spc
Search similar:

uniqs

inGearX
3.1415 9265
join:2000-06-11
New York

inGearX

How to ship something to my self to another city ... ?

What are all of the available options we can think of that a person can use to ship something to him/her self to another city that they will later arrive at?

I will be in Reno, Nevada on August 27th...

but I want some thing to be shipped to there now...

and order some things to my self from eBay...

are there any ways to do this?

USPS can hold it?

or UPS? or FedEx?

Maybe a hotel/motel?

what else?

thank you...

Xioden
Premium Member
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY

1 recommendation

Xioden

Premium Member

There is a "Hold for pickup" option, although I don't know if that will work without actually having an address in the locale, alternatively if you are staying at a hotel you could likely have the hotel hold it for you.

inGearX
3.1415 9265
join:2000-06-11
New York

inGearX

said by Xioden:

There is a "Hold for pickup" option, although I don't know if that will work without actually having an address in the locale, alternatively if you are staying at a hotel you could likely have the hotel hold it for you.

right if I will book a motel/hotel/hostel... I guess they will receive on my behalf and hold it - I HOPE
I guess I better speak to a particular person who works there ... and OK it with them and tip them...

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

Cabal to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
We have repeatedly shipped stuff to hotels (for trade shows, etc). Just call them in advance and let them know to expect it.

AlphaOne
I see
Premium Member
join:2004-02-21

AlphaOne to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
When I moved from New Jersey to California, I shipped boxes addressed to me.
But added my friend's name under my name, addressed to my friend's address.
I timed it, so that I'll be there in time to receive it.

If sending it to a business address or a hotel, address it to yourself then underneath it put "C/O" then the name of the establishment.
Make sure you call and tell them the arrangment prior to the delivery.

But Ebay purchases ???? If I'm the shipper, I won't deal with you.

MagMan
Life is simpler when you tell the truth.
Premium Member
join:2003-10-01
Westlake, OH

MagMan to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
Will you be doing a cameo while there for Reno911?

Or just going to gamble?

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek

Premium Member

who goes all the way from new york to reno nevada to gamble. if you're going to go that far might as well just go to vegas. it's much more fun in vegas.

unless you want to gamble and hit up the bunny ranch, then reno is the place to go
Expand your moderator at work

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX

Re: How to ship something to my self to another city ... ?

You can hold a FedEx shipment at a FedEx Office (formerly FedEx Kinko's) location.
Expand your moderator at work
rfnut
Premium Member
join:2002-04-27
Fisher, IL

rfnut to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX

Re: How to ship something to my self to another city ... ?

In Vegas, some hotels charge a "handling fee", so ask about it up front.
FedEx "hold for pickup" has time limits.
You do not need a local address, but if it is a lot of stuff, they will get bitchy. We once sent 10 3'X3'X3' crates for hold at a Manhattan FedEx the size of the average living room. They had to leave a truck parked with the equipment until we picked it up.

Mr Neutron
Impassioned Gibberish
Premium Member
join:2005-05-30
Gorham, ME

Mr Neutron to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
said by inGearX:

You might want to have a word with eBay/PayPal, first, and see what changing your ship-to address entails.

Earlier in the year, I complied with the request of an Amazon seller. In my case, the seller asked that I change a line in the address field so they could be sure to meet a shipping requirement I had.

Well, never again.

Apparently, when you modify your ship-to address, Amazon takes this to mean that some sort of fraud is being perpetrated. So I was invited to key in all my credit card information again for each of the subsequent 2-3 orders I placed (Amazon's idea of fraud prevention, I guess).

Not the end of the world, certainly, but I'll think twice before ever tweaking my address again. I mention this because, if eBay/PayPal do something similar, changing your ship-to address with them might be more trouble than it's worth. Perhaps someone else here can speak to how, exactly, an address change works with those guys.
said by inGearX:

USPS can hold it?

I'm wondering if you could ship things to the post office in Reno c/o General Delivery and then call for it later. However, I'm not sure how that might work (or even if it would work) nowadays.
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

said by Mr Neutron:

said by inGearX:

USPS can hold it?

I'm wondering if you could ship things to the post office in Reno c/o General Delivery and then call for it later. However, I'm not sure how that might work (or even if it would work) nowadays.

Unless it's been cancelled in the last couple of years it does indeed still work. Just a couple of years ago I can remember driving my aunt/uncle to the post office to pick up general delivery mail not long after we moved to Tucson, AZ. We had to go to the main PO downtown and I didn't see how it was addressed so I don't know how you would do it but I can confirm it does still work.

My uncle gets meds shipped to him from the VA and our move fell in line with a refill point and since we didn't have an address they had to do that. But they did pick up other regular mail (bills and such) so it's not just because it came from the VA that they were able to do general delivery.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium Member
join:2002-06-05
Iowa

burner50 to inGearX

Premium Member

to inGearX
said by inGearX:

What are all of the available options we can think of that a person can use to ship something to him/her self to another city that they will later arrive at?

I will be in Reno, Nevada on August 27th...

but I want some thing to be shipped to there now...

are there any ways to do this?

USPS can hold it?

or UPS? or FedEx?

Maybe a hotel/motel?

what else?

thank you...

I used to do this when backpacking. Ship myself supplies to get at certain points on a long trip.

Just find a business to work it out with.

When I was doing tower work, I would often have parts overnighted to a hotel. Just call them and ask.