spc
Search similar:

uniqs

lostDIYer
@rr.com

lostDIYer

Anon

receptacles not working

replaced 4 receptacles and wall switch before painting, all believed to be working fine before being replaced for cosmetic reasons

light switch works fine and one receptacle works, which seems to be on a separate circuit, based on getting shocked when working on it, and finding different circuit breaker for it

but three of the receptacles do not work now, have rechecked all connections and have replaced receptacles before

ideas?

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Does the circuit have power? Do you have any test equipment? Getting shocked is not the approved method to test electrical circuits!

lostDIYer
@rr.com

lostDIYer to lostDIYer

Anon

to lostDIYer
problem fixed, it was my switch installation, 1 hot wire mistakenly attached to ground, doh!
shezams
My Other Car Is A Zamboni
Premium Member
join:2001-08-14
Hyattsville, MD

shezams

Premium Member

A receptacle tester is cheap and worth having.
»www.amazon.com/gp/search ··· 13709463

lostDIYer
@rr.com

lostDIYer to robbin

Anon

to robbin
no testing equipment and the shock was a big surprise, doh!

possible I miss wired the switch, even though the light/ceiling fan it controls works fine?

whizkid3
MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

whizkid3 to lostDIYer

MVM

to lostDIYer
said by lostDIYer :

problem fixed, it was my switch installation, 1 hot wire mistakenly attached to ground, doh!

IF wiring the hot to ground didn't trip your circuit breaker, then your problem is far from fixed.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG

Premium Member

said by whizkid3:

said by lostDIYer :

IF wiring the hot to ground didn't trip your circuit breaker, then your problem is far from fixed.

Maybe it was the load side hot, not the hot coming from the breaker. Just a guess.

whizkid3
MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

whizkid3

MVM

said by TheMG:

Maybe it was the load side hot, not the hot coming from the breaker. Just a guess.

And when it didn't work, he didn't try to switch it?