Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member
join:2002-02-18

1 edit

Ctrl Alt Del

Premium Member

From the same CEO who said...

said by »www.bgr.com/2011/08/09/m ··· eo-says/ :

Motorola Mobility CEO Sanjay Jha on Tuesday said that his company is open to building smartphones powered by Microsoft’s Windows Phone operating system. The Motorola boss said that while the company is focused on Google’s Android platform right now, it would absolutely consider the new Microsoft mobile OS under the right conditions. “I think we’re completely open to the notion of Windows as a platform,” Jha said during the Oppenheimer Technology & Communications Conference. “Clearly, all of our focus today is on Android.” Jha said that in order for Windows Phone to work for Motorola, the company would likely need to secure a deal similar to the one between Microsoft and Nokia, which allows the Finnish phone maker to customize and alter the OS in ways other OEMs cannot.

1) Looks like no Windows Phone from Motorola anymore.
2) Motorola will probably get 'preferred' treatment with Android (like Microsoft and Nokia).
said by »www.unwiredview.com/2011 ··· -makers/ :

During its Q2 earnings conference call Motorola hinted that it is ready to join Android patent racket, and start demanding licensing fees for its IP from other Android manufacturers. This week Motorola’s CEO Sanjay Jha reiterated this message, and made it even more clear – they do indeed have plans to start collecting IP royalties from other Android makers.

Android users that are happy about this merger, please re-read that article. Motorola was open about attacking their own Android competitors using the same tactics that Apple and Microsoft are using.

"Open" has been reduced to a marketing term.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi

Premium Member

Re: From the same CEO who said...

So you're saying that Jha's statement about future Windows Phone is not believable, but his statement about attacking other Android developers is? How do you decide which statements to support and which to not? You really think Google would allow Moto to "go after" HTC or Samsung?

This is a purchase of Moto's patent portfolio, clear and simple. Google is buying some heavy artillery and nuclear bombs for the war that Apple and Microsoft started.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member

Ctrl Alt Del

Premium Member

said by fuziwuzi:

So you're saying that Jha's statement about future Windows Phone is not believable, but his statement about attacking other Android developers is? How do you decide which statements to support and which to not?

Motorola won't make a Windows Phone now because they were bought by Google. They also will most likely not sue any fellow Android OEM either. My point was, Google just bought a company that less than a month ago was entertaining the idea suing other Android OEMs. Google has been complaining how Microsoft and Apple are being anti-competitive because they're suing Google, when one of their own OEMs was contemplating doing the same damn thing. Pot, meet kettle.
said by fuziwuzi:

This is a purchase of Moto's patent portfolio, clear and simple. Google is buying some heavy artillery and nuclear bombs for the war that Apple and Microsoft started.

Of course it is, Google said so themselves:
said by »googleblog.blogspot.com/ ··· ire.html :

Our acquisition of Motorola will increase competition by strengthening Google’s patent portfolio, which will enable us to better protect Android from anti-competitive threats from Microsoft, Apple and other companies.

I'm just pointing out the hypocrisies.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi

Premium Member

said by Ctrl Alt Del:

My point was, Google just bought a company that less than a month ago was entertaining the idea suing other Android OEMs. Google has been complaining how Microsoft and Apple are being anti-competitive because they're suing Google, when one of their own OEMs was contemplating doing the same damn thing. Pot, meet kettle...I'm just pointing out the hypocrisies.

So blaming Google for something Moto was contemplating BEFORE Google attempted to purchase Moto? Was Google supposed to leap out from behind the stage when Jha made his statements to say, "NO YOU WON'T!"? Or, perhaps, Google's response was to buy Moto, thus killing several birds with one stone. See, I can be just as subjective as you.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member

Ctrl Alt Del

Premium Member

said by fuziwuzi:

So blaming Google for something Moto was contemplating BEFORE Google attempted to purchase Moto?

Google threw a hissy fit saying that patents are anti-competitive and evil and being used to destroy Android. Then Google bought a company that was going to do just that. Google can complain about Microsoft and Apple being big mean bullies, but to then turn around and buy one of their own big mean bullies is hypocritical (but smart).
said by fuziwuzi:

Was Google supposed to leap out from behind the stage when Jha made his statements to say, "NO YOU WON'T!"? Or, perhaps, Google's response was to buy Moto, thus killing several birds with one stone.

I believe that is exactly the case. Motorola was like "You better buy us Google, or we're going to blow shit up, including other Android OEMs."

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
Palm Springs, CA

fuziwuzi

Premium Member

Then I don't see how, even from your own statements, you can claim hypocrisy from Google since they are effectively eliminating the threat from Motorola.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member

Ctrl Alt Del

Premium Member

said by fuziwuzi:

Then I don't see how, even from your own statements, you can claim hypocrisy from Google since they are effectively eliminating the threat from Motorola.

By buying a company that was about to do what Google was complaining about a week earlier.

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium Member
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH

Vchat20 to Ctrl Alt Del

Premium Member

to Ctrl Alt Del
When you put it that way, it is unfortunately a case of playing their own game against them or see Android eventually die off after they get sued into oblivion. You can't tell me google is in the wrong here for simply trying to defend themselves from BS lawsuits brought from such broad patents that are beyond broken.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member

Ctrl Alt Del

Premium Member

said by Vchat20:

When you put it that way, it is unfortunately a case of playing their own game against them or see Android eventually die off after they get sued into oblivion. You can't tell me google is in the wrong here for simply trying to defend themselves from BS lawsuits brought from such broad patents that are beyond broken.

Oh, Google's move wasn't wrong. It was a hypocritical but smart move. Now every smart phone OS maker has a collection of cell phone patents. Microsoft+Nokia, Apple, Google+Motorola, Samsung, HTC, etc. Now all of them have patent nukes.