Search similar:

uniqs

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

4 recommendations

No_Strings

Tucker Wildlife Sanctuary

Appropriately, tucked deep in Modjeska Canyon, this tiny refuge from civilization is also an entry point to the Cleveland National Forest and the Santa Ana Mountains. The sanctuary borders Modjeska Creek which right now is little more than a trickle.

It takes longer to get in and out than it does to see the place, but for those with more patience than I, it offers some excellent opportunities to get close to Orange County's avian population. The drive back is worth the trip. Canyon folk are an eclectic bunch. You're just as likely to run across a Porsche 911 as you are a 60s vintage motorcycle that's been undergoing repairs since the 80s.

There are feeders, water areas and nesting boxes, benches and a glass wall viewing area. Many of the native plants are marked with signs for those interested in such things. Most of the feeders are in well shaded areas, and my flash was disturbing the birds. Apologies for the blur.

No admission is charged; donations are cheerfully accepted.

A rather ratty looking finch

The turtles pose ... for tips

Poppies? The looked similar, but too yellow

Some sage-looking thing

A woodpecker, warily eyeing me.

Jays do not sit still ... ever

Yes, it's a creek. Check back in January.

Yellow flower

Another angle on the woodpecker

This jay stands out against a drab background

Hiding in what little creek is left was this guy

This canyon wall was home to thousands of swallows.

brian
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mission Viejo, CA

brian

Premium Member

looks neat. got an address or at least the road it's on?

No_Strings

The OC

No_Strings

You bet.

»www.tuckerwildlife.org/

From CSUF South on the 57 Freeway, east on the 91, south on the 55 freeway.

Exit on Chapman, and go east. This road becomes Santiago Canyon Road and turns south. Continue on Santiago Canyon Road, past the 241 toll road and Irvine Lake and past Silverado Canyon.

Watch for the sign "Wildlife Sanctuary" on the right side of Santiago Canyon Road as you approach Modjeska Canyon Road. turn left on Modjeska Canyon Road.

Drive through the olive trees, across a small bridge and make a left around the large oak tree at the "T" in the road. Continue on Modjeska Canyon Road past the fire station to the end of the public road. The museum is on your left. Park on the street or in the gravel lot just beyond the sanctuary.

From South County Take El Toro Road north. It changes to Santiago Canyon Road. Turn right on Modjeska Canyon Road and follow the instructions above.

brian
Premium Member
Mission Viejo, CA

1 recommendation

brian

Premium Member

Thanks.
said by No_Strings:

From South County Take El Toro Road north.

awesome... my new 'hood is going to be off of el toro and trabuco.

No_Strings

The OC

No_Strings

You'll be minutes away from Whiting, Black Star, Limestone, Harding and a few other places I've documented here. Bring your hiking shoes.

brian
Premium Member
Mission Viejo, CA

brian

Premium Member

I've wanted to visit these places, and now I won't have an excuse to not do that.

TheHarvester
Premium Member
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA

1 recommendation

TheHarvester to No_Strings

Premium Member

to No_Strings
Can you two get a room or something?

Nice pics there No_Strings See Profile. I need to get out more, I didn't even know that place existed. Hell, it must have been 25 years since I've been down Modjeska, Black Star or Silverado canyon roads.

No_Strings

The OC

No_Strings

If I lived in Dana Point, I'd probably be hanging out with this guy instead:

Shot from a fishing boat off Dana Point

There's so much to enjoy in Southern California. Outsiders think of our home as one big, overcrowded, noisy freeway. Fortunately, they're wrong and it's fun to share a little bit of our slice of heaven.

Several people post pictures of their adventures, and it's always enjoyable to see them.

TheHarvester
Premium Member
Dana Point, CA

1 recommendation

TheHarvester

Premium Member

All so true, as a matter of fact I was hanging out with your little California Brown friend just a few days ago. I also spent the evening after work on Friday out on Irvine lake and, in a wek and a half, will be spending 4 days and 3 nights out in Julian which will include a day on lake Cuyamaca hopefully catching and not fishing. I'll try to get some pictures but my photo skills and my eye for what is good... well, isn't all that good. I always say "I push the button thousands of time and every once in a while... my camera takes a great picture".

I am one of the many who do enjoy seeing the pictures.

brian
Premium Member
Mission Viejo, CA

brian to No_Strings

Premium Member

to No_Strings
I've seen that guy on the San Clemente Pier:

This is is right after the kid almost lost a hand or eye to the pelican. I was unfortunately looking the other direction at the time.

TheHarvester
Premium Member
Dana Point, CA

TheHarvester

Premium Member

That little bastard gets around.