Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
kudos:1

Tablet Without Data = Useless

Last month I purchased an HTC Flyer tablet from Best Buy. I wanted an Android based tablet and I’m an HTC fanboi so I figured what the hell. When I got out to my car, I opened it up and wanted to play but, oh yeah, that’s right I had no data connection. I could not download apps, surf the net or play on YouTube. I had to drive 15 minutes away to a supermarket and use their free wifi they have for the café. I was in the parking lot in my car and kept losing the signal. I’m not sure where all this free wifi is, but I can say for a fact there’s it’s sure as hell is not in the Buffalo or Rochester NY areas. Wifi is a joke. I returned the Flyer a few days later and ordered it’s brother, the HTC Evo View, which is the same exact thing, but has CDMA and Wimax radios. It’s so nice having data wherever I go, and when in 4G areas, having data speeds that smoke most free wifi. I pay $35/month for 3GB of data to Sprint for the tablet. It’s in the same category as why I pay for a USB data card. The convenience of having my own reliable dedicated connection on the go is well worth the cost. I’m not a big fan of wifi at all, and hardly ever use it, even at home.
--
Chuck Norris was once asked why he doesn’t use an iPhone, he responded, “Same reason I don’t use tampons.”
AT&T - America's Worst 3G Network

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
Most Best Buys have wi-fi

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to Happydude32
said by Happydude32:

I pay $35/month for 3GB of data to Sprint for the tablet. It’s in the same category as why I pay for a USB data card. The convenience of having my own reliable dedicated connection on the go is well worth the cost. I’m not a big fan of wifi at all, and hardly ever use it, even at home.

While I agree, I never go wifi with my Sprint 3g smartphone, you are paying at least $85/month for your tablet+USB data. A mobile broadband router (or capable smartphone) would be much smarter.
--
Standard disclaimers apply.
Atomic batteries to power. Turbines to speed.