uniqs
share rss forum feed

vpoko
Premium
join:2003-07-03
Boston, MA

1 recommendation

I assume...

I assume this means the end of MotoBlur. About time.
openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
kudos:2

Re: I assume...

I wouldn't assume that. Blur still has a valid market.
talz13

join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH

said by openbox9:

Valid market? Besides being slow and making the phone harder to use?
openbox9
Premium
Germany

The vocal minority that complains about Blur longs for the day that they can buy a Blur-less handset from Motorola. That vast majority of consumers don't care, or don't even know what Blur is. Blur brings additional features not available in the AOSP. Now if the bugs can be worked out and it actually becomes stable, Blur might not be a bad differentiating customization. After all, in the end isn't it about having options and choice?
talz13

join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH

Choice is fine, but I'd rather have stock AOSP and get OS updates when they come out, instead of 6-8 months down the line, if ever.
openbox9
Premium
Germany

Ok, then get a Nexus-like device. My point is that a valid and viable markets exist for customizations on top of Android like Blur, Sense, TouchWiz, etc.

vpoko
Premium
join:2003-07-03
Boston, MA

I doubt Google is going to add a layer of customization on top of their own interface. If they like MotoBlur, they'll make it part of Android, and if they don't, I imagine they'd drop it. Otherwise the message they'd be sending is, "We don't like the basic Android interface, either."
openbox9
Premium
Germany

MMI will still be operated as a separate company. My guess is that it won't be "GoogleBlur", it'll be "MotoBlur". Google will still market its Android interface in its Nexus, or similar, products.
sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:1

said by openbox9:

MMI will still be operated as a separate company. My guess is that it won't be "GoogleBlur", it'll be "MotoBlur". Google will still market its Android interface in its Nexus, or similar, products.

Separate or not, Google isn't going to leave it in place. At the very least they'll unlock the bootloaders.
openbox9
Premium
Germany

I don't dispute that. This thread is about the legacy of Blur, not locked bootloaders.
iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
Ugh, ToughWiz. The only manufacturer-provider launcher skins that I've loked when I've seen them so far are what Huawei did with the original Ascend (crappy phone otherwise) and what LG has done with most of its Optimus One models. They don't change much, the device still runs as fast as it would have with the AOSP launcher, and everyone's happy. Blur...not so much.
openbox9
Premium
Germany

I agree. My DX is Blur-less, and I'm happy for it. My wife's DX is stock. She doesn't know any different. My point is that a large population doesn't know any different and are satisfied with the products that they've purchased and the added functionality of the UIs that they've chosen.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
said by openbox9:

Blur is dead. Even before the purchase motorola killed blur and replaced it with something else.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
said by vpoko:

A new line of nexus phones from Motorola with unencrypted bootladers.

The only downside is no wp7 from motorola.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

PapaMidnight

join:2009-01-13
Baltimore, MD
said by vpoko:

If it does, "DAMN THE TORPEDOES, FULL SPEED AHEAD!"