This is a sub-selection from Wonderful news

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to Badonkadonk

Re: Wonderful news

said by Badonkadonk:

This likely means that eventually Google will take the patents, keep the $4B in cash and spin off the handset manufacturing to someone like HTC and sell off the set top box business. When it's all said and done, Google will have gotten the industries strongest tcom patent portfolio for not much more than it would have spent for the Nortel stuff.

I can't imagine Google wants to become a manufacturer. I also can't imagine that Motorola handsets will sell better if they are owned by Google. Motorola can't seem to make a handset that sells to save their life. I don't think the new owners will change will change that fact, even if they wanted.

The settop box acquisition is significant. It's the perfect opportunity to push the Google TV platform.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany

If Google can get the content owners on board

skuv

@rr.com

said by openbox9:

If Google can get the content owners on board

Google doesn't have to get the content owners on board if they integrate GoogleTV into Motorola settops. They already have very large settop customers that have content owners on board.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to fifty nine

They don't want to be in manufacturing. I guarantee that they'll spin of all the manufacturing part of the business. Of course, Google will put into place licensing and supply deals to push their wares. But, they won't go into manufacturing. It's not high margin enough.

I was here at Mot when the GI acquisition was made. It's not an easy or high margin business. Of course, neither is the handset one. Why do you think Qualcomm dumped their handset business. They've been better off for it. I doubt Google has the desire to be in manufacturing.

This is all really about the IP.

aelfwyne

join:2004-01-28
Houston, TX
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
reply to fifty nine

said by fifty nine:

The settop box acquisition is significant. It's the perfect opportunity to push the Google TV platform.

There is no settop box acquisition. That's the OTHER Motorola. This is Motorola Mobility, which is the wireless business only. Motorola forked into two companies a few years back.
--
If it ain't broke..... You didn't overclock it enough.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

said by aelfwyne:

said by fifty nine:

There is no settop box acquisition. That's the OTHER Motorola. This is Motorola Mobility, which is the wireless business only. Motorola forked into two companies a few years back.

Wrong. Mobility encompasses set top and handset. Solutions is the rest of it. Basically the old commercial and government sectors.

Take my word for it. I have first-hand knowledge.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to aelfwyne

said by aelfwyne:

said by fifty nine:

Dead wrong.

Motorola mobility handles the CPE end of the market.

Basically Mobility became the consumer products division and Motorola solutions was business/Govt.

openbox9
Premium
Germany
reply to skuv

We'll see about that. The content owners are resisting distribution outside of normal channels at every possible turn. They also view Google as enemy number one. Doesn't seem like a good combination for what Google likely wants to achieve with set tops. Besides, the cable companies aren't going to be fond of Google advertisements in lieu of their own.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
reply to Badonkadonk

said by Badonkadonk:

They don't want to be in manufacturing. I guarantee that they'll spin of all the manufacturing part of the business. Of course, Google will put into place licensing and supply deals to push their wares. But, they won't go into manufacturing. It's not high margin enough.

I was here at Mot when the GI acquisition was made. It's not an easy or high margin business. Of course, neither is the handset one. Why do you think Qualcomm dumped their handset business. They've been better off for it. I doubt Google has the desire to be in manufacturing.

I think it's about the IP too. I also doubt Google wants to get into manufacturing.

They could do this two ways - outsource the manufacturing or spin off the manufacturing division. You're right the latter does seem more feasible than the former.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL

I agree. One of those two things is the most likely scenario for the manufacturing side. But, like you said in an earlier post, there's very little doubt that they'll somehow push Google TV into STBs.

jgkolt
Premium
join:2004-02-21
Avon, OH
reply to openbox9

is the set top box business even part of Motorola mobility?

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

You're kidding, right? Did you read the messages preceding yours?

Here: »www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-···eal.html

With Microsoft Mobility, Google gets one of the major manufacturers for Google's Android-brand smartphone systems, the Horsham home-media equipment business that makes cable set-top boxes; Internet Protocol Television and other broadband and digital video equipment; and more than 15,000 telecom device patents, aiding its battle against archrival Apple iPhone and Apple ally Microsoft, and boosting Google's clout in the exploding wireless communications market.

openbox9
Premium
Germany
reply to jgkolt

Yes. Seems a lot of people don't understand what Motorola did when it split itself in two.

