spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jhammons

join:2011-08-07
Lexington, KY

Will I go over the monthly cap of 150 GB?

I have 3 roommates. 2 of us play xbox. I noticed this small print in the ATT offer:

FastAccess® DSL Direct – DSL plans without AT&T home phone service. DSL price includes 150 GB of data/mo. Additional $10 charge per each 50 GB of data usage in excess of allowance. U-verse price includes 250 GB of data/mo. For more information, go to MyUsage.att.com

jhammons

Lexington, KY
Nm after reading I realize this would be extremely hard to do witjout doing anything illegal. I still dont like that they can cap usage though.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
Another thing that might do it is if you watch a LOT of HD Netflix
--
»haywardm.com (Hayward's Key West)

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
reply to jhammons
If you download a lot of HD movies from the various vendors such as Netflix, you could hit that limit quite legally. Also if you like to use a lot of new games and download the games legally from something like Steam you might hit the cap legally. If you upload lots photographs and videos of your life to social networking sites you could legally hit the cap.

jhammons

Lexington, KY
I was reading this. Even though it would take A LOT, it is very possible (I don't do steam). Still though this isn't fair to the people who do have these LEGAL services..., how can they cap this?

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
said by jhammons:

I was reading this. Even though it would take A LOT, it is very possible (I don't do steam). Still though this isn't fair to the people who do have these LEGAL services..., how can they cap this?

this cap issue has been discussed, fought over and call it everything else here on dslreports....

if you've just read and or ntoiced this recently, welcome....

now for the good news, AT&T still doesn't have an accurate meter in place....you can come to your own conclusion after that...

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to jhammons
"We don't care. We don't have to care; we are The Phone Company!" {snort, snort}

That is the "how". Monetizing video streams is the why. I fired them last June. At least I had an option; many don't (enough so that they "don't care" that I left).
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
Were you quoting me?

jhammons

Lexington, KY
I meant to say isnt* in my earlier post. I'm actually thinking of switching to att because time warner is so terrible here as of late.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by jhammons:

I meant to say isnt* in my earlier post. I'm actually thinking of switching to att because time warner is so terrible here as of late.

Frying pan or fire, that is the question.

AT&T has also been terrible in many places as of late. That is the primary reason that I now use Comcast instead of AT&T.

YMMV
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
-- Thomas Jefferson

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to graysonf
said by graysonf:

Were you quoting me?

Hmmmm. I wonder. I believe I've been tossing that out in SBC West, since I became a member of DSLR, but before I visited the Bellsouth (now AT&T Southeast) forum. I'll keep in in AT&T West, from now on...sorry!

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I'm not Ernestine, the person you have been quoting.

mdv921

join:2008-06-26
reply to jhammons
They won't start charging you until you go over the cap 3 times. They claim I went over the cap last month and sent me an email telling me they would not charge me for the first 2 overages, but the additional $10 for each 50gb would be in effect on the 3rd overage.

That said, I have not been able to bring up that stupid usage site of theirs in the last 2 1/2 weeks. All I get once I log in is a blank white page with "done" in the status bar. However, my own bandwidth meter says I did not go over the cap last month. It says I used 142gb. And I know that the times I have actually been able to bring up my usage on the AT&T site their daily figures were always higher than mine (sometimes by 1gb or more).

So, I've decided that the day they charge me for going over when my meter says I didn't will be the day I call them and tell them to shove it, and go over to cable internet. My local cable company does not have any caps at this point, but there are certain things about them I've never liked (such as their prices), but I'll be willing to pay more per month if I get pissed enough with AT&T.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX
kudos:6
Their meters could be counting overhead or something along those lines. I have DD-WRT on my linksys router and luckily so far there are no caps here on my service but I won't hold my breath on that.

jhammons

Lexington, KY
reply to mdv921
said by mdv921:

They won't start charging you until you go over the cap 3 times. They claim I went over the cap last month and sent me an email telling me they would not charge me for the first 2 overages, but the additional $10 for each 50gb would be in effect on the 3rd overage.

