All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
eliprand
join:2009-06-28
Fort Collins, CO

eliprand

VDSL Modem recommendations for QWest (other than QWest...)

Hi,
I have had a Q1000 modem for almost 2 years now. While it works well as a modem, I feel cheated that QWest has not updated the firmware in that period of time, as "verbally suggested" by QWest-related people who probably are not allowed to represent the company.
Anyway, I was looking for alternatives for my 20/5 subscription. And I am starting to realize that I would rather avoid the whole Modem/Router/WiFI box-in-one. Any suggestions on Modems?

Alternatively, can anyone point me in the right direction to use my Q1000 as a Modem only... getting a router from somewhere else that has basic features like DynDns, IP Reservation, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Eric.
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil
join:2006-05-14
Colorado

1 edit

Bink

I have the Q1000 and have only used it as a modem since day one. To configure your Q1000 similarly, you should just need to go to the modem’s web page and click Advanced Setup, WAN IP Address, RFC 1483 Transparent Bridging and Apply and that’s it. Then configure your own router with your PPP username and password and you’re done.
bikenski
join:2010-06-22
Denver, CO

1 edit

bikenski

Qwest only supports a handful of devices on their VDSL2 service, so converting the Q1000 to bridging mode as suggested by Bink is almost certainly your best option. That way the Q1000 is strictly used as a DSL modem, and all of the "heavy lifting" can be performed by the router of your choice.

I use a Netgear WNDR3700 behind the Q1000 with great results, and there are a few newer offerings with even better performance. Check out »www.smallnetbuilder.com/ ··· rts/view for rankings and reviews.

bmv
@qwest.net

bmv to eliprand

Anon

to eliprand
I've been using a Q100 bridged to a router running Tomato for my 40/20 service with no downtime since I got the service a month ago. You can usually find them on ebay or craigslist for $20-30.
eliprand
join:2009-06-28
Fort Collins, CO

eliprand to Bink

to Bink
Thanks for the suggestion(s). I'll take a look at it in the coming days.

Regards,

Eric.