spc
Search similar:

uniqs

f1daily
join:2011-04-11
canada

f1daily

Watch US Netflix with your Canadian Account with VPN

With a US VPN you can watch US Netflix content with your Canadian account. No idea if it's a bug, but it works! Anyone else giving it a try?

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by f1daily:

With a US VPN you can watch US Netflix content with your Canadian account. No idea if it's a bug, but it works! Anyone else giving it a try?

Works fine here for about two months or so. I logged in once and my PC and it asked me if I had a US address. I said "yes" expecting it to prompt me for a US address but it didn't.

I've been getting US Netflix ever since.

I set up a router with my US VPN credentials so everytime I fire up my PS3 it logs me directly into US netflix.

slowikc
join:2011-01-23
Milton, On

slowikc to f1daily

to f1daily
They must have done this on purpose. I noticed that the opposite also works (where I have a US account and it lets me watch the Canadian content if I don't go through a VPN) there was some discussion about this early in July here:

»Re: how can I pay for netflix US in Canada?

alienzzz
join:2011-02-17

alienzzz to f1daily

to f1daily
Oh wow. I guess I will be getting a VPN very soon then.

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster to f1daily

Premium Member

to f1daily
I think the big difference is that US-based accounts can access the Instant Queue feature, wheras the Canadian-based account can't. I may be wrong on this, though.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

No the big difference is Netflix Canada has D list content and Netflix US has 1000 times better content selection.
odis172
Premium Member
join:2010-01-18
Nepean, ON

odis172 to f1daily

Premium Member

to f1daily
What VPN would you guys recommend?

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

My personal preference is using unblock-us.com rather than a VPN. It's a simple DNS change and there's no loss in speed or change in routing. It's cheap as well, $4/month.
smerrikin
join:2011-03-30
Ottawa, ON

smerrikin

+1 for unblock-us. So easy to setup. Running it through the router so every computer and WD TV's have access to netflix us. Wife still wont let me cut the cable though
sedin26
join:2003-08-04
Victoria, BC
·Internet Lightsp..

sedin26 to f1daily

to f1daily
Yes, works well for me. I use Strongvpn. As mentioned, if you log in through the vpn it gives you access to the US site and then you can use the Canadain site if you disconnect from the VPN.
I also use VPN on my Iphone to watch the US content on the go...

corster
Premium Member
Oshawa, ON

corster to BACONATOR26

Premium Member

to BACONATOR26
said by BACONATOR26:

No the big difference is Netflix Canada has D list content and Netflix US has 1000 times better content selection.

Ok, i'll rephrase.

I think the big difference when using a US VPN or service like Unblock-us is that US-based accounts can access the Instant Queue feature, wheras the Canadian-based account can't.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to BACONATOR26

to BACONATOR26
"US has 1000 times better content selection."

Wow the Canadian version must really suck.

corster
Premium Member
Oshawa, ON

corster

Premium Member

said by battleop:

"US has 1000 times better content selection."

Wow the Canadian version must really suck.

The difference isn't as significant as some would lead you to believe, although the US service does have a slight edge. Still, it's nice to have the ability to use both thanks to VPNs, since occasionally, i'll come across something on the Canadian Netflix which isn't offered on the US one. :P
Kryose0
join:2011-01-31
Oshawa, ON

Kryose0 to f1daily

to f1daily
Does unblock-us work for the Wii, PS3, XBox, etc? Does it ask the "Do you have a US address" question?

alienzzz

alienzzz to corster

to corster
I wouldn't call it a "slight" advantage. About 50% of the movies and TV shows I try to watch are only available on the US version...

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to Kryose0

Premium Member

to Kryose0
said by Kryose0:

Does unblock-us work for the Wii, PS3, XBox, etc? Does it ask the "Do you have a US address" question?

Also wondering the same.

I used Netflix some on my PC, but I'm wondering if I could easily go back and forth to US and Canadian Netflix with the Wii using unblock-us or would the Wii detect something and say no?

alienzzz

alienzzz

Unblock-us works by replacing your DNS servers with their own, so it should work on any device in theory... You can try it for free for 7 days and find out.

corster
Premium Member
Oshawa, ON

corster

Premium Member

said by alienzzz:

Unblock-us works by replacing your DNS servers with their own, so it should work on any device in theory... You can try it for free for 7 days and find out.

I set their DNS servers on my router... works on my Wii, my Roku, my PC's... if I want the Canadian selection, I just override the DNS settings on whatever device i'm using.
Canada4
join:2011-02-24
Chatham, ON

Canada4

Unblock-us is great. We will see how long it lasts.
Canada4

Canada4 to alienzzz

to alienzzz
said by alienzzz:

Then how come when I use googles american dns (8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4) I dont get the sam effect?

corster
Premium Member
Oshawa, ON

corster

Premium Member

said by Canada4:

said by alienzzz:

Then how come when I use googles american dns (8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4) I dont get the sam effect?

Unblock US resolves the domains of sites such as Netflix and Hulu through their proxy server rather than directly to the site.
Dunlop
join:2011-07-13

Dunlop to corster

to corster
said by corster:

said by alienzzz:

I set their DNS servers on my router... works on my Wii, my Roku, my PC's... if I want the Canadian selection, I just override the DNS settings on whatever device i'm using.

I actually do the opposite and just set the DNS on my media extenders.

It works great on my PS3, but not at all on the 360 (I only see canadian content)
Kryose0
Oshawa, ON

Kryose0

said by Dunlop:

I actually do the opposite and just set the DNS on my media extenders.

It works great on my PS3, but not at all on the 360 (I only see canadian content)

That might be what I experienced. When I made the change on my Wii, I did not notice any new content, but I did notice that some content that should have been available was no longer available. Any way around this on the Wii?

I did a test by searching for Star Trek. Only the new movie came up and no series as I understand the series are available in US Netflix.

eweazel
join:2008-12-09
Etobicoke, ON

eweazel to smerrikin

to smerrikin
I went the unblock us route, then added the boxee box, and wife is thrilled that all ther shows are on there, as of tomorrow Cable tv will be cut. Now I need to teach her how to use the Navi app and she will be all set
Kryose0
Oshawa, ON

Kryose0

Are you using a new US account, or a Canadian account. I just found out from unblock-us that in order for me to view US content on the Wii is to start a new US account.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Kryose0:

Are you using a new US account, or a Canadian account. I just found out from unblock-us that in order for me to view US content on the Wii is to start a new US account.

On the benefits of the VPN I guess is that it allows you to view US content with your Canadian account, also It's not substantially more expensive than unblock-us at $10

corster
Premium Member
Oshawa, ON

corster

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

said by Kryose0:

On the benefits of the VPN I guess is that it allows you to view US content with your Canadian account, also It's not substantially more expensive than unblock-us at $10

I use UnblockUS and still see US content with my CDN account.
defiantxx
join:2006-09-06

defiantxx to eweazel

to eweazel
For those of you who went the unblock us route. Do they require your province/state and country in order to provide the DNS servers closest to you or are you still using the ones they provide as part of the free trial? i.e. Would it matter if you put like NY or MI / US (besides the obvious taxes not being charged).

Thanks!

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker to f1daily

Premium Member

to f1daily
I'm going to be quite honest here. If I had to jump through these hoops I would just pirate the movies.
nhs ice
join:2006-08-16
Toronto, ON

nhs ice to f1daily

to f1daily
I agreed with DataRiker, instead if all of those hassle, why don't you people use XBMC and use some of their wonderful plugins to watch movies for free. I am sure there are plugin just like netflix beside hulu and stuff.