Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
join:2002-10-11
Tyrinaria
kudos:4
reply to Gomez

Re: OT - Punk ish Music From the Past

It's just a generational thing. We were full of idealism too, and our little skate bands encompassed it. Back then, I had an idea about politics, but only in the sense that if something seemed wrong, regardless of the deeper workings of it, I was against it. Ignorant side taking is the purest form of innocent choice, and maybe it's the morally correct choice, if not the sustainable one. I agree with Churchill; If you are 20 and not a liberal you have no heart, if you are 30 and not a conservative you have no brain.

In short, your anti-establishment was just a different way of expressing your idealism than the more specific lyrics in our gens music. I can see the appeal of something that is more vague in order to appeal to a larger audience base, and for a longer time; but I can still listen to my old music for the sound, even if I no longer completely agree with the message.

Totally agree that NOFX kicked ass sticking with their message against the pig ass music industry, though.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWvIqZL0wNQ

--
Play DSLr Mafia: »Pub Games

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are
Premium,Ex-Mod 06-11
join:2001-02-21
Atlanta, GA

1 recommendation

said by Kristopher:

It's just a generational thing. We were full of idealism too, and our little skate bands encompassed it. Back then, I had an idea about politics, but only in the sense that if something seemed wrong, regardless of the deeper workings of it, I was against it. Ignorant side taking is the purest form of innocent choice, and maybe it's the morally correct choice, if not the sustainable one. I agree with Churchill; If you are 20 and not a liberal you have no heart, if you are 30 and not a conservative you have no brain.

Turning into an interesting discussion point.

I don't think it's a generational thing. As much as I would like to the baby boomers invented angst, we didn't. it's been there through the history of music.

The post BBs (the 80s kids), weren't satisfied with what was there, so they reinvented it, and made it their own.. their recent history was disco, and stadium rock, not much to go on other than a few gems. The reinvention later moved to grunge and hard core rap (90s) as there was no central ground with the majority of stuff in the 80s..

But idealism, the angst, the political slants have always been there.
--
It's a fact : Chicks dig Mafia players.
'Wanna help buy a goat?' - »www.kiva.org

brian
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Lake Forest, CA

said by Gomez:

this is truth.

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria
reply to Gomez

said by Gomez:

Agreed, but generationally they've been expressed in different ways.
--

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6

This generation it's expressed by apathy.

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria

said by drew:

To be followed by the next generations attitude of acceptance.
--

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are
Premium,Ex-Mod 06-11
Atlanta, GA
reply to Kristopher

said by Kristopher:

said by Gomez:

Agreed, but generationally they've been expressed in different ways.

Expressed by prevalence of political correctness in the society. The idealists and the truly angry don't care.. Those pushing opinions do. But they all have to worry about getting contracts and selling records.

Thus the really weak stuff we see today. If you don't meet modern PC standards, contracts and distribution is a bitch. Epitaph is the last man standing in that regard, else self produce.

The outliers of the generation probably didn't want to change, they had no option.
--

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are
Premium,Ex-Mod 06-11
Atlanta, GA
reply to drew

said by drew:

No worries.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcOpZhQ7MEM

Dashboard confessional will find their way.
--

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium
join:2001-01-16
Saratoga, NY

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=otZ1SfwbE64&ob=av2e

Always loved this video... good song too