how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Blondie

join:2011-08-20
Hobart, IN

[Internet] New HSI Surcharge

I noticed a new charge on my bill this month. It is listed under Change in Service and Partial Month and is called a HSI Surcharge. Knowing that I had made no changes to my service, I called Frontier. They said that I was now being charged a $1.50 surcharge because I do not subscribe to their protection service, whatever that is.

I told them that it is ridiculous to charge someone for something they do not have. After some long silences she said that the only thing she could do was to take $5 off my bill for a year. I agreed to this but told her that in a year if they were still charging this surcharge I would be switching to Comcast. Has anyone else run into this?

lymelizzard

join:2004-02-28
Robbinsville, NC
Hmm there seems to be a pattern of fees showing up. Modem rental, possible HSI Surcharge fee, I'm sure someone else can list a few more. Just tell your friends and everyone you can think of online to be wary and what to look out for and complain to the company. At some point in time they may listen.

lina

@50.43.149.x
reply to Blondie
I got the 1.50 charge but they told me it was a federal charge being passed on. there was a section on my previous bill with a notification on the last page. The rep did not offer me any options.

Blondie

Hobart, IN
Lina, I looked at my previous bill and there is no section with a notification about this. My $1.50 charge was listed under "Change in Service and Partial Month". Was yours listed under this section? On my previous bill this section doesn't even appear. If this is a federal charge I would think that it should appear under the Taxes Fees section.

When I was on the phone with the Frontier Rep, it took her a long time to figure out what this charge was for. Maybe our $1.50 charges are for different things or one of the reps was wrong. At least I was able to get $5.00 knocked off of my bill.

daveWA

join:2011-08-22
reply to lina
I have not been able to discover any federal or state HSI surcharge. It seems that Frontier is lying.

daveWA

reply to Blondie
I live in WA and just got this HSI tax* in my bill. If it isn't corrected I'll cancel my service. More people should do the same.

The contact page for Frontier West is here:
»www.frontier.com/customerservice···ontacts/
Looks like a gallery of high-salary deadwood.

(*how come no one calls corporate theft a tax? At least we get a library, fire department, and parks from the G!)

daveWA

reply to Blondie
I got this $1.50 HSI tax* as well and will cancel my service if I don't get satisfaction. The contact page for Frontier Customer Service West Region is here: »tinyurl.com/3u48ep9

Richard Klena, who likely makes six figures as a Senior VP in the Everett area, is at this address: Richard.Klena@ftr.com

Notify the Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission, and spread the word via Facebook, Twitter, word of mouth, and whatever else. Frontier has screwed people in several states for years and we're in for the same if we don't get mean. Either fight or get rolled over.

(*how come no one calls corporate theft a tax? At least we get a few traffic lights, partially-functional schools, and trigger-happy cops for our other taxes!)

Thomas

@frontiernet.net
reply to Blondie
We were just told it's a charge for having High Speed Internet. They're charging it to everyone with internet so they can expand their internet services. In other words it's an increase in their cost of service without telling you. We were told it's SUPPOSED to be temporary.

Sounds like they have different stories for different people.

Blondie

Hobart, IN
I can believe the explanation they gave you. I don't think that the rep I talked to knew what she was talking about. It took her forever to come up with an explanation for this charge. The one she came up with about charging a surcharge because I don't subscribe to their protection services seemed a little strange.

Frontier must really be in financial trouble if they have to charge everyone a $1.50 so that they can expand their internet services. I think we're doomed.

manmaniac

@frontiernet.net
reply to Blondie
Click for full size
I was just going over my bill and there is a note on the side about a $1.50 surcharge for not having a Protection Plan. Not even sure what that is.

Blondie

Hobart, IN
I looked over my present and previous bills and it looks like Frontier neglected to put this explanation on either bill. Thanks for the info. You could try calling to complain. The rep I got took $5/per month off my bill for a year.

I have never been informed about or offered a price protection plan. I have no idea what they are talking about. Also it states that this charge will be in the Taxes and Surcharges section of the bill. Mine appears in the Change in Service and Partial Month section. Taxes is a totally different section.

It looks like everyone will receive this surcharge at time of renewal. I have never been asked to renew anything. I was not under contract when we were taken over by Frontier. I asked the rep when she offered me $5/month off if this would put me under a contract. She said no.