MMI PR

said by MMI PR :

Motorola Mobility is comprised of two industry-leading global technology businesses. The Mobile Devices business is an innovative provider of smartphone devices designed to fit every lifestyle. In 2010, the Mobile Devices business launched 23 smartphones globally, including the highly successful family of DROID™ by Motorola devices as well as BRAVO™, DEFY™, FLIPSIDE™, MILESTONE™ and others. The Home business is one of the largest providers of digital set-top boxes and end-to-end video solutions. Motorola Mobility will leverage the capabilities of both the Mobile Devices and Home businesses to deliver innovative smartphones, tablets, set-tops and other converged devices – as well as content delivery and management, and interactive cloud-based services to consumers in the home and on the go.

flashcore

join:2007-01-23
united state
reply to skuv

This makes me wonder how there purchase of SageTV may integrate into this. They just got bought by Google a few months back and were primarily a PC Media Center App built using Java with some hardware boxes of there own. I suspect there may be more to this purchase then just the phone business and its patents, it could end up being very interesting.

sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:1
reply to Badonkadonk

said by Badonkadonk:

They don't want to be in manufacturing.

Which is why the US patent system is horribly broken. Billions upon billions in corporate capital wasted in hoarding patents to defend oneself. Software patents have caused so much waste in US business it's enough to make you depressed.

$12 billion is a huge amount of money. Google could build FTTH out to a significant fraction of US urban areas. Or buy some spectrum and build out DIDO wireless systems across America.

Watching them forced to waste money like this is just a blow to one's morale.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

said by sonicmerlin:

said by Badonkadonk:

They don't want to be in manufacturing.

Which is why the US patent system is horribly broken. Billions upon billions in corporate capital wasted in hoarding patents to defend oneself. Software patents have caused so much waste in US business it's enough to make you depressed.

$12 billion is a huge amount of money. Google could build FTTH out to a significant fraction of US urban areas. Or buy some spectrum and build out DIDO wireless systems across America.

Watching them forced to waste money like this is just a blow to one's morale.

$12B gets them over $3B in cash, disposable manufacturing assets probably worth over another $3B, etc. In the end, I bet Google doesn't pay much more than $4-5B for the patents. And, it's a much better portfolio than Nortel's.

On a personal level, I like the patent system. Yeah, parts of it need to be fixed, but it's been very good to me.

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL
reply to sonicmerlin

said by sonicmerlin:

Silliness. You make it sound like the "billions upon billions" were flushed into a black hole and disappeared. Economics is all about moving money around, and wherever it ended up it was used for something.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to openbox9

said by openbox9:

Yes. Seems a lot of people don't understand what Motorola did when it split itself in two.

MMI PR

said by MMI PR :

Motorola Mobility is comprised of two industry-leading global technology businesses. The Mobile Devices business is an innovative provider of smartphone devices designed to fit every lifestyle. In 2010, the Mobile Devices business launched 23 smartphones globally, including the highly successful family of DROID™ by Motorola devices as well as BRAVO™, DEFY™, FLIPSIDE™, MILESTONE™ and others. The Home business is one of the largest providers of digital set-top boxes and end-to-end video solutions. Motorola Mobility will leverage the capabilities of both the Mobile Devices and Home businesses to deliver innovative smartphones, tablets, set-tops and other converged devices – as well as content delivery and management, and interactive cloud-based services to consumers in the home and on the go.

Google TV just stepped up in google to do list.

I've used google TV and it's pretty boss, but it needs to be integrated into the cable/sat box at an affordable manner. This is a good move from google. Not only are they going to be able to make profitable smart phones, they're going to be getting into the TV business.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

openbox9
Premium
Germany

We'll see. Google was already working to redeem its TV failure. I'm sure Google will take advantage of including its advertising, I just don't think it will be that well received by the cable companies. I do agree with your assertion that Google's platform needs to be integrated to remotely have a chance at relevancy.

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

join:2001-09-07
Sudbury, MA
reply to aelfwyne

The company names are misleading, but you should read a bit on this.
»finance.yahoo.com/q/pr?s=MMI+Profile
»finance.yahoo.com/q/pr?s=MSI+Profile

(I've been wrong, and will be wrong again, it's no big deal. It does make for an interesting business situation. Google will own a cell company and set top box company. Within Motorola, the business groups are pretty separate, these divisions can be split just as easily as they were combined.)

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

They really never were combined. GI was always handled separately from the cell group. I don't even know what may be common among them except for common upper management. GI is and always has been in Horsham and the cellular group has been in Libertyville for many years. I worked for both. Patent law for GI and licensing for cellular.

GI never liked being part of Motorola and I don't doubt that they wouldn't mind being spun back out again.

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

join:2001-09-07
Sudbury, MA

said by Badonkadonk:

They really never were combined. GI was always handled separately from the cell group.

Agreed. Combined into one company, that's all. Google can easily sell it back off if they wish.