All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Al_In_SLTX
@comcast.net

Al_In_SLTX to mark_h_in_NC

Anon

to mark_h_in_NC

Re: *WHO* is laying fiber in/around Charlotte, NC?

I had a similar question regarding my area. I'm seeing alot of fiber being laid by AT&T in my neighborhood in Sugar Land, TX, but Windstream is the landline service provider in my area, not AT&T Might AT&T be installing the fiber for Windstream? I'm saying it is being run in by AT&T only because AT&T is listed on the fiber posts that are coming out of the ground (photo attached. Does anyone have a clue regarding my confusion here? Thanks!

Al

TeleServPro
Premium Member
join:2009-08-24

TeleServPro

Premium Member

Fiber and Copper are two completely separate modes of transmission. Although they do interface all the time, they can also be completely independent. If you're in Windstream copper territory, it's totally possible that AT&T has purchased right-of-way to install their own Fiber for future AT&T services, not Windstream services.

Being in a Windstream landline area just means they own the last mile copper facilities. Other carriers can still build-out their own Fiber networks within that territory. However if those carriers want it to interface with Windstream copper to a customer premise, they would pay a lease for that right.

If you're in a residential area and AT&T is laying Fiber, chances are it's for U-verse or FTTP/FTTN. OR it's just crisscrossing the neighborhood to reach a large commercial building.