join:2002-10-11
USA

Chaplain to Prevailer

Premium Member

to Prevailer

Re: OT - Punk ish Music From the Past

As my boss often says via email, comments below:
said by Prevailer:

I'm the jack of all trades, master of none. I play guitar okay, bass pretty well, and drums and piano poorly. Since some of this is punk, I will declare this on-topic
Topic has been destroyed via genre pretty well already. It is open season at this point. Taking comments below way too literally.

My guitar work - Covers:
»www.protusmose.com/tehme ··· lack.mp3
First slow chord made me think Green Grass and High Tides by the Outlaws. I thought I'd never forgive you for not coming through, but some midget in a school boy outfit beat me until I changed my mind. I also may be drinking beer. So in short, nice.

»www.protusmose.com/tehme ··· orld.mp3 - The Queers - Fuck the world - man I hate that amp setting. Sounds really good live, there's some really weird tremolo that comes through recording when recording straight out.
Sounded fine to me. When listening to a recording of someone outside studio, your ears automatically adjust. Sometimes.

»www.protusmose.com/tehme ··· boat.mp3 - added a new bass line and guitars, and, um, vocals? I firmly believe this is an improvement even with the screwups.
I am in permagrin over you mixing with this.

»www.protusmose.com/tehme ··· phis.mp3 - Norma Jean - Memphis Will Be Laid To Waste - This was my "audition" for a band that was getting started on Craigslist to be their bass player. They liked the sound, but I guess it was weird with a 29 year old trying to get in a band with a bunch of 17 year old drop-outs so it never went anywhere.
I'm not into the sound myself based on the cover, but you should not be selling yourself short. You have more talent than most people who claim ability at this.

Originals:
»www.protusmose.com/tehme ··· vast.mp3 - I was screwing around on the piano and found a hook I liked so I started recording and making crap up on the fly. I was also having problems with Avast antivirus, so that became the name of hte song.
It's not a bad hook. That's how most songs of the genre we've been focusing on start; and end. I liked it.

»www.protusmose.com/tehme ··· tion.mp3 - yock See Profile used the phrase "Accessing Voodoo Witchery for additional amplification" in a post and it inspired me to sit down and write a song just so I could use that as the title. Two weeks later, I realized it was totally a rip off of Ghoti Hook. :\
I always wondered how sucky it would be to come up with something you love, and then realize that it sounded similar to another song. Vanilla Ice had the blessing of ignorance, but now all musicians are so lucy.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 9IhCuBDA

Really, it's not that similar. And if I'm picking the incorrect comparison, then I blame the fact that I'm deaf (I'm not deaf).

»www.protusmose.com/tehme ··· etal.mp3 - Unicorns are metal too. Possibly my favorite song title. Also still a work in progress.
Parts of it sounded a bit like Mega Man 2, which fits with the metal part. Just in the beginning, though. The rest was more anthem'ish. I liked it for it's foundation aspects.

»www.protusmose.com/tehme ··· mark.mp3 - meh, it's kind of blues?
Has a bluesy beginning, then transitions. Nice short riff.

»www.protusmose.com/tehme ··· beta.mp3 - another make it up as I went
Has an out on the plains type of feel to it. Cowboyish? I like it, personally.

»www.protusmose.com/tehme ··· /rwk.mp3 - I still love this one. I need to add the original drums back in and re-record
The changes seem a bit off, but I think that's the rhythm you were going for. The solo piece is pretty high pitched, but overall I like the sound.

Prevailer
Freeze a poopy.
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Your Mom

Prevailer

Premium Member

The correct ripped-off song is

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· q-4cEkW0