how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gopcs

join:2005-11-16
Nashville, TN

[netopia] Data Rate changes

I have been using the Netopia 3347W for about 4 years or so. I subscribe to the 6Mbps service DSL from AT&T (Formerly Bellsouth).

Lately, I have been noticing that the Data Rate was slow. I go to the Netopia, and it reports Data Rate Downstream: 3296, for example. Sometimes, it may be 2500 or less. Then I click on Restart, and after Restarting the report is Data Rate Downstream: 7010Mbps. Then in a day or so, I check it, and the data rate has dropped again. Restarting it fixes it temporarily.

Is this an issue with the modem, or with the DSL service?

The Netopia 3347W software version is 7.4.2r3.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

gopcs

Nashville, TN
more info:

Current status
Downstream Upstream
---------- ----------
SNR Margin: 10.49 14.00 dB
Line Attenuation: 41.12 20.50 dB
Output Power: 19.51 11.97 dB
Errored Seconds: 1 1
Loss of Signal: 0 0
Loss of Frame: 0 0
CRC Errors: 2 0
Data Rate: 7040 512

From what I can find, these stats could be a bit better on the Downstream.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to gopcs
ADSL is adaptive the modem and DSLAM automatically compensate for various line impairments. It is not uncommon to see speed or margin to vary a little but not 8000 to 2500. As you surmise margin could be better, downstream transmit power is pretty much at max. Do you know what speed modem should be syncing at? Here in Verizon/FairPoint land upload is typically 768 Kbps with sync speed set to 864Kbps for the 7 Mbps package.

Does DSL share phone line? If so how is voice quality, any noise especially when the phone is first picked up? What about crosstalk, other voices? If voice service is not up to par call voice repair.

Be a good idea to connect the modem to the Phone Company NID test jack. See if sync speed is more stable. If so the problem is within your residence and your responsibility to correct.

/tom

gopcs

Nashville, TN
tom,
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, the DSL line also carries POTS line - no problem with voice service - no hum, no crosstalk, just clear conversation.
Over the past 6 months there have been 2 DSL outages that lasted several hours. When I called customer service, both times the recording said there was a known outage in the area, service should be restored by XX o'clock. I wonder if they were working on the cables in prep for U-verse. Maybe there is a loose connection "somewhere" now.
Hopefully it will become a hard failure, and I can open a trouble ticket.

gopcs

Nashville, TN
downloaddsl stats 20···0817.txt 6,309 bytes
dsl stats
The DSL service went down hard the other night. Called AT&T Cust Serv. The girl Candice was very courteous and helpful.

The DSL light on the Netopia 3347W was off. Candice ran tests, then said she had to get a Network person, and please hold. About 15 minutes later the DSL light started blinking, then turned solid Green. The DSL was up, and sync's at 7020kbps. So the Network person could not find a problem - all tests were ok.

Candice said that it could be a bad modem, and offered to send me one for $100. I declined. I ordered a 2Wire 2701HG-B from Ebay. I have not installed it just yet.

I have been collecting DST stats from the Netopia modem. I have attempted to attach the file.

I still believe there is an intermittent problem with the DSL line. It shows Errored seconds and CRC errors. I don't know how many are considered "too high".

Any suggestions are appreciated.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
Line stats "when you are connected" fluctuate a lot. 9 disconnects in three days is a problem unless that was you playing with the connection.

The good news is that start-up attempts equals loss of signal. What that means is that as long as there is a signal PPPoE session is stable. I have the opposite problem. Never lose signal but on occasion FairPoint (and previously Verizon) have trouble maintaining the PPPoE session.

See what happens with the new router but I'm betting there is a problem with the line.

What speed package do you have? Upload looks low for such a fast package, I would have expected sync speed around 864 kbps.

/tom

gopcs

Nashville, TN
Thanks, Tom. I suspect a DSL Line problem also. Just have to wait for it to fail totally, I suppose. In the mean time, I'll try out the new 2Wire modem.

AT&T's FastAccess 6.0Mbps service has advertised upload speed of "up to 512kbps". Pretty sad, huh?!

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2
reply to gopcs
You really would have been better off buying another 3347, rather than a 2Wire 2701HG-B; the 3347 is a far more solid and reliable unit.

gopcs

Nashville, TN
Ok - thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

At AT&T, the Netopia is technically a "business class" modem/router, and may not be supported in a residential environment. So I got the 2Wire 2707HG-B since it is a "residential class" modem/router, and AT&T does support it.

Here is the latest DSL Stats:

ADSL Line State: Up
ADSL Startup Attempts: 10
ADSL Modulation: ANSI
Datapump Version: 3.47
Downstream Upstream
---------- ----------
SNR Margin: 19.23 13.00 dB
Line Attenuation: 40.37 20.50 dB
Output Power: 19.40 11.97 dB
Errored Seconds: 1700 1700
Loss of Signal: 9 9
Loss of Frame: 0 0
CRC Errors: 1952 8
Data Rate: 4832 512

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
Milford, NH
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
said by gopcs:

At AT&T, the Netopia is technically a "business class" modem/router, and may not be supported in a residential environment.

Yea that can be a problem. The 3347 will work, I use a 3346 (non-Wifi) version with FairPoint. As long as as your ISP is using standards based ADSL any ADSL2/ADSL2+ complainant modem will work. If you are buying used want to make sure it supports ADSL2/ADSL2+. This is the second generation ADSL spec. An ADSL only modem will work but there are some performance benefits if both modem and DSLAM support ADSL2.

The problem is getting tech support to talk to you if you are not using one of "their" approved modems/routers.

/tom

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2
reply to gopcs
When I had trouble with my DSL connection, AT&T asked what modem I was using- I told them it was a 3347-02-1022. They then asked if this was a business connection and I said that it was residential. They never mentioned the modem again and went to work resolving the issue(s). So, based on my experience, the 3347 is completely supportable on a residential connection.

The irony is that AT&T sells both the 3347 and the 2701HG-B for the same price, but the customer gets far more for their money with the 3347.

gopcs

Nashville, TN
that's good to know! thanks