jvmorris
I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA
kudos:1

Rugby World Cup

Okay, guys, let's get those votes in!

How are England, Scotland, and Wales going to do in the Rugby World Cup?

The US has now been soundly trounced twice by Canada in the pre-Cup warm-up matches. (To be honest, until a week or so ago, I didn't even know the US had a Rugby team. )

Since I should be in the UK for the Cup competition, does anyone know which matches are likely to be available (and on what stations)?
--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

poacher 1rtd
Premium
join:2004-02-25
oxford UK

2 edits
said by jvmorris:

Okay, guys, let's get those votes in!

The US has now been soundly trounced twice by Canada in the pre-Cup warm-up matches. (To be honest, until a week or so ago, I didn't even know the US had a Rugby team. )

Since I should be in the UK for the Cup competition, does anyone know which matches are likely to be available (and on what stations)?

Looks like ITV is covering it and NBC.

»www.itv.com/rugbyworldcup/2011/matches/

Rugby World Cup Limited (RWCL) has announced today that, subject to contract, ITV has been awarded the UK Broadcast rights for Rugby World Cup 2011 in New Zealand and Host Broadcast rights for Rugby World Cup 2015 in England.

The announcement follows a rigorous process managed by RWCL's exclusive commercial agents IMG throughout June and July during which five parties submitted bids in response to the tender and subsequent shortlist process for the UK broadcast rights.

Under the terms of the new deal, ITV will broadcast live coverage of every match from the 2011 tournament in New Zealand and the 2015 tournament in England. All matches will also be shown online at ITV.com with the deal also encompassing highlights and clips packages on television, online and mobile.

»www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/news/···512.html

And NBC

»www.rugbyworldcup.com/mediazone/···tv+debut
--
los valientes no asesinan. Guillermo Prieto (1818-1897)

Some body once told me to read between the lines, I tried and could only see blank spaces.

jvmorris
Premium,MVM
Reston, VA
Oh, that's VERY good! (not so sure the wife will feel the same way, however)

And it's nice to hear about NBC Universal picking it up, also. For a bit there, I was worried that I'd be back in the US with no coverage before the elimination matches started.
--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

wonko3fc
Verbum sat sapienti

join:2001-06-02
UK
reply to jvmorris
said by jvmorris:

The US has now been soundly trounced twice by Canada

I'm lead to believe the same is true for various battles on home soil in the past few hundred years or so as well. Think you might just as well accept it as a given eh?

Expand your moderator at work

Soho97UK
Premium
join:2004-08-18
UK

1 edit
reply to jvmorris

Re: Rugby World Cup

said by jvmorris:

England has done well in the last two Cups(winners, and runners-up) so it's going to be hard for them to match that. Can't really see Scotland or Wales getting in a position to win it bar a miracle. I suppose the All Blacks and other Southern Hemisphere sides must start as favourites.

jvmorris
Premium,MVM
Reston, VA
Yes, according to the current standings (»www.irb.com/rankings/full.html ), New Zealand, Australia, and South Africa are currently at the top of the heap, followed closely by France and then England, Wales, Ireland, and Scotland, respectively.

After watching the US in their test matches with Canada and Japan, I doubt they will make it out of the first round.
--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

scrummie02
Bentley
Premium
join:2004-04-16
Arlington, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
The US looked good against Ireland - playing defense for what seems like 3/4 of the match will wear you out though and that's speaking from experience.

The Irish pack looked good and their win over Russia was expected. I think Italy is beatable.

England need to shape up a little. They looked slow against Argentina and losing Sheridan will hurt them.
--
"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f*cking them."
General Welfare

jvmorris
Premium,MVM
Reston, VA
Well, now. Having watched Ireland against Australia, . . . what does this all mean?

Tomorrow should be interesting.
--
Regards,
Joseph V. Morris

Soho97UK
Premium
join:2004-08-18
UK
It means a probable Northern/Southern hemisphere split for the quarter finals -

QF1: W Pool C v RU Pool D
- Ireland vs. Wales ?