uniqs

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

SuperAntiSpyware SASCORE.EXE?

Does that need to be running on the free edition? I only use the program as a on demand scanner and disable checking for updates. I check manually. As well as disabling it from starting up when windows starts.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

2 recommendations

jabarnut

Premium Member

You might check this thread over at their forums:
said by SUPERAntiSpy :
Yes, you need it for the free edition - leave it set as we set it
The core service should be left running - that's the bottom line - it uses little memory or cpu.
»forums.superantispyware. ··· service/

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Thanks.

Kylemaul
Lovin' My Firefox
Premium Member
join:2001-03-30
Puyallup, WA

Kylemaul to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
I use SAS in the same manner as the OP. I'll have to respectfully disagree. You can get rid of it using AutoRuns, and selecting the correct preferences in SAS itself. (Sadly, the prefs in SAS itself do NOT get rid of this fluff.)

SAS, regardless of what they claim, runs just fine without that nastily persistent PoS.

For those unfamiliar--SASCORE.EXE auto-restarts itself even when shut down via task manager and rebooted. It only showed up since one of their recent updates. Oh sure, all of a sudden, SAS "needs" to be running this--yeah, right. My guess is it is only important if you use the 'real-time' option.

If SAS doesn't fix this issue, I will be uninstalling it.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

2 edits

1 recommendation

jabarnut

Premium Member

Certain services running automatically once bothered me as well (and some still do).
The SAS Core Service was just introduced in the free version with the entire new face lift that is version 5. (I really like the new GUI, btw).

It's true that it uses it uses little memory or cpu. I thought of messing around with it, stopping the service, etc. And then I just decided to not lose any sleep over it, and move on.
I don't even notice it's there. (Well, unless I look, of course).
It's certainly not reason enough for me to dump a program as good as SAS, but hey, that's just me.
quote:
SAS, regardless of what they claim, runs just fine without that nastily persistent PoS
I would hardly file it under a "nastily persistent PoS"...you want to see some of those, visit the security cleanup forum and look around a little.

Kylemaul
Lovin' My Firefox
Premium Member
join:2001-03-30
Puyallup, WA

Kylemaul

Premium Member

said by jabarnut:

I would hardly file it under a "nastily persistent PoS"...you want to see some of those, visit the security cleanup forum and look around a little.

Having to use 3rd party software to prevent it from loading/running makes it nasty in my book. To be sure there are worse out there as you refer to, but those are usually classified as viruses, malware, etc.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

1 recommendation

antdude to jabarnut

Premium Member

to jabarnut
said by jabarnut:

You might check this thread over at their forums:

said by SUPERAntiSpy :
Yes, you need it for the free edition - leave it set as we set it
The core service should be left running - that's the bottom line - it uses little memory or cpu.
»forums.superantispyware. ··· service/

Also "Yes, it's a required component of SUPERAntiSpyware's on-demand and real-time scanning as well as product updates. If it is not running, scanning effectiveness will be reduced..."

Has anyone noticed the differences with its service on and not on? I used it disabled, and it seems to be OK (only cookies).
pudelein
join:2005-06-18
Oak Ridge, TN

1 recommendation

pudelein to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
I have also experimented with the new SAS service sascor.exe in SAS Free, used only as an on-demand scanner. If it is set to manual, it never starts during a scan; if set to disabled, the scan runs in essentially the same time as with it set automatic. I conclude that it plays no significant role in the free version, so am leaving it disabled.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by pudelein:

I have also experimented with the new SAS service sascor.exe in SAS Free, used only as an on-demand scanner. If it is set to manual, it never starts during a scan; if set to disabled, the scan runs in essentially the same time as with it set automatic. I conclude that it plays no significant role in the free version, so am leaving it disabled.

Yeah, I can't tell the differences with manual scan in Free version on my old W2K SP4, XP Pro. SP3, and 64-bit W7 HPE machines. It only finds cookies. I don't know if SAScore makes a difference with real threats/malwares and cleaning them.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
if it is not malicious, what is it doing?

