Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gate1975mlm
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:8

RUMOR: Sportsradio 610 WIP to take over 94 WYSP!

It looks like 97.5 The Fanatic will need to drop their “Philly’s only FM sports station” tag line. According to philly.com’s Dan Gross, the area’s sports talk radio king 610 WIP is planning on taking over operations from legendary local rock station 94 WYSP. Both are owned by CBS Radio.

WIP’s program director Andy Bloom would neither confirm nor deny the rumor to Gross. Neither would CBS Radio market manager Marc Rayfield.

The rumored change date is Labor Day.

If true, this is huge, and not necessarily in a good way. WYSP is a Philly staple, and with the garbage that is today’s music losing a station that plays rock music would be a travesty.

Of course, the horrible music scene itself could be what’s actually prompting the switch. Per Gross, CBS Radio recently changed two underperforming music stations – WJZ FM in Baltimore and WBZ in Boston – to sports talk. When AM station 950 ESPN switched to 97.5 The Fanatic on FM in 2009, total listeners went way up, with recent reports saying Mike Missanelli’s drive-time show on 97.5 has taken over Howard Eskin’s same slot on WIP as the most listened to in sports radio. Of course Howard is an abrasive and ignorant jackass so that could be contributing to the lower ratings as well.

Gross also notes that WYSP’s biggest personality in both name and salary, Danny Bonaduce, had his contract renewed for only one year, possibly indicating some future uncertainty.
»phillysportscentral.com/tag/610-···p-rumors

More info here »boards.radio-info.com/smf/index.···195250.0

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
kudos:1
All I can say is thank goodness I have SiriusXM for my music fix whilst I drive.

The local Philly stations are getting worse.
--
Charlie Rangel/Bawney Fwank 2012 Dem Ticket

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium
join:2001-02-14
Annapolis, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to gate1975mlm
W...Y...S...P
Phil...a...delphia
best radio station in the 80's. MetalShop!
WMMR was a decent second though I hated their Morning Zoo show.

Moved out of the area and came back a couple years later and WYSP was...lame? Top 40? Something disturbing...

Came back several years later and Classic Rock was back. Yay!

Now this?
Jeez. Poor Philly.
KM
--
Don't Lie - Be Kind - Realize your Potential

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Lone Wolf
said by Lone Wolf:

The local Philly stations are getting worse.

That's an understatement. That pretty much leaves one station per genre, except for now 2 sports stations and a bunch of hip-hop rap-crap.

gate1975mlm
Premium
Philadelphia, PA
reply to KoolMoe
September.6,2011 is when the change will happen!

94WIP FM

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
Came across this article that calls the switch to sports a "boneheaded move". lol

»www.examiner.com/in-pictures-in-···tens-now
quote:
94.1 FM WYSP, a beautiful music station. It was complete with radio personailities and music aimed for someones grand parents. The station's debut in Philadelphia on August 21 1971 featured that format. It was done on reel to reel tapes broadcast from the Suburban Station building in Philadelphia and was was short lived. August 6 1973 saw album Oriented Rock come to the mainstream. Glen Miller was gone and Chigaco and Hendrix were being broadcast. Friday September, 2 2011 at 3:00 PM WYSP will be dead. It's what many in the radio industry are calling the biggest boneheaded move to ever be thought of , let alone implemented.
--
Charlie Rangel/Bawney Fwank 2012 Dem Ticket

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
Honestly, I think it will be. They won't gain any new listeners with this. If people are already listening to WIP, it's not because they don't know about it or can't get it. The fact that 950 had crappy reception is a big part of their success on FM. WIP will not see the same success.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
reply to gate1975mlm
I'm listening to the final hours of WYSP right now. In 1:15, it's all over.

gate1975mlm
Premium
Philadelphia, PA

4 edits
Sports Radio 94WIP has launched!!

Just went live at 3PM 9-2-11

So much for launching on September 6th lol

Stix

join:2010-01-08
Philadelphia, PA
reply to gate1975mlm
BOOOOOOOOO

I grew up on YSP. I have nothing against WIP and in fact listen to it a lot, i just didn't need it on FM.

I had zero issues with it being on AM. Did somebody really think that more people will now tune in because it's FM? They won't.