That said, I have not been able to bring up that stupid usage site of theirs in the last 2 1/2 weeks. All I get once I log in is a blank white page with "done" in the status bar. However, my own bandwidth meter says I did not go over the cap last month. It says I used 142gb. And I know that the times I have actually been able to bring up my usage on the AT&T site their daily figures were always higher than mine (sometimes by 1gb or more).

So, I've decided that the day they charge me for going over when my meter says I didn't will be the day I call them and tell them to shove it, and go over to cable internet. My local cable company does not have any caps at this point, but there are certain things about them I've never liked (such as their prices), but I'll be willing to pay more per month if I get pissed enough with AT&T.

How or what programs can you use to individually monitor your usage?

mdv921

I'm using Net Meter. You can download it (it's free) at the following link. Just make sure you set it to always start up with Windows and let it run 24/7. It's very easy on system resources.

»download.cnet.com/Net-Meter/3000···551.html

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to jhammons
Hard to do with 3 people????

I'm a single person, and I consider 150 gigs as light usage.

I would say moderate as 300 - 500Gigs

and heavy would be over 500 gigs.

jhammons

Lexington, KY
We will have to see how this goes then. Just curious but what kind of stuff do you do that takes 300-500 GB on moderate usage?

jhammons

Lexington, KY
And from what I've been reading Xbox live and such doesn't take as much as I originally thought.

DataRiker
Premium
reply to jhammons
I like to download movies and stream.

On their 6 meg DSL line you could hit that cap in 2 days if you left a torrent running.

Kind of pathetic that they have to cap a DSL line.

jhammons

Lexington, KY
reply to mdv921
said by mdv921:

I'm using Net Meter. You can download it (it's free) at the following link. Just make sure you set it to always start up with Windows and let it run 24/7. It's very easy on system resources.

Its free to try, not free.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
said by jhammons:

said by mdv921:

Its free to try, not free.

here...find what suits you...free or paid...

»Software Forum Member Choice »Preferred Bandwidth Meters - 2011 Member Choice

»[POLL] Bandwidth Meters - 2011 Member Choice

or use a router based meter, that way you don't have to install it on all pc's...

and if you do have to install it on all pc's, make sure you collect the data properly....all at the same time...

Madtown
Premium
join:2008-04-26
Madera, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to jhammons
said by jhammons:

And from what I've been reading Xbox live and such doesn't take as much as I originally thought.

Online gaming might not take much, but if you watch Netflix, Hulu Plus, ESPN3, Inside Xbox videos and download contents from the Xbox Live Marketplace that will eat up bandwidth faster, oh and just wait til Youtube is on Xbox Live, (ooh boy better pack my lunch)

jhammons

Lexington, KY
Well now this cap thing is starting to sound ridiculous!

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Sound ridiculous?

It is ridiculous.

BOHICA

mdv921

reply to jhammons
"Its free to try, not free."

I'm trying to remember where the one I have came from and I can't remember. It may have been already installed on the new computer I bought months ago, but I've been using it for 6+ months and it's still working.

DataRiker
Premium
reply to jhammons
said by jhammons:

Well now this cap thing is starting to sound ridiculous!

It is. Want to know what's an even bigger mind f$$k is the fact that 7 years ago I used to pass 500+ Gigs over a dsl line no problem.

Bandwidth is 100's of times cheaper today and DSL a mature Tech, but somehow, incredibly ATT has made it more restrictive

jhammons

Lexington, KY
The real sad thing is that I probably live in one of the 10 biggest cities in ky and only have 2 broadband providers to choose from (and neither are very great)

DataRiker
Premium
Do you have cable available?

jhammons

Lexington, KY
I have time warner cable internet right now and im giving them two weeks to line their ish out. Theyre great when they actually work but the last 2 weeks have seen as much downtime as up.