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
It seems to me from having used the free version and then paying for a license to SAS that SASCORE.exe is necessary primarily for automatic updates. However, if you pay for the program, it makes sense to leave the service automatic because updates are frequent and if you are using SAS live, frequent updates are a very good idea.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by rcdailey:

It seems to me from having used the free version and then paying for a license to SAS that SASCORE.exe is necessary primarily for automatic updates. However, if you pay for the program, it makes sense to leave the service automatic because updates are frequent and if you are using SAS live, frequent updates are a very good idea.

OK that makes sense. For free version, it doesn't. Also, I just don't see evidences of needing its service to manual ondemand updates, scans, and cleans.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
Rialto, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

rcdailey

Premium Member

I can't find anything other than updates that requires the SASCARE.exe service, but I could be wrong. For some reason, I had the idea that the new version 5.x of SAS was gathering statistics, but I can't find anything on that subject and I may be confusing it with something else (oh yeah, I remember, it was the APC software update I installed that does that). It would be okay with me if the paid version is doing that, because anti-virus programs often do that, but there is no documentation to show that SAS is doing that. Doing netstat -b doesn't show SASCORE.exe at the moment even though it is loaded as a service. Plenty of other stuff is active (established connection).
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

2 edits

Mele20 to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
It is not running on my computer. I didn't even know about it until I read this thread. I installed the latest version of SAS free a few minutes ago. I don't have sascore.exe running in task manager. I only use SAS for on demand scanning and it is shut down at the moment. I assume sascore.exe runs only when SAS is running?

Edit: I have it running a scan right now. There is no sascore.exe running.

Anyone have Avira and SAS? Two persons at Avira forum are currently saying after the latest SAS definition updates that Avira thinks SAS is a trojan TR/Spy.Spatet.BC and quarantines it.

Sigh. It still thinks that I have three "extremely serious threats" on my computer. They are the three registry keys needed to disable the Windows Security Center. That is deliberate and certainly not "threats". It wanted to delete them so I would then have that awful Security Center back. Geez....this is why I don't run stuff like this.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

3 edits

Dustyn

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by Mele20:

It is not running on my computer. I didn't even know about it until I read this thread. I installed the latest version of SAS free a few minutes ago. I don't have sascore.exe running in task manager. I only use SAS for on demand scanning and it is shut down at the moment. I assume sascore.exe runs only when SAS is running?

No it runs even if you're not using SAS.
Did you check services?
More than likely by default (even with the FREE version) it is set to AUTOMATIC and is RUNNING. I can verify this with the free version too.
Mine was SASCORE64.EXE. Keep in mind however I use the Pro version. Support will INSIST it's an ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY requirement to have it running at ALL TIMES... regardless if you use Pro OR Free. I am skeptical of course... but I leave it running for now.

hayc59
Your a Daisy
Premium Member
join:2001-02-26

1 recommendation

hayc59 to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
I sent Nick an e-mail and maybe he
can pop in and say hello

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

1 recommendation

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Nice. If anyone could clear this up. It would be the maker. And if he just so happens to see this post. A bit off topic. Are the default scan settings optimal?
said by hayc59:

I sent Nick an e-mail and maybe he
can pop in and say hello

kickass69
join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69 to Mele20

to Mele20
That's happened with both SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes Anti-Malware everytime I uninstall and reinstall the new versions of both for as long as the Security Center has been in XP. After I run the first scan for both, I just mark them for ignore on both and move on.
kickass69

1 recommendation

kickass69 to KoRnGtL15

to KoRnGtL15
I've disabled the SASCORE.EXE service with no consequence. I've gone as far as to delete SASCORE.EXE and manually remove the service altogether with no issues.

Of course whenever I check for definition/program updates, it claims there's an update when all it is is SuperAntiSpyware trying to reinstall it so I ignore it.

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn

Premium Member

Click for full size
What I find interesting is the following responce to this very question which has already been asked in the SAS forums.

kickass69
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69

We all know that 'official' answer is bs after what I've done. Scanning hasn't been affected at all since I removed SASCORE.EXE and it's corresponding service from Windows XP Pro SP3.

