dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« keep rolling out bad ideasRipoff »
This is a sub-selection from WTF? Really?
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to Steve B

Premium Member

to Steve B

Re: WTF? Really?

Customers aren't required to subscribe to this service. If they don't like the terms, they can avoid it. By basic definition, any service offering by a business entity is a "money grab".
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

Thank you captain obvious. For a second there I thought I had to start sending Verizon a check every month and I don't even have service with them!!!!!
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

The point is that there's a lot of whining in this thread (and this forum in general) about VZW doing nothing more than conducting a "money grab". People tend to whine and throw around terms that they don't truly understand the meaning of. So, if I need to be "Capt Obvious" to correct a misconception, then give me a cape. Like it or hate it, this VZW service is an optional service. If you don't like it, don't subscribe. If you do like it, then enjoy watching video on a tiny screen for $10/mth.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

I'm just glad we have you here protecting us.

Thanks for your hard work!
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

Since select others tend not to contribute much to discussions, I though it the least I should do.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

2 edits

jjeffeory to openbox9

to openbox9
That always comes across as a standard line.... If they don't like it, they can avoid it. In this case I agree. However, the whole point of commenting one way or the other is to give an opinion on said service. Given everything we know about Vz's service as it is currently, it is my opinion that this add-on isn't a very good value if you're concerned about price value.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

I agree, and I won't be subscribing. I doubt that many others will either.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207 to jjeffeory

Premium Member

to jjeffeory
Great, another potential bloatware app to ignore.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

Not if you don't download the app

jmn1207
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

said by openbox9:

Not if you don't download the app

Or purchase a new phone, or update the software...

Do you know for a fact it will only be made available if you opt to download it?

When Sprint made a deal with Blockbuster, everyone had a new app pushed to their phones that automatically communicated over the air to update movie catalogs in the background, unless this option was deactivated.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

No, I don't know for a fact that it will be pre-installed. Do you? My DX came with the Blockbuster app, and many other unwanted/unneeded apps, until I fixed the problem. Where there's a will, there's a way.

jmn1207
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

said by openbox9:

No, I don't know for a fact that it will be pre-installed. Do you?

No, but I did use the word "potential" in my comment. Guess we will have to wait and see. Rootability (better patent that word before Apple gets a hold of it) is just another feature I suppose many of us will have to weigh-in before purchasing a new phone going forward.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to openbox9

Premium Member

to openbox9
said by openbox9:

Customers aren't required to subscribe to this service. If they don't like the terms, they can avoid it. By basic definition, any service offering by a business entity is a "money grab".

And they can get that same content over WiFi from providers other than Verizon and all on the same smartphone.
room200
join:2000-09-08
Chicago, IL

room200 to openbox9

to openbox9
And here you are whining about others whining. How are you any different? Do you own Verizon?
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

Where am I whining? And yes, I do own Verizon.
« keep rolling out bad ideasRipoff »
This is a sub-selection from WTF? Really?