how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Tudor

join:2011-08-21
romania

2 edits

WiFi stops during Canon MP495 wireless print.

I've just spent a day trying to get my canon mp495 wireless printing to work on my laptop and failed.

I installed it properly, gave it the WiFi WEP key, all went well.
But every time I try to wirelessly print a document, here is what happens:
- the classic Canon preview window pops up and it takes a couple of seconds (for the laptop to talk to the printer I guess) before I can see the actual preview. (in wired mode, on my PC, it doesn't take those 2-3 seconds; but maybe it's the PC being faster than the laptop...)
- I confirm, and the ink levels dialog pops up and it's progress bar starts moving.
- The printer starts working, takes the page, prints half an inch of the document, then it instantly gets stuck.
*why it gets stuck you ask?*
- My laptop's WiFi connection goes to Disconnected, that's why. Windows 7 tries to auto reconnect, "Connecting...", and it fails. I manually connect, it says "Windows was unable to connect to ...".
- Printer spits out the sheet of paper.
- Ink levels / progress window stays open and progress is stuck at 30%.
- While this window is active and the document "printing", windows cannot reconnect to WiFi to save it's life.

Thing is, I also tried this a few months ago while my laptop was running windows XP. Same result.

So the printer or the software is somehow preventing my laptop from keeping it's WiFi connection. And it can't reconnect until I "cancel all documents".
Could it be some problem / incompatibility / port issue with the Router? The router never goes down, just my laptop's connection to it. (it's a D-Link DI-524)

In my Printer Properties, I have a "Canon BJ Network Port" that looks like this: "CNBJNP_001E8FA.....". Shouldn't ports look like this instead: :8080? What sorcery is this?
Anyway, I can't add another port from those printer properties, it won't allow me. I guess only the Canon Setup can.
I also have the option of adding a Local Port or a Standard TCP/IP Port. Should I add a TCP/IP port on my printer's IP and then unlock the port in my router configuration?

Any help would be much obliged.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
said by Tudor:

In my Printer Properties, I have a "Canon BJ Network Port" that looks like this: "CNBJNP_001E8FA.....". Shouldn't ports look like this instead: :8080? What sorcery is this?

The port for the printer is different from the ports use for the internet
The port for your printer can use the printers ip address or the printers host name
said by Tudor:

Anyway, I can't add another port from those printer properties, it won't allow me. I guess only the Canon Setup can

You can delete the printer icon then delete the port. Once that is done you can manually install the printer without using the cannon software
If the printer is set for dhcp you should set a static ip then create a standard tcp/ip port using the static ip

Tudor

romania
Ok, I'll try to make a TCP/IP port...

But I wonder what is causing this peculiar behaviour? Is the router actively blocking my laptop's IP while printing is supposed to be done?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
Before creating another printer port, set a static ip on the printer if it's using dhcp

I doubt that the router is "blocking the laptop's IP while printing is supposed to be done"

Tudor

romania
Oh for the love of noodles! The software wizard from the CD was old and inflexible. I downloaded a new version from Canon, which also included "Canon IJ Network Tool".

This tool actually looks for the printer, finds it, and has TCP/IP setup where I could set a static IP. Finally.

So now it works as it should.

My guess is that the IP was set as "get IP address automaticaly", and because of this there was an IP check in mid print (maybe the information is being sent in chunks to the printer, as my printing was interrupting earlier for large images and later for text; so maybe there's a buffer thing going on) which was somehow messing up everything, including my laptop's connection...

Cheers!