uniqs
retired17
Premium Member
join:2007-01-24
Anaheim, CA

retired17

Premium Member

getting u-verse on black-yellow pair

I am presently getting my telephone service which includes the telephone, DSL, and home alarm system on the red-green copper pair. Is it possible to get U-Verse TV only on just the black-yellow pair? I don't want to mess-up my home alarm system. Thanks.
Paralel
join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US

Paralel

If you have an old 4 color drop, it should be replaced when your UVerse install is done. The old 4 color wiring is not data grade.
retired17
Premium Member
Anaheim, CA

retired17

Premium Member

Our neighborhood was built in the late 70's so each house has a four wires phone line. My neighbor had U-Verse installed and all the installer did was add an outside adapter to convert two wires to coax. The rest of the runs into the house are coax.

So it should be possible to add the adapter to the other unused pair (black-yellow).
Paralel
Michigan, US

Paralel to retired17

to retired17
It is entirely possible to use the old 4 color wiring for UVerse, it's just not a good idea. Use it at your own peril.

ATT should replace the drop at no cost to you, if that's your concern.

ATT could run your UVerse over your second pair, but it isn't likely, given pair limitations in the cabinet. UVerse and POTS voice can coexist on the same wire pair without any difficulty. ATT won't allow you to keep your DSL on the Red/Green pair if you request UVerse.
retired17
Premium Member
Anaheim, CA

retired17

Premium Member

Thank you for your replies. All the phone lines in our neighborhood are underground so the drops would be difficult to replace. I did receive a notice that AT&T plans to replace the POTS with U-Verse so all my old concerns will go away, replaced by new ones.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to retired17

Premium Member

to retired17
The four color stuff is often not twisted. The twists resist interference. I'd look to get it replaced.
Austinloop
join:2001-08-19
Austin, TX

Austinloop to retired17

to retired17
As a retired special service installation and repair foreman, get rid of the 2 pair non twisted IW if at all possible. It causes lots of problems, in fact, it will cause cross talk between two separate phone numbers on the same IW.

If you can't replace it, at least do a home run for the RG of at least cat 3 or cat 5 cable.

That is my situation, I have the same type of IW in my house (built in the late 70's and it was put in before the walls were drywalled, so I am pretty much stuck with it, unless I want to spend a lot of time in the attic and that isn't fun in the spring, summer or early fall here in Texas.

I ran a home run as described above when I first got DSL and have been happy ever since.

On the subject of alarm systems, I checked with my alarm co and they say their system didn't play well with U-Verse voice service, so I kept my old land line POTS service. U-Verse internet and TV work beautifully on the same pair with the POTS all the way from the VRAD/SAC box to my house and then on the 25 foot home run to the RG.
Paralel
Michigan, US

Paralel to retired17

to retired17
The fact that it is underground isn't really an issue. My drop was underground and they replaced it.

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac to retired17

MVM

to retired17
said by retired17:

So it should be possible to add the adapter to the other unused pair (black-yellow).

The red-green/black-yellow cable will work just fine when only one pair is used if you put a signal on the other wire pair it will "bleed" into the other pair

The telephone, DSL, and home alarm system can all coexist on one wire pair with proper wiring and filter placement
dingo4
Premium Member
join:2009-02-08

dingo4 to retired17

Premium Member

to retired17
Are you talking about inside wire or the wire from the terminal to your premise? The wire from the term to your prem is the "drop" It does not necessarily need to be replaced if both pairs are used. AAMOF, it rarely does need replacement in the absence of a fault.
If you are talking about inside wires, they are not "drops". They are inside wires. R,G,Y,B is called "Quad" and often is not friendly to data, uverse, dsl, etc. I would replace quad if you are running a Line Share (POTS/DSL) on one pair before trying UVERSE on the other. Or, better yet, leave the Line Share on the quad and run a separate Cat 5 for the Uverse.