Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

2 edits

Mele20 to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15

Re: SuperAntiSpyware SASCORE.EXE?

It is not running on my computer. I didn't even know about it until I read this thread. I installed the latest version of SAS free a few minutes ago. I don't have sascore.exe running in task manager. I only use SAS for on demand scanning and it is shut down at the moment. I assume sascore.exe runs only when SAS is running?

Edit: I have it running a scan right now. There is no sascore.exe running.

Anyone have Avira and SAS? Two persons at Avira forum are currently saying after the latest SAS definition updates that Avira thinks SAS is a trojan TR/Spy.Spatet.BC and quarantines it.

Sigh. It still thinks that I have three "extremely serious threats" on my computer. They are the three registry keys needed to disable the Windows Security Center. That is deliberate and certainly not "threats". It wanted to delete them so I would then have that awful Security Center back. Geez....this is why I don't run stuff like this.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

3 edits

Dustyn

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by Mele20:

It is not running on my computer. I didn't even know about it until I read this thread. I installed the latest version of SAS free a few minutes ago. I don't have sascore.exe running in task manager. I only use SAS for on demand scanning and it is shut down at the moment. I assume sascore.exe runs only when SAS is running?

No it runs even if you're not using SAS.
Did you check services?
More than likely by default (even with the FREE version) it is set to AUTOMATIC and is RUNNING. I can verify this with the free version too.
Mine was SASCORE64.EXE. Keep in mind however I use the Pro version. Support will INSIST it's an ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY requirement to have it running at ALL TIMES... regardless if you use Pro OR Free. I am skeptical of course... but I leave it running for now.

kickass69
join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69 to Mele20

to Mele20
That's happened with both SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes Anti-Malware everytime I uninstall and reinstall the new versions of both for as long as the Security Center has been in XP. After I run the first scan for both, I just mark them for ignore on both and move on.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
Nope. NOTHING is running from SAS included that disliked logon service. That was the only thing that used to run in the past and you could not disable it.

I have SASCore.exe (no 64 in there...you must be on 64bit)? It is not running and not in XP Pro Services either. I have the other files mentioned. But nothing is running.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

1 recommendation

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Click for full size
I am on Windows 7 64 bit and it is running. But like I said. I only use SAS for on demand only with the freebie.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I don't have Scotty on this machine (have him on my Vista virtual machine though) so I am just looking at Task Manager and in Services and I have nothing showing in either place that has to do with SAS.

I turned off all the auto updating stuff. Maybe that is why? Maybe the installer didn't properly uninstall the earlier version of SAS thus this install is messed up? But it ran a short scan last night with no problems so.....

c00kies
@as9105.com

c00kies

Anon

I dont understand where the conspiracy is at all.

SAS is principally a malware remover and a good one at that.

Part of its operations is bound in with using drivers and a service to be preloaded inorder to bring its mojo when the time it is called for.

If it cant remove stuff because half its mojo has been neutered by the resource obsessed users then really its like having a guard dog and then pulling out its teeth..great logic guys!

There is no conspiracy if the vendor wont reveal the inner workings of their application..it called proprietry technology and maybe they want to keep it to themselves

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
SASCORE64.EXE is the 64-bit service module.
Perhaps one of your system protection products blocked/prevented the SASCORE.EXE installation from ever happening?
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to c00kies

Premium Member

to c00kies
I didn't "neuter" anything. I just turned off auto updating. Yet I have nothing running from SAS in Task Manager...not even the logon service that always ran in the past.

Most of us use SAS on demand only so why would we want a bunch of services running all the time from SAS when we do not use it in real time? I understood that the logon service always runs even when SAS is only used on demand but even that is not running on my computer since I installed this newer version.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey

Premium Member

When you look at your "services" in Administrative Tools, is it shown there? If so, what is its status? If not, maybe it was never installed.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
I have the 32 bit version of SASCore.exe installed. ProcessGuard did block the installation of the SAS driver until I told it to allow it. I have since checked Process Guard and SAS is protected by PG and has the necessary permits so that all looks fine. Plus, of course, if PG had refused to allow the driver to install I would not have been able to run a scan as I did. So, I don't see any interference beyond the original PG alert that it had blocked the driver from installing and I corrected that.

