jefflewis
join:2002-06-13
Evans, GA

jefflewis to saratoga66

to saratoga66

Re: Spectrum Quad Tuner DVR revealed

said by saratoga66:

said by jefflewis:

It's probably because they had bandwidth issues with 4 tuners at once. I assume the infrastructure is not ready for 4 tuners (just a guess).

Bandwidth would not be an issue. Comcast is not using SDV or IP TV. All channels are being sent 24/7.

The supervisor that came out with the installer did say that the Spectrum box is IP based. He said this is completely different from the older DVR boxes that aren't IP based. I would assume this is why a filter of some type is required for install AND HSI is required. The guide loads instantly when you boot the box up from a power reset. There are no "Guide TBA" warnings.

rv65
Premium Member
join:2008-08-02
USA!!!!

rv65

Premium Member

Spectrum has QAM tuners, but he might have mentioned it uses DOCSIS and MoCA for data. Spectrum has a CableCARD slot.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA

cypherstream to jefflewis

MVM

to jefflewis
Most likely a MoCA filter was installed at the service entrance / demarc to not degrade neighbors signals if / when they get this equipment, AnyRoom DVR, or even install their own MoCA bridges.
Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Zoder

I had called Comcast about a VOD problem, and at the end of the call asked the rep if he had any news on Spectrum. He claimed it would be available in South Florida on September 15th. I hope it's true, only have to wait 2 weeks to find out.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

it'd be nice if it were available here soon.
Russ6
join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX

Russ6

Comcast Slots SeaChange Into Video Gateways

Light Reading Cable
September 7, 2011 | Jeff Baumgartner |
quote:
Update: Comcast issued this statement via email to confirm that SeaChange is indeed involved, but clarified that other software partners are involved in the next-gen box:

Comcast’s next generation Xfinity TV service uses a set top box based on the tru2way reference implementation. This set top includes software from multiple partners, including Seachange who provides select software components that enable elements such as multiple tuners, tru2way, and MoCA.
For the complete article, click the following link:

»www.lightreading.com/doc ··· ng_gnews
The Q
join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

The Q to Zoder

to Zoder
said by Zoder:

I had called Comcast about a VOD problem, and at the end of the call asked the rep if he had any news on Spectrum. He claimed it would be available in South Florida on September 15th. I hope it's true, only have to wait 2 weeks to find out.

I don't think that what you were told is entirely accurate (not surprised). I have read where some comcast customers in selected parts of Florida do have a new guide but it's not the spectrum guide you referenced.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

How many guides are there now?
I-guide A series and S series
Spectrum
Buckeye???? (or is that the same as spectrum)?

What ever happened to "J-Guide 3.0" showed at CES in 2007, and various cable trade shows since then? Is it still it's own product, or did that evolve into "spectrum"?
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

I think there is also I-guide HD / I-Guide 16:9 for tru2way users.
Russ6
Houston, TX

1 edit

Russ6

A few Comcast areas are still using the SARA guide, but are scheduled to have that guide replaced with the S25 guide later this month.

The tru2way guide is also known as the OnScreen Guide 2.0 and it is being tested on the Cisco RNG 200N Any Room DVR. This guide is scheduled to be released this Fall.

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

as long as my are gets it by february when my promotion is up.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to Russ6

MVM

to Russ6
said by Russ6:

The tru2way guide is also known as the OnScreen Guide 2.0 and it is being tested on the Cisco RNG 200N Any Room DVR. This guide is scheduled to be released this Fall.

Which is this the same look and feel as Xcaliber / Spectrum... Or is this a variant that was originally shown at 2008 CES (J-Guide).
Russ6
Houston, TX

1 edit

Russ6

I don't know what this guide is based on and how it relates to the other guides that you mention.