Blondie

Hobart, IN
I googled Internet Surcharge and found that Verizon had tried to implement an internet surcharge in 2006. Under pressure from The FCC Verizon decided not to implement it. BellSouth also stopped collecting this surcharge because of The FCC's dissatisfaction with this fee. Here's the link:

»www.usatoday.com/money/industrie···ge_x.htm

manmaniac

@frontiernet.net
reply to Blondie
I was at a Frontier store today. The rep there had no idea what i was talking about. Till i showed her my bill. So not even the reps know what it is. If its a contract i don't have one where i live. So i am not sure what to do about it but call and complain.

manmaniac

@frontiernet.net
reply to Blondie
I just talked to a friend of mine at the Frontier Office in Everett. She said the HSI surcharge is for customer who are out of contract. The charge is to cover upgrade to the backbone. So its there way of covering it with out raising prices.

adf0987

@144.70.2.x
That would be correct. In Verizon days it was a contact and in Frontier days it's a price protection plan. The fee should only apply to those who pay month to month instead of a 1-2 year contract.

Blondie

Hobart, IN
But is also says that customers on a price protection plan will receive the surcharge at the time of renewal. So eventually everyone will be paying this whether you have a price protection plan or not.

mountain_jim

join:2003-06-10
Hot Springs, NC
reply to Blondie
I can understand folks getting worked up about this, and about un-advertised add-on charges in general.

But at this moment, with my (shiney) 2-weeks-old Frontier DSL service, which will save me $1000 a year over what I was paying Hughes.net, and from a companny that was willing to invest in upgrading their network so that I could have this service when Verizon made it plain that upgrading my rural area was not high on their list of things to do for the last 8 years... well - I just can't get that worked up about this charge right now.

jaberjaw

join:2011-08-03
You may not be able to get worked up about it now but when you have been a customer and watch your bill keep going up because of an add on here and an add on there and your service keeps getting slower and slower and slower then it is something to get worked up about. As an insider and knowing what is going and how they are messing up and reading what all you customers are posting on here and hearing what the company says I just have to sit back and laugh. Us techs in the field can only do so much and are told nothing. I find out more on this site and others like it than the company tells us. They are hurting for money is what is going on and between cutting managers pay, coming after workers pay and benefits and what they are doing to customers they are doing whatever they can to cut corners but still build out.

Bob61571

join:2008-08-08
Washington, IL
Reviews:
·MTCO Communicati..
·DIRECTV
·Frontier Communi..
reply to manmaniac
Frontier store?

Wow, I didn't know that Frontier had any stores!
(Hadn't been to a telco store since I went to an Illinois Bell store 30 years ago.)

I just checked the website. None in Illinois, so I guess that we're on the cutting edge.

pisstnboro

@frontiernet.net
reply to lymelizzard
im a little new to this blog thing but ya ive getting a little preturbed because they have been adding items to my bill that and all i have is long distance block on my pnoe and i have internet .the last few months they have added franchise fees and addeda toll block fee that i didnt otherise. and when i renewed they told me my bill after taxes shouldnt be any more than 55 dollers and scence that time its been above 60 to 80 and ive called and complained and the have always got an excuse. trust me if my place could get cable internet i would be doing the whole package of cable,phone,and internet therw the cable company.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to Blondie
Hate to break this to you all, but ALL the ISP's do this deceiving trick crap!!

Charter cable is among the leaders in this art.

It's all a part of their nickel and diming you to death.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Nialis

join:2003-09-24
Franklin, NC
Not Morris Broadband, I pay 99.99 every month which includes my taxes. Price has not changed in years.

beak2

@frontiernet.net
reply to Blondie
Start a protest by everyone switching from electronic to paper billing. Make them pay for printing and postage etc..

WA 425

join:2006-08-19
Lynnwood, WA
said by beak2 :

Start a protest by everyone switching from electronic to paper billing. Make them pay for printing and postage etc..

Won't work. Most people hate getting snail mail when it's avoidable, and Frontier will just add an extra fee for people who do it if enough people do to affect their bottom line.

matthopp

join:2009-05-14
reply to cork1958
Hey let's not lump all ISPs in there. I work for an ISP (unfortunately who's service I can't get at my house) and we do not charge any extra fees besides what is advertised.

I just got this charge the other month as well and find it extremely annoying.

Anon445

@frontiernet.net
reply to Blondie
I noticed this charge today. I despise price hikes like this without any explanation and trying to make you think it's some kind of what Homeland security charge. When I speed test my internet it's always way below the competitors and way way below national averages. What a scam

Snew

@frontiernet.net
I just called Frontier and they said they would remove the charge permanently.

poo pookie

join:2010-08-09
reply to Blondie
This charge has also shown up on my bill I am a MI customer, former Verizon

Captain

join:2009-12-22
Dexter City, OH
reply to Blondie
If I remember correctly to get FCC approval to buy Verizon they couldn't increase prices for 2 years. They get around that with a Surcharge or other charges. The power companies do the same thing. They don't change the rates they add on other charges.

Scott78

@intel.com
reply to Blondie
Just called Frontier and was told this was a Federal tax on the internet and they couldn't do anything about it. From this posting, »stopthecap.com/2011/08/23/fronti···service/, it looks like they're giving a lot of different excuses for the fee.