Is it normal to have SAS files going all the way back to 2007? The Help file is dated 2007!! And some other files are from earlier this year and from previous years. SASWINLO.dll is from May 2011. Maybe that is why it isn't running in Task Manager? When I went to install this new version, the installer said it needed to uninstall a previous version. I said fine and it appeared to do that but with files from many different years in D:\Programs....???? Maybe it just doesn't like where I installed it? C drive is quite full so I put it on the D drive wich is just a separate small volume that had been unallocated space for a long time.
Mele20

Mele20 to rcdailey

Premium Member

to rcdailey
said by rcdailey:

When you look at your "services" in Administrative Tools, is it shown there? If so, what is its status? If not, maybe it was never installed.

As I said earlier, it is not in Services. I am now thinking it doesn't like where I installed it. But the previous two versions were installed on D also and I don't recall if I saw either of them in Services. But I did have that winlogon process from SAS running in Task Manager until this new version. Maybe the problem is that it is ok with where I installed it but the installer didn't fully remove the previous version so it is only partially installed? But it ran a scan just fine.

Plus, it is in Start/Programs and has 5 entries there. What is "bootsafe"? I don't remember seeing that before but then I only occasionally run SAS on demand as I am not at all prone to getting spywares, viruses, etc so I have not paid a lot of attention to SAS other than to configure it when I installed a new version and then run a scan periodically. So, maybe the bootsafe has been around for awhile I just never noticed it until now? I haven't looked at the help file in so many years I had no idea it dates to 2007 until I started looking at the files just now! Maybe the help file is updated and just shows the original installation date when I use Explorer to look at the files.

kickass69
join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickass69

BootSafe has been around for awhile.

»www.superantispyware.com ··· ode_.htm

That answers your question as to what it is.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Thank you. That is a nice service particularly for average users who might find booting to safe mode confusing.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
Rialto, CA

1 edit

rcdailey to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
I think BootSafe has been around awhile, but the truth is that I normally just use the F8 key to select various "safe" booting modes. I never tried that BootSafe option or the "alternate start" option. The installation program should have installed SASCORE.EXE and you could change the setting to "manual" or "disabled" in services. I can't understand why it was not installed for you, but apparently it was not.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I just started it up and still the only process running in Task Manager related to SAS is "superantispyware.exe" and it is using a very small amount of memory.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
Rialto, CA

rcdailey

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

I just started it up and still the only process running in Task Manager related to SAS is "superantispyware.exe" and it is using a very small amount of memory.

Well, I have that and SASCORE.EXE running in Task Manager, so it is working for me the way I want it to, but that's because I run it real-time and want it to update automatically. Did you run a search to see if SASCORE.EXE exists on your system?
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I guess you missed it as I said earlier SAScore.exe is in the SAS program folder.

I think it must only run and create a service if you have SAS running in real time as you do and/or if you have automatic updates turned on as you do which makes complete sense because you are running it in real time. I, on the other hand, just run it occasionally on demand so I just update the definitions before I run it. I think these differences are why I don't have SAScore.exe running in Task Manager or shown in Services.

We both are happy as I am glad sascore.exe doesn't run in Task Manager since I am using SAS on demand only. I'm glad to have figured out why it is not running for me but is for you.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
Rialto, CA

1 edit

rcdailey

Premium Member

Yeah, I missed that about SASCORE.EXE, but that's where it should be located. Perhaps someone else who has auto updates turned off and has only the free version (no real-time) will confirm the same. So long as the scanner works on demand, that should be good enough.

However, I do think that the reason SASCORE.EXE is not running for you is that it was never installed as a service and therefore cannot run under any circumstances. I can disable mine or set it to manual, but if it were not listed as a service, I could not configure it at all.
mr nobody
join:2004-12-02

1 edit

mr nobody

In windows xp it's running C:\programs files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASCORE.exe I noticed it was annoyingly running in the background after the big update to 5.0, I turned off sascore.exe as I don't have the paid version and I already have a virus product running in the background.

On windows 7 it should be in the main program files folder. where ever it was installed too. you can find that out by just right mouse clicking on the icon it creates for it.