Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

redxii
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-26
Sherwood, MI

Probably moving to Michigan

Around the Battle Creek area. I'm researching tax rates/cost of living and came across the "Use Tax".

My car is paid off, the car was my mother's and the title was transferred from her to me.

said by [»www.michigan.gov/taxes/0,1607,7-···,00.html :

There is an exemption allowed for the purchase or transfer of these enumerated items between spouse, mother, father, brother, sister, child, stepparent, stepchild, stepbrother, stepsister, grandparent, grandchild, legal ward or a legally appointed guardian with a certified letter of guardianship. Other specific, less common exemptions are also allowed.

What'll I have to provide to prove that?

Apparently Texas has a Use Tax but am unsure if it was paid, or they just don't enforce it very well. For a really long time we didn't even register the car in Texas and still had out of state plates..

Don't suppose I gotta pay a use tax on my electronics & furniture.
--
Moe, I need your advice… See I've got this friend named Joey Joe-Joe... Junior... Shabadoo..

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

I wouldnt worry about it. Youll be able to get a lot of house for a little money

Just know in MI, summer taxes are EXTREMELY higher than winter taxes.

redxii
Premium,Mod
Sherwood, MI

That's a new one to me. Is there a Sunshine Tax and Moonlight Tax in the works? We'll be renting a 3B house by a lake, only $400 or so.

misnmonday

join:2001-07-09
Grove City, OH

It’s call summer and winter tax because that is when the bill is sent out. The summer tax bill is the city bill and the winter tax bill is the county, naturally the city bill is a lot higher, but as a renter you are impacted indirectly.

real_goose

join:2001-04-13
Apollo Beach, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·localphone.com
reply to redxii

When I transfered a car from my dad to me there was no issue. We have the same last name so if your mom has the same last name it should be easy. So I suggest you get a Michigan Drivers License first and then transfer the title to you.

You will need to pay use tax on out of state purchases when you do your state income taxes just like you're supposed to in any other state with an income tax.

redxii
Premium,Mod
Sherwood, MI

1 edit

I've had the title already for years and years now..

The SOS says it wouldn't apply to me.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to redxii

Not relevant. The reason for it is what we call "snowbirds" people that live in MI for the summer months, but then go to a warmer climate for the winter months. If their home here is or isnt homestead, and the leave for the winter. they end up paying just the summer taxes. Yay!

Expand your moderator at work

redxii
Premium,Mod
Sherwood, MI
reply to baineschile

Re: Probably moving to Michigan

I'll be heading up next weekend or early the week after that.

Texas has no income tax but you pay dearly in other ways.. esp if you decide to own a house.
--
Moe, I need your advice… See I've got this friend named Joey Joe-Joe... Junior... Shabadoo..

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

said by redxii:

I'll be heading up next weekend or early the week after that.

Texas has no income tax but you pay dearly in other ways.. esp if you decide to own a house.

You have to explain, I always wondered about that...

Where about in Michigan are you? You west or east side?

Well, anyway, if you get the change, be sure to head to Ontario, it's close to Michigan no matter where you are...
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein