join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster to Canada4

Premium Member

to Canada4

Re: Watch US Netflix with your Canadian Account with VPN

said by Canada4:

said by alienzzz:

Unblock-us works by replacing your DNS servers with their own, so it should work on any device in theory... You can try it for free for 7 days and find out.

Then how come when I use googles american dns (8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4) I dont get the sam effect?

Unblock US resolves the domains of sites such as Netflix and Hulu through their proxy server rather than directly to the site.
the cerberus
join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

4 edits

the cerberus

said by corster:

said by Canada4:

said by alienzzz:

Unblock-us works by replacing your DNS servers with their own, so it should work on any device in theory... You can try it for free for 7 days and find out.

Then how come when I use googles american dns (8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4) I dont get the sam effect?

Unblock US resolves the domains of sites such as Netflix and Hulu through their proxy server rather than directly to the site.

well if thats how it works, than a VPN is potentially better than a bottlenecked proxy.
and the only speed tests that matter are the ones that go through those selected american sites.
though it has little benefit, you can tell ufc.com still resolves to the original server, and forwards to ufc.ca, and that unblock-us is selecting which sites go through their proxy.

with a vpn, you select that on every site, you will appear as the selected country's server.
sites like hidemyass, and strongvpn give multiple cities, and countries around the world.
with that said the unblock-us trial seems to work fine on ps3 canadian netflix account, brought up the HD US content right away.
i wonder how they control the trial with simply DNS, perhaps it has a static ip DNS per account.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

It's not bottlenecked. It may be some type of proxy but I've never had speed issues with it.
the cerberus
join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

the cerberus

I wonder how fast your internet is.
It is certainly bottlenecked, but not sufficiently enough to cause issue on netflix.
I need to test it a bit more, but I seem to be getting 4-5Mbps through it, and the full 15mbps through vpn on tsi cable.