how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

siriusq

@scansafe.net

Why does my car's Sirius radio ALWAYS become choppy here:

»maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=39···&vpsrc=6

On the ramp, from Southbound I-25 to I-225... Nothing overhead to block the signal...

My guess is some sort of negative interference caused by the signal reflecting off the 8-9 lanes wide highway below? The ramp puts my car's antenna i'm guessing 25-30 feet above the concrete surface below...

Am I correct in assuming this is the reason that the radio cuts out at this exact spot EVERY time I drive here?

siriusq

@scansafe.net
And I am asking purely out of curiosity. It doesn't bother me, only lasts a second.

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to siriusq
Is it choppy or does it cut out for a second or two, plays fine, then a bit later does it one more time?

If that is the case then that is what happens sometimes when you come to a nearby repeater. It switches to the repeater and sometimes cuts out for a second or two. Same thing sometimes happens when going from a repeater back to the satellite.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to siriusq
Does it happen at the same time of day as well? I had a similar problem with my Sirius when I had it. Only 12 pm and 10 pm. Only if I was north west.

And yes, it was always at the exact same spot.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

siriusq

@scansafe.net
It cuts out for a second or two, then plays fine, no problems after the one time "glitch".

The repeater idea is interesting, but I wonder if that is the reason because, it happens only at the exact spot, and only when I'm going south (going north, there is no bridge). And it hapens any time of day, doesn't matter.

Again, I am not looking to fix this, the question is 100% out of curiostiy.. thanks for your replies

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
With Sirius there were a spot it would drop out no matter what. Never could figure it out. Sirius didn't have repeaters in town like XM does, so under bridges it was understandable. My guess is something is blocking you -- and likely you are (were) on a repeater then bumped over to satellite. There should be a website somewhere showing you were the repeaters are.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL
reply to siriusq
said by siriusq :

... it happens only at the exact spot, and only when I'm going south (going north, there is no bridge)...

So let me get this straight. I happens when you go under a bridge but when you are not under a bridge it's OK?

siriusq

@scansafe.net
said by JimThePCGuy:

said by siriusq :

... it happens only at the exact spot, and only when I'm going south (going north, there is no bridge)...

So let me get this straight. I happens when you go under a bridge but when you are not under a bridge it's OK?

I admit that was worded poorly.

It ONLY happens when I am on the "ramp" (bridge) that connects southbound I25 to Northbound I225 - I am on a "bridge" over I25, there is *nothing* above my car.

Going the opposite way, SB I225 to NB I25, there are no bridges involved. So no matter what, I am not going under a bridge. The radio only cuts out when I am at the exact spot on the bridge OVER I25. Thats why I thought it could be some sort of interference from the signal bouncing off the concrete ~30-35 feet below.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
it may not be interference, but for satelite radio to work, your antenna must have a lock on a certain amount of transponders in the sky. Probaly whats happening is your elevation or altitude or soemthing in that sweet spot, is such that you loose contact with one of the satelights and thus you loose your audio. I have the same problem with my garmin in some areas, and i looked at the screens when it was happening, and it gets all weird numbers for my altitude and stuff, so probaly one satelight beam is reaching me at a different speed than the other one, causing it to "confuse" the satelite.
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!