Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12

Is anyone surprised?

said by Article :
Depending on your usage and plan, tiered pricing means that you are either paying for data you’re not using or that you are restricted to less data than you need.
With plans that jump from 200MB to 2GB and offer nothing in between, is anyone surprised at this statement? Especially when the overage increment on the 200MB plans wind up costing as much (or in some cases MORE) than the next available tier?

They simply took the existing per-minute model and have swapped the word minute for the word megabyte.

koolman2
Premium
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK

1 edit

1 recommendation

And, instead of charging per megabyte, they do the equivalent of charging for an additional block of minutes instead of each additional used. I'd be okay with getting charged 8¢ or 1¢ for each additional megabyte instead of $15 for 200 or $10 for 1024. Going over my plan by five megs charges $10; it's no wonder people are careful to not go close!

edit: 200, not 250; 8¢, not 5¢

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12
said by koolman2:

And, instead of charging per megabyte, they do the equivalent of charging for an additional block of minutes instead of each additional used. I'd be okay with getting charged 5¢ or 1¢ for each additional megabyte instead of $15 for 250 or $10 for 1024. Going over my plan by five megs charges $10; it's no wonder people are careful to not go close!

Very good point. It's like using 451 minutes of your 450 minute allotment, then being billed for an additional 450 minutes, when the 900 minute plan costs less.