All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Arbitor
join:2008-02-01
Vancouver

Arbitor

[BC] PortForwading Issues, help please!!

Hey guys,

I recently upgraded to Turbo 25 and I'm having trouble port forwarding and I think it has to do with my new modem/router. Previously I had the "Thomson Speedtouch" and the ports were open just fine.

The Telus techie gave me this "Actiontec V1000H" modem/router and I have disabled the wireless on it since I'm already using a Dlink router.

I'm using a static IP and I'm pretty sure I have forwarded the ports correctly, yet im getting nowhere with this. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Arbitor

Arbitor

no one?
Basically, what I want to do is use the Actiontec just as a modem and the Dlink as the router. Is that possible?
I have disabled the wireless on the V1000H, but for some reason ports aren't being forwarded on my DLink.

Also, I don't have optik TV, just the internet if that matters at all.
bimmerdriver
join:2010-12-10
Coquitlam, BC

bimmerdriver to Arbitor

to Arbitor
If you want to use your own router with the actiontec, you will have to put your own router in the dmz of the actiontec, otherwise there will be two levels of NAT and you will have to configure port forwarding in both routers. I don't recommend static ip addresses. Does your router support address reservations? If so, you should use it.
titan_rw
join:2007-08-23

titan_rw to Arbitor

to Arbitor
said by Arbitor:

no one?
Basically, what I want to do is use the Actiontec just as a modem and the Dlink as the router. Is that possible?

You need to enable transparent bridging on the actiontec. Then your own router will receive a public ip from the lan ports on the actiontec. See this thread:

»Re: Actiontec v1000h Tweaks
said by bimmerdriver:

If you want to use your own router with the actiontec, you will have to put your own router in the dmz of the actiontec, otherwise there will be two levels of NAT and you will have to configure port forwarding in both routers. I don't recommend static ip addresses. Does your router support address reservations? If so, you should use it.

Any kind of DMZ setup will still result in "double nat". DMZ simply forwards (nat's) all ports from the first router to the second router. The second router would then forward (nat) one/some ports to the client PC. It might work, but it's still going to be problematic. Plus with NAT twice, you'll have higher latency, and more chance of things going wrong. Transparent briding, as per above, disables all NAT on the first 'router', as it's simply acting as a bridge between wan and lan.
bimmerdriver
Coquitlam, BC

bimmerdriver

I agree bridging is the lowest latency way to connect a router to the actiontec, however, that does not work if the actiontec is being used for TV. I also agree there is additional latency over bridging for the DMZ, but it's not as bad as if a router was connected to a regular port. Port forwarding is not the same thing as NAT. If you are using the actiontec for TV, unfortunately, the DMZ approach is as good as it gets until Telus offers a stand-alone modem, which doesn't appear likely any time soon.
titan_rw
join:2007-08-23

titan_rw

said by bimmerdriver:

Port forwarding is not the same thing as NAT.

They are not the same thing, however one is related to the other.

Port forwarding involves NAT. NAT doesn't neccessarily involve port forwarding. (port forwarding is also called DNAT, destination nat. You are NAT'ing the destination of the IP packet.) Any DMZ I've seen simply Port Forwards (involving NAT) ALL ports to the (first routers) 'internal' IP. This internal IP then goes to the WAN interface of another router, and get's NAT'd (and possibly port forwarded) again.

Regular NAT is technically SNAT (source nat). The router takes traffic from multiple source IP's (internal lan ips), and changes the source IP to be it's own public IP. Sends the packet out, and waits for replies. When replies come back in, it figures out which packet goes to which internal ip (usually via hash lookup tables), and rewrites the IP header so that the whole NAT process is (fairly) transparant.

Telus sure needs a more flexible TV solution, or they should be giving technical users the knowlege on how their tv system works, so advanced users can duplicate it with their existing hardware.
rewrite2
join:2008-06-29

rewrite2 to bimmerdriver

to bimmerdriver
bridging would work for optic tv if you have a good router and/or other equipments. pfak has posted a way to do it somewhere on this forum. Obviously if your STBs are connected through HPNA on the actiontec, you would need a coax to ethernet adapter if you want your STB to connect to your own router. I have a motorola hpna adapter and it is used to connect my PVR and have been using actiontec in bridge mode for months with RT-N16 as router. No issues with the tvs so far even when I maxed out the 3HD and 1SD plus internet bandwidth at the same time.
bimmerdriver
Coquitlam, BC

bimmerdriver

It's great that you got it to work. I have read pfak's post about this. I don't doubt that it's possible, but I would not want to deal with the support issues if something did not work. I would not expect any support from Telus for this configuration. If IGMP was a more widely implemented protocol, it might be a different situation.
rewrite2
join:2008-06-29

rewrite2

your previous post stated that "it does not work" if actiontec is being used for tv in bridge mode that's why posted that information. I never say you can get support from Telus. In fact, if you turn actiontec to bridge mode or load the modified firmware, you are on your own (and you better know what you are doing) and you should not call telus at all if you run into any issues. Telus won't give you any support, it doesn't matter you have tv or not if you don't follow their original configuration. But if you know what you are doing, you can always revert back to original setting if you suspect that it was telus's issue. (however, you can't revert modified firmware unless you can find the original telus firmware. Just note that bridge mode can be done on official firmware but it wasn't easy.)
bimmerdriver
Coquitlam, BC

bimmerdriver

What I said was that if you put the actiontec into bridge mode, it won't support optik, which is correct. This is because the router must support igmp, which is disabled in bridge mode, along with everything else it would do as a router. If you put the actiontec into bridge mode and connect a router that supports igmp to the bridged actiontec and connected the tvs to that router, then sure, you might get Optik working. pfak and others have done this. Given there are different versions of igmp and who knows what other compatibility issues, if you also got this working, then good on you. If I was using an actiontec, I would probably try it also, but thankfully I've got an ALU so it's not worth the hassle.