jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay

MVM

What's with your mailserver, IP 69.17.117.49

I just posted the following in the Comcast Forum due to getting no help from my own ISP, Speakeasy/Megapath. I am posting it here to so that if anyone from Speakeasy/Megapath sees it, they will be embarrassed enough to do something to rememdy their issue, and obviously mine as well. Posting Trouble Tickets has done nothing to reslove the issue and after weeks of on and off not being able to deliver my email, Speakeasy/Megapath continue to have one of their servers considered a Spam deliverer. Shame on you, Speakeasy/Megapath!

"Speakeasy/Megapath server IP 69.17.117.49 Blocked by Comcast

I do not have an account with Comcast. I have had an account with Speakeasy since late in 1999. I am now pleading for help from you guys as to a situation that Speakeasy/Megapath either can't or won't get cleared up.

Speakeasy was combined with Megapath and Covad fairly recently. Until then, I have never had a problem with my mail. Since then, I have had nothing but problems, mostly due to Comcast thinking that the mail server my mail uses is a Spammer, IP 69.17.117.49. I have posted to Speakeasy/Megapath many trouble tickets re: my mail problem. I am continually getting mail returned due to the following: "Connected to 76.96.62.116 but greeting failed.
Remote host said: 554 imta36.westchester.pa.mail.comcast.net comcast 69.17.117.49 Comcast Blocked for spam". I have contacted my administrator over and over and have gotten nothing in return in my TTs.

Does anyone here have any idea how I can get my mail delivered? The IP 69.17.117.49 is not a Spammer, or at least I am not. What can I do?

If you need anyone from here, DSLR, to vouch for me and for not getting the mail I am trying to send them, please let me know that. I have been offered help by one of your customers to whom I cannot email. Thank you."
jaykaykay

jaykaykay

MVM

Just posted to Megapath/Speakeasy's pending TT, (one of them!):

"At this time, the IP is not blocked from sending email by Comcast," as quoted by someone in the know.

It's likely that I am sharing that IP with other senders, so once you actually get it cleaned up for all other ISPs:

MEGAPATH, WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO KEEP THAT IP CLEAN?
swindmill
join:2002-07-12
Ann Arbor, MI

swindmill

This IP is listed on a few RBLs:

»www.anti-abuse.org/multi ··· 7.117.49

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

jaykaykay

MVM

I know that. This IP is a mail server from Speakeasy. It is the mailserver from which my mail has been sent for over 11 years! That's why I made my post. I cannot get my mail delivered, although Comcast mail is now going through...until it's blocked again.

Kambriel
join:2001-02-10
Beachwood, NJ
·Verizon FiOS
·T-Mobile

Kambriel

I don't see any mention of resolve, but I was a long-time Speakeasy DSL user who moved to Florida and couldn't get their service, but kept my e-mail and news service with them for the past 8 years (customer for total of 11-12 years). I've had BrightHouse Networks and they seem to also be blocking 69.17.117.59 since the last week of August. It's not blacklisted on the anti-buse site, but I can't POP or IMAP to that server (trace and ping work just fine). I have a Verizon air card and when I connect to the Internet using that (instead of BrightHouse), I can POP again without making any config changes. I'm going to vent on the BrightHouse forum, but was somewhat relieved to see this toward the top of the Speakeasy issues.

BTW - After opening a ticket with Speakeasy to see if there was some sort of settings change in this post-Megapath acquisition and got a reply from one tech who tried to help. He wrote that if his suggestion didn't work, I should call for additional support. Last night I did that and I've never had a worse support experience. This "tech" was completely monotone and burned out like he'd been doing 1st level support for the past 20 years. He kept putting me on hold and when he did speak, it was to say that they don't really support mail clients. After 40 minutes, I hung up (about half of that time was hold) as I tried the air card and found what appears to be the issue.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium Member
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

Stacy to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
Like Kambriel See Profile I left Speakeasy several years ago for a Time Warner package deal but kept my old Speakeasy email account. I've had this account since 1998 or 1999 so I get a lot of mail through Speakeasy.

Sometime overnight the mail server has stopped recognizing my username and when I tried to login and contact support, the website didn't recognize me either. I was able to check the system status without logging in and it indicated the email block is still unresolved. Could that be what's preventing me from sending and receiving mail?

Kambriel
join:2001-02-10
Beachwood, NJ
·Verizon FiOS
·T-Mobile

Kambriel

While I can't get either ISP to reveal who is doing it, my current IP range is unable to get to the Speakeasy mail servers. I suspect someone in my range was either spamming or attempting to spam and some admin thought it was the easiest solution to ban a range instead of an IP or working it through with the host ISP. My attempt at a fix is going to be a shot-in-the-dark: exchanging my modem for a different one. If the MAC changes, then I may get a different IP range that will resolve the issue. It's just difficult to find the time to do this, but I will update my posts on this if it works.

bhan261
join:2001-02-12
New York, NY

1 edit

bhan261 to jaykaykay

to jaykaykay
This all makes me very glad I've never used Speakeasy email. In fact, I can't even remember the last time I logged in to webmail to clean out the spam.

Edit: Well, this is interesting.... I just tried to login and it says I'm entering an incorrect username or password. Both are correct so clearly something has happened at SE/Megapath that fubar'd the account. Hmmmmm....

Further edit: Called customer service (was on hold for about 15 minutes). They had changed my password, without telling me, because someone was apparently using the account for spam. The rep was nice enough, but this wasn't a complicated problem.

tbrisco
join:2002-12-20
New York, NY

tbrisco

said by bhan261:

Further edit: Called customer service (was on hold for about 15 minutes). They had changed my password, without telling me, because someone was apparently using the account for spam. The rep was nice enough, but this wasn't a complicated problem.

Maybe this explains why the IP address wound up on RBL/XBL lists? I don't tend to have any problems originating SMTP from my home server -- but once an IP address is on one of the BLs, it can be tough to get it off again.

Service level has gone down. Once they cut my area over to Covad links (my traceroutes changed), I now get 1/2 of the bandwidth I used to. Tech support was pretty much "well, your line shows clean". It looks as though the Covad peering is seriously hurting -- I'm ok on the local loop -- but some of the handoff points have +/- 35ms variance.

Looking closely at Verizon's FIOS service now.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to bhan261

MVM

to bhan261
said by bhan261:

This has become a common problem. Theft of accounts, whether the password is too easy to guess, or falls to dictionary attacks, or "phish" attacks. With most major U.S. ISPs blocking outbound port 25, having access to a valid email account is important to spammers. And, given their mindset, they'd rather steal accounts than constantly pay for them, only to have them shut down for spamming.

I have received spam apparently sent via compromised email accounts, both through the official AT&T and Comcast customer message submission servers.