share rss forum feed

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

[TWC] Record more than two shows?

Is TWC going to offer the ability to record more than two shows at the same time on their DVRs? Why I ask is that sometimes I have more than two shows I want to record and then I want to watch another show on the same box.

I have the TWC Cisco Explorer 8642HDC box, two of them, as part of my Signature Home Package.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:9

As the box only has 2 tuners it may be impossible as it can only tune to two channels at once!

I have three DVRS. It easy!

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX
reply to trparky

I thought with whole home dvr one could record 4 shows at once. At least that's what the commercials are touting.
--
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. - Sir Winston Churchill

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

That must mean that it records four shows on two boxes.

I was thinking that in the case of this particular box, it uses a CableCard in the back. Shouldn't it be firmware upgradable to support more tuners?
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog

Suit Up

join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA
reply to juilinsandar

said by juilinsandar:

I thought with whole home dvr one could record 4 shows at once. At least that's what the commercials are touting.

Yes it can. But you have to sign up for the whole home service, even if you don't need it.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:9

Its two tuners per DVR, Two DVR's 4 recordings.

From The Faq

Question:
What is Whole House DVR (Digital Video Recorder)?
Answer:

Whole House DVR is an exclusive feature of the SignatureHome™™ experience that allows you to record a program on one DVR and watch it from any set-top box in your house that is connected to your home network.

With Whole House DVR you can:

Watch programs previously recorded or currently recording on DVR set-top boxes on all set-top boxes connected to your home network.
Pause, fast-forward, and rewind recorded content on any set-top boxes connected to the home network.
Start watching a recorded program in one room and finish it in another.
Record up to four HD shows simultaneously.*
Store up to 150 hours of HD content, or over 400 hours of SD programming.*

*SignatureHome™ includes two networked HD DVRs. You can set up more DVRs on your home network to increase the number of shows you are able to record simultaneously and storage capacity. Each additional DVR can record up to two more HD shows simultaneously and store up to 75 hours of HD content.

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

join:2004-02-05
New York, NY
reply to trparky

Get a Ceton InfiniTV 4 CableCARD tuner if you want a DVR that can record more than 2 shows at once.

There's also a 6-tuner model in the works and a HDHomeRun PRIME 6-tuner model (requires 2 CableCARDs)

marc3565

join:2009-10-08
reply to trparky

Some channels repeat their shows a lot..
The series recordings seem to adjust for me automatically when there is a conflict.

Steve Mehs
Gun Control Is Using A Steady Hand
Premium
join:2005-07-16
kudos:1
reply to trparky

If you're talking about new episodes of the latest series on the networks, A&E, USA, Syfy, HBO, Showtime and such, check out Time Warner’s On Demand offerings. In many instances new episodes of current series are available On Demand within 24 hours of original airing.

ChillyCat6

join:2004-09-07
Chesterland, OH
reply to trparky

The TiVo Premiere Elite is essentially a supped up TiVo Premiere DVR, expanding two tuners to four. Meaning you can operate (record and/or watch) 4 television channels simultaneously. However, the Premiere Elite is limited to digital cable broadcasts, whereas the TiVo Premiere can also handle analog cable and over-the-air (OTA) broadcasts. Bundled with the additional tuners is additional capacity – to the tune of two terabytes, good for 300 hours of high def recording. I’d wondered if TiVo intended to integrate MoCA networking and, indeed, they will retain that functionality with this retail offering. However, Ethernet and wireless (as an accessory) are also supported as a means of acquiring guide data and streaming Netflix.

Satch

join:2009-11-25

A lot of divisions have Whole House DVR, where you don't need to have Signature Home to get it now.

Jack

ChillyCat6

Chesterland, OH

said by Satch:

A lot of divisions have Whole House DVR, where you don't need to have Signature Home to get it now.

They have it avail here in NEO.

Unfortunatly, it also comes with horrible......truly horrible software. I like the STB's that are given out, but are just crippled having to use that OS. Had they taken a que from the best in industry "TIVO" , I'd betcha their business of that product would be 10 fold. No one in this industry comes close to incorporating the whole TV recording thing like TIVO.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12

said by ChillyCat6:

No one in this industry comes close to incorporating the whole TV recording thing like TIVO.

DirecTV does. And bests Tivo on many fronts.

ChillyCat6

Chesterland, OH

1 edit

said by Matt3:

DirecTV does

If SAT was the only option, by all means DTV is the best
.... probably a reason why DTV customers purchase a "TIVO'd" DTV Receiver

rv65
Premium
join:2008-08-02
USA!!!!

The new DirecTivo doesn't even support MRV, so it wouldn't be a good MR-DVR experience.

ChillyCat6

Chesterland, OH

No idea what MR or MRV is

why do you always abbreviate ??

Pretend i'm just stoopid, and say [type] the whole word. Easier for us dumb-arses.

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX

said by ChillyCat6:

No idea what MR or MRV is

why do you always abbreviate ??

Pretend i'm just stoopid, and say [type] the whole word. Easier for us dumb-arses.

Bing.com is your friend!

MV-DVR, Multi-room DVR.

ChillyCat6

Chesterland, OH

said by chamberc:

Bing.com is your friend!

What the heck is a bing ????? (and it's deffinatly NO friend of mine)

anyhow.........this thread's discussing recording more than
2 shows at a time, and all of a sudden wer'e dragging some
multi room thing into the mix. ........ absolutly nothing to do
with the OP's question. Sheeeeeeeesh......

bing ? Are you freaking serious ? Really?