Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

Kearnstd to gweidenh

Premium Member

to gweidenh

Re: Tired of renting Comcast's modem. Which to buy?

said by gweidenh:

Do you need DOCSIS 3.0? What speed tier are you on.

If not, look around and available DOCSIS 2.0 modems... I found a linksys CM100 on clearance at a local Target for $15... I would check out Fry's and see what they have as well.

Took 3 minutes on the phone to activate with Comast, and has been working great for over a year. ROI of 2 months was a no brainer for me.

In a DOCSIS 3 area a lower tier user will still benefit from the channel bonding.

so for example right now if my Moto 5xxx series loses a channel I am offline until it gains sync again. but on a D3 modem even with their basic 12mbit package it can lose a downstream channel and keep on trucking... and in some areas that applies to upstream too.

Actually Comcast should push D3 modems for everyone because spreading load across channels will help speed for everybody.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

HEAR HEAR !!

PGHammer
join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd
True.

I have an ARRIS WBM-760A (picked up at Comcast Lanham/Seabrook on Annapolis Road), and I have the Performance plan. No upstream bonding since I swapped (US light has remained yellow), however, DS has been solid-green (bonding active) from the jump (all ports are gigabit from PC to modem - including the router between them).

Okay - took a peek at the browser-based diags (same IP as Motorola). DS bonding is indeed active, but US bonding is not (US is DOCSIS2/ATDMA). Looks like its external to the modem (possible CMTS issues); also, analog goes away this month (real reason I went to Comcast Lanham/Seabrook - to pick up a CableCard self-install kit [Motorola MediaCipher M-card]).