All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
GreekGeek
join:2010-03-01

GreekGeek

What Do VOIP Users Use To Record Phone Conversations

I have been using »VoiParrot.com to record my VOIP calls and would like to know what other people are using.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

1 edit

nunya

MVM

nm
tbrummell2
join:2002-02-09
Ottawa, ON

tbrummell2 to GreekGeek

to GreekGeek
In Canada, as long as one person knows the conversation is being recorded, it's allowed. So, I record all calls on my PIAF, with a cron job to delete anything 120 days old. Never know when the recording may be needed.

Adam4
Premium Member
join:2011-05-30
Woodland Hills, CA

Adam4

Premium Member

said by tbrummell2:

I record all calls on my PIAF, with a cron job to delete anything 120 days old.

The script that the cron job runs, is it named "rosemarywoods"?

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

You definitely wanna study up on your national and/or local state laws when it comes to that. Canada is 1-party consent, but what if you do a conference call and then leave it?
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

You stop recording it, I guess? How do you suppose to record a call if you're not in the call?
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned) to GreekGeek

to GreekGeek
I'd like to know as well as I'm interested to record phone calls too.

I did download voiparrot but it's got to be the worst basement programmer pos I've seen in a long while. Plus it depends on both the computer it runs on and the ATA to be on a hub (no router or switch). How 1980s lol
Expand your moderator at work
OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you
join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA

OmagicQ to GreekGeek

to GreekGeek

Re: What Do VOIP Users Use To Record Phone Conversations

Does a wireshark trace count as a recording? Any call I would want to record would be done that way using a softphone.
tbrummell2
join:2002-02-09
Ottawa, ON

1 recommendation

tbrummell2 to Adam4

to Adam4
Had to Google the reference. I'm too young for Watergate...
said by Adam4 See Profile
The script that the cron job runs, is it named "rosemarywoods"?

[/BQUOTE :

Anonymice
@sbcglobal.net

Anonymice to GreekGeek

Anon

to GreekGeek
all you care to know, and more:

»www.backtrack-linux.org/ ··· ne_calls
GreekGeek

GreekGeek to IamGimli

to IamGimli
said by IamGimli:

...the ATA to be on a hub (no router or switch)

I've been using VoiParrot since 2009 and the ATA and computer share a common router (not a hub). Even VoiParrot's WEB site specifies a router.
said by IamGimli:

...it depends on both the computer it runs on ...

Could you tell me what you meant?
GreekGeek

GreekGeek to OmagicQ

to OmagicQ
said by OmagicQ:

Does a wireshark trace count as a recording? Any call I would want to record would be done that way using a softphone.

You bet. Years ago I tried that but I need something that will organize the calls a little better (sort on things like "call from", "call to", time, date, etc.). I payed $20 for VoiParrot a couple years ago and wanted to know if anything for around the same price might offer my wife some extra benefit (she is starting a business soon). I have an old spare computer and just might try PIAF.

thks
GreekGeek

GreekGeek to tbrummell2

to tbrummell2
said by tbrummell2:

In Canada, as long as one person knows the conversation is being recorded, it's allowed. So, I record all calls on my PIAF, with a cron job to delete anything 120 days old. Never know when the recording may be needed.

Thks for the info... I think I'll brush the dust off my last computer and give PIAF a try.

Arne Bolen
User of Anveo Direct, 3CX and Qubes OS.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-21
Utopia

Arne Bolen to tbrummell2

Premium Member

to tbrummell2
said by tbrummell2:

In Canada, as long as one person knows the conversation is being recorded, it's allowed.

And that one person can be you?
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart to GreekGeek

to GreekGeek
»www.oxid.it/cain.html is a free (beer) program that can record VoIP, using ARP poisoning similar to VoiParrot. Though lacking the ability to sort by phone number, it supports many more codecs and has numerous other features.

In a non-adversarial application, I wouldn't recommend either program, because a failure of the app or underlying system will drop calls in progress and prevent establishment of new calls for up to several minutes. If the system is heavily loaded (with other apps), delayed or dropped packets can impair voice quality. There is also potential for disruption of non-VoIP network activity.

IMO, if you have a PBX, using its built-in recording features is best. Otherwise, use a managed switch or a hub to enable the recording app to access voice traffic, without having to relay it.
IamGimli (banned)
Canada

IamGimli (banned) to GreekGeek

to GreekGeek
said by GreekGeek:

said by IamGimli:

...it depends on both the computer it runs on ...

Could you tell me what you meant?

I meant exactly what I wrote. voiparrot is dependant on the computer it's running on and the voip ATA being connected to the same network HUB (switches or routers won't work, unless they can be configured to duplicate a network port, which is rare in cunsumer-grade equipment) to capture the voip packets.
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart

said by IamGimli:

... voiparrot is dependant on the computer it's running on and the voip ATA being connected to the same network HUB ...

That is not generally true; both VoipParrot and Cain use ARP poisoning to redirect the voice packets through the PC. See »www.sans.org/security-re ··· work.php

In your case, VoiParrot may have failed because of some security feature (or quirk) in your ATA or router, because a third-party software firewall on your PC blocked VoiParrot, or because of a configuration error.
IamGimli (banned)
Canada

IamGimli (banned)

said by Stewart:

said by IamGimli:

... voiparrot is dependant on the computer it's running on and the voip ATA being connected to the same network HUB ...

That is not generally true; both VoipParrot and Cain use ARP poisoning to redirect the voice packets through the PC. See »www.sans.org/security-re ··· work.php

In your case, VoiParrot may have failed because of some security feature (or quirk) in your ATA or router, because a third-party software firewall on your PC blocked VoiParrot, or because of a configuration error.

Well, it didn't work for me and the troubleshooting section of their help file said that's because they weren't both plugged into a hub, which THEY state is a requirement and it makes sense.

Either way it's still a clusterfuck of an application that could be better programmed by a five year-old. I think they found their web site in a box of Cracker Jack too.
GreekGeek

GreekGeek

Stewart is correct about VoiParrot using ARP poisoning and suprisingly you (IamGimpi) are correct that VoiParrot's troubleshooting guide says (in error) HUB.
GreekGeek

GreekGeek to Stewart

to Stewart
Thanks for the info Stewart. I think I'll fool around with PIAF and see what that can give me.... why do I think this is going to occupy a good bit of my time?? thks again