Formerly known as Carnage
Premium
join:2001-05-15
Pickering On
kudos:2
reply to ermno

Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

said by ermno :

Bet this will be as popular as condition zero and the main users will stick with cs:s and the hardcore fans with 1.5 or was it 1.6?

Fairly certain fans have been asking for ep3 and or hl3 and not another cs.

You make a good point but I'm sure a good majority of the Source players will switch to it if it's done properly. The 1.6 die hards will probably never leave 1.6 but that can't be avoided.
--
"The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't, are both right. Which one are you?"

Babbat
Blissfully Ignorant
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Long Island
reply to Kenny Rogers
All of us old fogeys playing CS? the horror, good sir. The horror.

mythology
Premium
join:2002-10-16
Seneca, SC
reply to LaZ3R
Any screen shots? Is it using the same old engine? I stopped playing CS due to it looking like crap compared to modern games.

LaZ3R
Premium
join:2003-01-17
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
said by mythology:

Any screen shots? Is it using the same old engine? I stopped playing CS due to it looking like crap compared to modern games.

It's using an updated version of source. That's the only thing known about it "graphic" wise at the moment. There's a gaming event at the end of this month I believe where gameplay and screenshots could be released possibly.
--
Life is a game of blackjack. You keep playing until you bust.
Expand your moderator at work

LaZ3R
Premium
join:2003-01-17
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to LaZ3R

Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

VIDEO PREVIEWS!

»www.ign.com/videos/2011/08/25/co ··· ?show=HD

»uk.ign.com/videos/2011/08/25/cou ··· the-bomb

»uk.ign.com/videos/2011/08/25/cou ··· d=115451
--
Life is a game of blackjack. You keep playing until you bust.

Ryan
Premium
join:2001-03-03
Braintree, MA
reply to LaZ3R
Meh looks underwelming. I like the graphics and this might cause a surge of new players, but after playing cs for years (started with the beta mod) seeing the exact same thing with just upgraded graphics (AGAIN) kind of doesnt do it for me. I was hoping for all new maps and weapons and whatnot. From the preview it looks for the most part same old CS and I am sure most of the servers will be running dust...

The Flash
Go Leafs Go
Premium
join:2002-10-17
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
agreed looks more of the same, like Dota 2...

I understand not breaking a working formula, but you can only rehash so many times...cough CoD ahem.

alamarco
Premium
join:2003-06-18
Windsor, ON
I wouldn't use CoD as an example considering how successful it is. CoD was able to get new life through their new multi-player scheme. I was hoping that CS would implement something similar, but I guess not.

Seems like updated graphics, a few map changes here and there and that's it.

Uncle Paul

join:2003-02-04
USA
reply to LaZ3R
This version will allow cross platform play between PC/Mac/PS3.

»www.anandtech.com/show/4689/new- ··· orm-play

Vamp9190
Premium
join:2002-02-11
Chantilly, VA
reply to LaZ3R
Eh, I stopped playing CS around when Source came out, not because of Source, but just because I was burned out on CS overall. Lol, I will probably pick up CSS on Steam when it goes on some $5 super sale though.

No matter, BF3 will set the new standard that I doubt anyone else will be able to touch.

KoshVorlon
B B R
Premium,Mod
join:2000-06-28
Babylon 5
reply to LaZ3R
I needed something just like this to play. I was watching some game play on youtube. The maps still look very familiar. I'm going to grab it.

Hope to see you all online again.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
reply to LaZ3R
I still play CSS regularly, and either my reflexes are slowing as I age, or kids these days are just faster.
That being said, please no more dust or dust2, I can't take it anymore!
--
~ Project Hope ~

Jay_
Premium
Pickering On
I just pre-ordered CS:GO last night. With a pre-order the game is now available to play in the Beta form. So I got the Beta all isntalled last night and looking forward to putting in some play time on it tonight to get a feel for it.

I played CS from Beta through to Source pretty heavily over the years. Source i've played on and off since it's release so I'm hoping CS:GO will be just as much fun for me.
--
"The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't, are both right. Which one are you?"

KoshVorlon
B B R
Premium,Mod
join:2000-06-28
Babylon 5

1 edit
reply to LaZ3R
Yeah, I have been playing a bit today already.

quote:
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
- Pre-Purchase and get access to the beta starting on August 14th!
- Pre-Purchase and save 10% . . . $13.49 USD.

Still trying to get back into the swing of things, setting up all my key binds. All the maps are pretty much the same patterns, just updated graphics.

Been having lots of fun so far. Need to find some common/fav servers to put in a thread so we can all meet up.

Anyone interested in finding me:
»steamcommunity.com/id/koshvorlon

Arsinic

join:2011-02-17
Ruffs Dale, PA
reply to LaZ3R
I've had this beta for about a month now, but jsut really startd playing the last 2.5 weeks or so. It does feel a lot like source, the low tickrate is kind of annoying. Having not play CS for like 4 years it was a rough first few rounds adjsuting form a BF3 rambo playstyle.

The gfx do look a bit better movements and such look more fluid IMO. The maps have been slightly altered, somethings better. Ine thing I like is that If you choose to be an AWP whore, you better not die as you kills only earn 50% money as a regular gun. There are more game modes by default. Currently the party invite system is really wonky, I havent successfully used it when palying with pals.