The following is a link to Comcast's Ted Hodgins "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog post about the On-Screen Guide 2.0:

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· nt-40180

The following is a link to more information about this guide:

Schedule for Phase 4 - Tru2way Guide (On Screen Guide 2.0)

»Re: Official Comcast blog about new SA guide

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

I guess I'm curious if it looks like this:

Or this:

Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

Comcast's Ted Hodgins posted about the On-Screen Guide 2.0 for the newer RNG series set top boxes and the On-Screen Guide 3.0 for Spectrum in his "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog:

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05 ··· nt-40649

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

Is this just for Cisco rng boxes or Motorola rng boxes as well? I would like to have on screen 2.0 here but it seems like it may be august of 2012. I hope it isn't though.
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

It currently is being deployed in selected areas in Florida on Cisco RNG 200-N set top boxes (AnyRoom DVR for the Cisco/SA markets) and should be deployed to more Cisco customers soon, but it will also be used on Motorola RNG boxes in the future. I haven't seen any time frame for it to be deployed on Motorola RNG boxes.

cypherstream
MVM
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

So I take it the top pic I posted is Guide 2.0 and the bottom pic is Guide 3.0?

OR is Guide 2.0 the same boring thing that you guys have now... just with web based DVR and a few apps?

I have an HD Guide now with my current provider in their beta program and it's pretty nice. Not earth shattering, but very clean, crisp and sharp graphics.
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

said by cypherstream:

So I take it the top pic I posted is Guide 2.0 and the bottom pic is Guide 3.0?

OR is Guide 2.0 the same boring thing that you guys have now... just with web based DVR and a few apps?

I have an HD Guide now with my current provider in their beta program and it's pretty nice. Not earth shattering, but very clean, crisp and sharp graphics.

I don't think the top pic is Guide 2.0 since it says J Guide 3.0 but I really don't know. It is possible that Comcast has changed the version numbers. Guide 2.0 is the tru2way version with a 16:9 display and other features.

The S25 Guide Phase 2 will add interactive features and allow the ability to use your iPad to change channels.

The S25 Guide Phase 3 will add the XFinity TV Application and
includes myDVR Manager.

The S25 Guide Phase 4 is the On-Screen Guide 2.0.

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

will motorola see the new guide by easter or after?
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

said by mikedz4:

I don't know. Comcast is only starting to deploy the On-Screen Guide 2.0 (Phase 4) on the Cisco RNG 200-N AnyRoom DVRs now. In SA/Cisco markets, On-Screen Guide 2.0 will only initially be available for RNG 200-N boxes (AnyRoom DVR) and then to other RNG devices. It will not work with SA 8300 HD DVRs.

Comcast will deploy Phase 2 during the rest of the year and start deploying Phase 3 next year.

Jimcantore
@rcn.com

Jimcantore to mikedz4

Anon

to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

Around the same time u will see your local weather channel forecast in HD
Russ6
Houston, TX

Russ6

Comcast to Swing Xcalibur Wide in 2012

October 6, 2011 | Jeff Baumgartner
Light Reading Cable

NEW YORK -- CTAM -- Comcast Corp. (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK)'s next-generation, Web-capable video platform, Xcalibur, is still contained to one small test market, but the MSO intends to deploy it widely sometime next year.

The test of Xcalibur is limited to about 1,000 homes in Augusta, Ga., but the plan is to "blow that out" in 2012, said Sam Schwartz, president of Comcast converged products and a founding partner for Comcast Interactive Capital , who spoke here Thursday on a panel about the connected TV market. "Next year is when we take it across the country."

Note: For the complete article, click the following link:

»www.lightreading.com/doc ··· ng_gnews

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

can't wait for the new windows 7/8 guide so I can kiss this windows 95 guide goodbye.

I am comparing the new guide 2.0/3.0 to windows 7/8
The I-guide is like windows 95.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to Russ6

MVM

to Russ6
Comcast gears for nationwide rollout of next generation Xfinity TV set-top (code name Xcalibur):
»www.fiercecable.com/stor ··· 11-10-07

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

cable guy told me quarter 3 2012 for my area.

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA

owlyn

MVM

Experience tells me not to hold by breath and believe it when I see it. Just as with the Panasonic DVRs we were supposed to get.