrisk19938

join:2008-08-18
Clayton, DE

the 4g is FAST however people have blown the data cap in 29 minutes under extreme heavy use.

I just want this strike to be over so i can go back to work...

traveler122

join:2011-05-30
Hopatcong, NJ
reply to Smith6612

said by Smith6612:

I have no idea if it is perhaps a case of sabotage, but someone who I talk to regularly happened to have their FiOS service go out an hour after the strike officially began. Coincidence? He said he saw mention of sabotage in the news, but he did get his service restored just a little while ago.

Not long after you posted that item my service here in New Jersey ground to a screeching halt, then went out completely. DSL modem statistics reported 32kbps download with 879 kbps upload. Service appeared to come back to what passes for normal about an hour later.

scashby

join:2010-03-29
Salisbury, MD
reply to dataice

Yeah, I'm in Salisbury too. It seems to be a consistent DNS error. At first I was just rebooting the router every few minutes, but then found that if I click on the Connected (or Not Connected) link on the main router screen (192.168.1.1) I can just disconnect and reconnect to PPP from there, saving me from having to completely reboot.

Steve125

@verizon.net
reply to dataice

Add Rhode Island to the list of random outages, 20min at a time. No problems before strike.

dataice
Premium
Crisfield, MD
reply to tim_k

I hope it ends soon too Tim. Is Verizon budging at all yet? This is coming up on two weeks.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17

Strike discussion is here:

»Verizon 2011 Strike