All in all its been fun playing but nothing really ground breaking.

Tehuno

join:2005-01-18
Bartlesville, OK
Thats awesome news about the AWP. so frustrating to finally kill an awp whore, only for them to have 16k the next round and repeat the cycle.

Gonna buy this when i get home.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
canada
I can't remember the last time I played on a FF server that allowed AWP, or Auto-snipers, except on special occasions.

--
~ Project Hope ~

Rogue Wolf
Ate the Leftover Chicken You Had Saved

join:2003-08-12
Troy, NY
reply to Arsinic
I dunno, I think the "half-cash" thing for the AWP is a copout. They've had years to balance that weapon, make it more difficult to use, rather than it being the "go-to" weapon for 95% of the playerbase. I mean, watch any CS montage- what's the majority of the footage? AWP / Desert Eagle, quickswitchin' to avoid that reload animation all day.

I bet all the "pro" players pulled out the pitchforks and torches at the merest whisper of an idea to alter the weapon somehow. I remember the uproar when it stopped being a one-hit killshot anywhere on the body.
--
I may have been born yesterday, but I've spent all afternoon downtown.

Jay_
Premium
Pickering On
I don't understand why people still say the awp is so "easy" to use. Don't get me wrong, in the right hands the AWP is definitely game changing but it's far from the noob stick so many people make it out to be.

As for CS:GO itself, it's pretty good. I played for a good 2-3 hours last night and had a blast. Feels enough like Source that your skill level should persist into CS:GO.

No more silencers is a bit of a bummer as I used to love the M4 silenced. The AWP zoom blurs and sways when you run around with it zoomed. The buying menu sucks. They moved some of the number options around which makes buying a bit of a task right now as you have to relearn where everything is but they do still have the Rebuy option which helps.

The main problem I have right now is it's sometimes hard to tell the difference between the T models and the CT models. I was afraid of this when I first learned of the game as most times when people try to make a game more "realistic" it ends up all blending in. Probably just need to get used to it tho.

The maps look good. Some of have very small changes to the layout to try and help balance them out (especially Dust1 but still quite CT sided). Nuke has changed a bit also. There is no back hallway outside that leads to the basement and the inside bombsite has big white silos that help provide cover from people who are above in the rafters.

All and all.. Pretty good release! I'm happy they didn't change EVERYTHING because CS was fun as it was.
--

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
canada
Screenshots possible?

Jay_
Premium
Pickering On

1 recommendation

Don't have any right now but I will try to take some tonight.

Arsinic

join:2011-02-17
Ruffs Dale, PA
reply to Rogue Wolf
The AWP also doeshave a few other differences. I hadn't actually used one until last night. First off the initial zoom in takes a second to gain focus when you first bring the sight up there is a glare and out of focus view, and everytime you move the glare and blur resurface. The rload seems slower than Source, but that may just be me being out of CS for so long. The thing still hits like a truck though. Can still get one shots without headshots.

The Famas used to be my favorite weapon. However the burst fire on it is terrible now, even from a few yards away the spread ensures all 3 bullets arent hitting.

I made sure I bought the molotov/ incidiery grenade each round adn I really like the way it works. Really good for stopping a rush, or getting easy kills of people caught in it.

Jay_
Premium
Pickering On
I took 50% off my own HP due to a Molotov last night. Was playing office and tried to throw it over a desk. Then jumped into the crevice to creep my way through the desk but got stuck in a monitor or something and couldn't move out of it.. haha..

Went from 100 to 50 in no time.

It's definitely a rush stopping tool tho.
--

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
canada
Hah, sounds great.

McFly
Premium
join:2001-09-03
Carleton Place, ON
reply to LaZ3R
BBr reunion. I'm in.

Tehuno

Bartlesville, OK
reply to LaZ3R
Picked this up the other night, and felt the rush of nostalgia. No silencers does suck for sure, and the AWP is no longer a weapon you can be really mobile with anymore(as it should be).

Liked the offline bot modes, and the built in gungame mode is cool too.

If you liked 1.6 or source, its worth the 13 bucks to pick this up.

drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
AWP is the best part of CS. Not sure why people want it nerfed or are glad it was.

Tehuno

Bartlesville, OK
said by drew:

AWP is the best part of CS. Not sure why people want it nerfed or are glad it was.

1 person starts awping, then it turns into 5 people on each team awping, making it nigh impossible to do any good on a map WITHOUT awping. Thats not fun.

It was also better than it should be in short-mid range situations. You shouldnt be able to be scoped looking 1 way, and change targets to something 10 feet away from you in the complete opposite direction and have no drawbacks.

Its still a great distance weapon, but its more balanced now.

This is coming from someone who awp whored a LOT back in 1.6.

KingOfPants
Premium
join:2002-11-11
Canada

1 recommendation

reply to LaZ3R
Had forgotten how crummy I was at counter strike. Shoot, played it since WON, sucked then too. Can't ever seem to to kill a damn thing, the spray patterns are so wide.

Me crouched not moving shooting in bursts misses the kill, get killed by a guy strafing left while standing.

Getting me so mad. Ha