spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jdmatl
join:2000-04-27
Deerfield Beach, FL

jdmatl

Vista SP1 won't "windows update" error 8024A000

Had to restore a Gateway laptop back to its Vista Home 64bit image. I can't get Windows update to work. I have tried all different options, running the MSI file from microsoft fix. Tried applying the standalone 64bit WinUpdate components, no luck.

Have re-imaged the unit two times, same error. Also, there is NO Av on the system and I have disabled UAC.

Also added the various *update.microsoft.com in to the trusted zones in IE. Didn't help.

Any suggestions?

MadZookeeper
It Really Is A Zoo Around Here.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-20

MadZookeeper

Premium Member

Re: Vista SP1 won't "windows update" error 8024A000

You might look here

»answers.microsoft.com/en ··· 39f01df7

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone

lilhurricane to jdmatl

Numquam oblita

to jdmatl
Let's get you to the proper forum...

Moved in from Software

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

jabarnut to jdmatl

Premium Member

to jdmatl
For what it's worth, I only just now got around to applying the August patches to my Vista Laptop a couple of hours ago. (Even thought my other machines were done back on the 9th when everyone else did them).

Anyway, not sure if you attempted the updates fairly recently or not, but I got a similar error the first time I tried this morning. (Not sure if it was the exact error though..sorry).
After waiting a while and trying again, it worked. So I was thinking it was something on Microsoft's end at the time.
You might just try again...and may be successful.

Otherwise, hopefully the link MadZookeeper gave you will work.
Good luck.
fox77
join:2001-02-12
Culver City, CA

fox77 to jdmatl

to jdmatl
I can not tell from what you state you have tried, but you might try installing the Windows Update Agent:

»support.microsoft.com/kb/949104

I was having the same issue on XP SP3 after a clean install. And that solved it for me.

This was my link, (for XP):
»support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

This first link is for Vista!

fox7
jdmatl
Deerfield Beach, FL

jdmatl

none of the above works. Tried everything in the microsoft fix note for 8024A000.

Can't install the standalone winupdate components, they fail.

I think the fix for this POS is Win7-64bit. Was trying to save this person some $$$, by using the "image restore discs". whats to stop Pista from doing this in the future?

Freddy
Premium Member
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA

Freddy

Premium Member

jdmatl,

Maybe the stand alone version will install in Safe Mode. Just a thought.

Freddy
jdmatl
Deerfield Beach, FL

jdmatl

Brilliant minds think alike... fail...:(

I think we have run the course on solutions. The problem is the Gateway Vista Image is corrupted somewhere or something in their restore/rebuild Vista scripts is killing WinUpdate. Not going to waste another $20 on another set of restore discs from

auggy
Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON

auggy

Mod

Can you attach the C:\Windows\windowsupdate.log to a post in this thread?

This log may have some more info on the error.

BeanBag
join:2001-12-06
Kent, WA

BeanBag to jdmatl

to jdmatl
said by jdmatl:

I think the fix for this POS is Win7-64bit. Was trying to save this person some $$$, by using the "image restore discs". whats to stop Pista from doing this in the future?

I know this doesnt help with the current problem, but switching to Windows 7 will save alot of heartache for you later. Vista eats so many resources up and is so slow, Windows 7 is just built much better. Just my 2 cents.