How can one service tie all those things in together when definition/program updates work fine as well as scanning? I'd love for them to detail just how 'scanning effectiveness' is reduced. We'd all love to know.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
Rialto, CA

1 recommendation

rcdailey

Premium Member

said by kickass69:

We all know that 'official' answer is bs after what I've done. Scanning hasn't been affected at all since I removed SASCORE.EXE and it's corresponding service from Windows XP Pro SP3.

How can one service tie all those things in together when definition/program updates work fine as well as scanning? I'd love for them to detail just how 'scanning effectiveness' is reduced. We'd all love to know.

Didn't you say that the update function doesn't work exactly right in that it says you need an update to the program when you actually don't? Maybe that could become a problem over time. I suppose that since SAS doesn't "protect" this service by preventing the user from removing it (as many anti-virus programs protect their modules), that may suggest that you don't have to enable it, but are the authors of SAS lying to us when they say that SASCORE.EXE is necessary? I don't think I'd want to say they are lying without being able to prove it beyond doubt in a court of law.

kickass69
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

1 edit

kickass69

I more times than not always checked the website or if it saw an update in the software section on BBR here or FileHippo and went to SuperAntiSpyware's site and downloaded it at that point.

Well It comes across as bs without further explaination as to what exactly SASCORE.EXE does. That's all anyone is really asking, instead they give the same canned answer. Those like us don't want or need a process running on startup automatically if we're using it for nothing more than an on-demand scanner. We all like to know what our memory and resources are used for. In the end we deserve to know.

For me this wasn't an issue prior to version 5.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
Nope. NOTHING is running from SAS included that disliked logon service. That was the only thing that used to run in the past and you could not disable it.

I have SASCore.exe (no 64 in there...you must be on 64bit)? It is not running and not in XP Pro Services either. I have the other files mentioned. But nothing is running.
Mele20

Mele20 to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
said by Dustyn:

What I find interesting is the following responce to this very question which has already been asked in the SAS forums.

So, when I run a scan, even then, this SASCore.exe does not run. So I am getting a diminished scan?

I just rebooted my modem, routers and computer to get the new speed that Oceanic turned on last night so maybe I should run another scan and see if this stuff turns on. There is currently NO process in Task Manager that has anything to do with SAS. I didn't reboot last night after installing it, but if rebooting was needed then how come now I have rebooted I still don't have any SAS process (inlcuding logon) running in Task Manager?

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

1 recommendation

KoRnGtL15 to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Click for full size
I am on Windows 7 64 bit and it is running. But like I said. I only use SAS for on demand only with the freebie.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I don't have Scotty on this machine (have him on my Vista virtual machine though) so I am just looking at Task Manager and in Services and I have nothing showing in either place that has to do with SAS.

I turned off all the auto updating stuff. Maybe that is why? Maybe the installer didn't properly uninstall the earlier version of SAS thus this install is messed up? But it ran a short scan last night with no problems so.....

c00kies
@as9105.com

c00kies

Anon

I dont understand where the conspiracy is at all.

SAS is principally a malware remover and a good one at that.

Part of its operations is bound in with using drivers and a service to be preloaded inorder to bring its mojo when the time it is called for.

If it cant remove stuff because half its mojo has been neutered by the resource obsessed users then really its like having a guard dog and then pulling out its teeth..great logic guys!

There is no conspiracy if the vendor wont reveal the inner workings of their application..it called proprietry technology and maybe they want to keep it to themselves

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
Rialto, CA

1 recommendation

rcdailey to kickass69

Premium Member

to kickass69
The paid version updates multiple times each day. That's why I'm going to leave SASCORE.EXE alone. If you're not using it in real-time, maybe all the updating isn't necessary, but you'll want to update each time before you run a scan, of course. I used to do that anyway with the previous version, even after I paid for it.

Dustyn
Premium Member
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
SASCORE64.EXE is the 64-bit service module.
Perhaps one of your system protection products blocked/prevented the SASCORE.EXE installation from ever happening?