BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

4 edits

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

While you were sleeping good things were sent your way...

Some of you in the Tampa market have msg'd me asking about some changes you've noticed with your boxes this week...you aren't imagining things...some (depending on where you live) boxes were upgraded during the early morning hours on Tuesday.

Some of the key things you will notice with this upgrade are:

1) The "Press "Select" for Enhanced Services bar that used to be at the top left of your screen has been relocated to the channel information bar at the bottom of the screen. A simple but very nice change which will hopefully make those people who had issues with that information bar as we have discussed several times over the past year or so happy!

2) There is now a High Definition Option under the settings menu where you will now control output resolution, aspect ratio and picture size.

3) Starting Menu "DVR Compensation" which allows you to configure the amount of time to jump back or forward when going from FF/REW to play.

4) Increased Fast Forward Speeds for DVR users (up to 4x).

5) Start Over and Look Back Bookmarks - you now have the ability to resume a Start Over or Look Back session where you left off even if you change channels. I really like this feature!

6) Whole Home DVR users now have the ability to delete recorded programming from any converter on their Whole Home DVR network. YAY!!!!

I hope that answers all your questions collectively on this topic.

Those in the Tampa market who haven't received the upgrades need not worry. Your time will come soon enough...sit tight a few days.

opp
@rr.com

opp

Anon

As to #1 that's the way my SD 8300 has been (Orlando) unlike the post where someone was saying they got the big box that I get if I select it from channel banner. Glad they fixed it for others I was afraid might be other way around and mine might start doing it.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Yea prior to this the enhanced tv option was in a bar by itself in a somewhat annoying section of the screen. Now it still displays the big box but at least the option to use or not use enhanced tv is seemless to your viewing experience. Like I said a simple but nice touch.
Johnboy58
join:2011-06-20

Johnboy58

ISP,
Thanks for the heads up and great news.Also with WHDVR, will the client stb have the ability to pause live tv or not, since it will be capable of deleting recordings?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by Johnboy58:

ISP,
Thanks for the heads up and great news.Also with WHDVR, will the client stb have the ability to pause live tv or not, since it will be capable of deleting recordings?

No on the live TV part...sorry. The delete capability is a big deal though from my perspective. I only hope this leads to the ability to schedule recordings on the main DVR from the standard boxes. I realize there are only two tuners on each WHDVR but for most people that wouldn't be a big deal and with a little coding magic and an additional WHDVR main unit the software could just initiate recording on whichever WHDVR has a free tuner and nothing scheduled. That's where I hope this ultimately goes.

If the tech gods at BHN really want to make me jumping up and down happy they could enable the ethernet port on the boxes and make them DLNA capable and allow me to stream movies, pictures or music from my own collection and network when I don't want to watch standard TV. Now that would make me really really happy (and I suspect a whole bunch of others as well).
Art Deco
join:2011-04-27

Art Deco

Thank goodness for the DVR Compensation options. I am so glad to be able to turn it off since I DVR quite a bit of sports.
tim tim tim
join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim to BHNtechXpert

to BHNtechXpert
For some of you, the non cable card dvr's have had pretty much the same software that we just got on our newer cable card boxes. Some of you may not see a difference while others do, it just depends on the box you have.

If they figured out how to pause/rewind live tv from the client boxes I would jump for joy and possibly do a back flip or 2. Unfortunately, that would be a tough one since your client boxes aren't streaming through the DVR for regular TV.

opp
@rr.com

opp

Anon

said by tim tim tim:

For some of you, the non cable card dvr's have had pretty much the same software that we just got on our newer cable card boxes. Some of you may not see a difference while others do, it just depends on the box you have.

If they figured out how to pause/rewind live tv from the client boxes I would jump for joy and possibly do a back flip or 2. Unfortunately, that would be a tough one since your client boxes aren't streaming through the DVR for regular TV.

So, that's why my 8300 was already this way.
Satch
join:2009-11-25

Satch

What's the main reason why the ODN boxes, (i.e C-Model SA units and the Ciscos, and even the faster Samsungs,) are still not as fast as the MDN boxes? (No C, not a Samsung.) My relative's older SA-8300 MDN box just SMOKES in speed compared to my SA-8300HDC running ODN.

ODN speed has gotten better, but is still not close to legacy MDN, where the SA-8240 and SA-8300 ran like a dream. My engineer friends say that the JAVA in the boxes is still slowing them down.

Is it known what Brighthouse is doing to increase the speed of ODN boxes?

Satch
tim tim tim
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

those boxes aren't typically any faster. Actually, in my opinion they seem slower although I dont really know, Im used to my samsungs and think there all too slow haha..
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by tim tim tim:

those boxes aren't typically any faster. Actually, in my opinion they seem slower although I dont really know, Im used to my samsungs and think there all too slow haha..

The new Cisco/SA and Samsung boxes scream. Not sure what he's talkin about...there is NO comparison to those old boxes and what is available now.
Johnboy58

Johnboy58

I have WHDVR with 2 samsung dvr's and one samsung client stb.

I recieved the new update overnight,my 2 dvr's updated fine but my client stb has been stuck on "L-2" on the lcd screen and never updated.I've repeatedly tried rebooting and it hangs back on L-2.I called tech supp. and they will have somone here tomorrow.

Has anyone here have any issues with the client stb updating?

Should I leave the stb unplugged for a few hours and retry a re-boot?
tim tim tim
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

said by Johnboy58:

I recieved the new update overnight,my 2 dvr's updated fine but my client stb has been stuck on "L-2" on the lcd screen and never updated.I've repeatedly tried rebooting and it hangs back on L-2.I called tech supp. and they will have somone here tomorrow.

Unfortunately, when mass updates are pushed there are always a few that wont take it properly for some reason. there probably isnt anything you can do but have it swapped out if you have already tried rebooting.

Mine still havent gotten the update, I guess you guys are luckier than me
Johnboy58

1 edit

Johnboy58

@ Timtim

After quite a FEW reboots my client samsung stb finally updated to latest firmware.Phew...I called BHN and canceled the appointment,all is in working order...

Edit: After it updated it worked for like an hour then it went back into reboot mode on its own and has been stuck on L-3..grrr
tim tim tim
Lutz, FL

tim tim tim

Thats suprising, typically they either take it or they dont. I guess thats typically with older boxes too.
Satch
join:2009-11-25

Satch to Johnboy58

to Johnboy58
said by Johnboy58:

I received the new update overnight,my 2 dvr's updated fine but my client stb has been stuck on "L-2" on the lcd screen and never updated.I've repeatedly tried rebooting and it hangs back on L-2.I called tech supp. and they will have someone here tomorrow.

Hi John,

You can try leaving the STB unplugged for a few hours and than reboot, it won't hurt anything. Most likely though, it will get stuck again and the box will need to be swapped out. What model box do you have that did not take the update?

Satch

PS. Oh yea John, my SA-8300HDC updated like 3 times overnight within a process of a good 45 minutes. If your box is turned on now, I would almost let it sit for 90 minutes and let it get the next set of updates. If after 90 minutes has passed. you might want to call Brighthouse and reschedule that service call if it has not completed.
techspec
join:2010-10-09
Longwood, FL

techspec

The engineering dept is looking into the issue, they are not schl'ing techs at this time for this issue.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Guys please keep me up to date on how things are progressing for you. If it is not resolved in the next 24 hours please PM me.... thanks!