Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

OddThing

@virginmedia.com

[Serious] odd trace route findings

Hi,

I use virgin as an ISP.
If I do a trace route to any external site, the 2nd hop is always a .10 private IP. Subsequent hops are via virgin media routers and look fine.
My router is 192.168.xxx
Why would this be the case?

wonko3fc
Verbum sat sapienti

join:2001-06-02
UK

What is the delay to this .10 IP and can you post the trace route results here please? (obviously blank out your routers Public IP - we don't want to go public with that!)

OddThing

@virginmedia.com

Hi,

It's as follows;

1 1 ms 2 ms 1 ms 192.168.101.1
2 10 ms 9 ms 9 ms 10.140.x.x
3 8 ms 10 ms 12 ms yyy.network.virginmedia.net
etc
etc

Thanks for replying.

wonko3fc
Verbum sat sapienti

join:2001-06-02
UK

1 recommendation

Interesting and not as I thought it might be but I'll take a stab anyhow.

192.168.101.1 is the LAN side of your router and that which you interface through.

10.140.x.x is the WAN side of your router which is interfacing the Virgin network.

For whatever reason, Virgin have, in your area/subscription plan, allocated a private IP address in the 10 range. What concerns me here is the delay of some 10ms through your router - which seems a little high to me - however, there was some 'news' earlier this year that WiFi enabled routers degenerate 'speed' (or in this case latency) through to the web.

IF you require a public IP address, it may be you can purchase one off Virgin but you may well need to change your service plan and inevitably, subscription fees.

The yyy.network.virginmedia.net address is almost certainly a DHCP sever which is acting as the public address and therefore saving Virgin the allocation of public IP's to all of its subscribers. Cheapskates eh?

There has also been 'news' historically about the demise of available IP addresses and moves to IPv6 (I think) which is longer and has the ability, by default, to allot more unique IP addresses.

OddThing

@virginmedia.com

Hi

I think you are correct about the .10. IP being the from the WAN side of my router. I just hadn't seen this before.
I asked a friend who is also with Virgin to run a trace rout and the 2nd hop on his route was also a .10 IP.
Virgin cheapskates never
Thanks for your insight