share rss forum feed

Postal
First pull up, then pull down.
Premium
join:2000-08-30
Simi Valley, CA

3 recommendations

Well, I now work in Chatsworth

Back in January I started this thread when I found out that the division of the aerospace company I work for was sold and would be shutting down.

After 24 years with the company this Friday will be my last day. It's going to be a bit emotional having to say goodbye to all these people. I started here when I was 19 and pretty much grew up with my co-workers. Most of them have been here even longer than me.

Last week I accepted a position with a company in Chatsworth that was one of my suppliers. It's a smaller family owned business (around 50 employees) that specialize in aerospace manufacturing (precision machine shop). I've known them for years, and about two weeks ago they hit me up about hiring me. I actually had 5 of my suppliers approach me about employment, but most of them were too far away (Los Angeles, Anaheim...) and I don't want to relocate out that way. The Chatsworth gig is only 11 miles further than my current Ventura to Simi commute.

Pay is slightly better, health/dental/vision is the same (option of HMO or PPO through Health Net) and this smaller family owned business actually matches more in their 401K than the multi-billion dollar aerospace corp I work for (I was surprised they even had a 401K). It's also a much more relaxed working environment compared to the corporate micro-managing mentality I deal with now. Their employee turn over is very low, with most of their people in the 15-20 year range (company was started in 1972).

The one downside is paid vacation. I will go from 5 weeks a year to 2 weeks. 2 weeks is their max, and new hires usually start at 1 week and get one more day per year. Maxing out at 2 weeks after 5 years. But they told me that since I was coming off a 24 year stint with 5 weeks vacation, they would start me at 2 weeks.

So, at least I got a job with somewhat decent benefits. I'm hoping I can pull off another 24 year stint and then retire.
--
Next time you wave at me, use ALL your fingers.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
Yay, good luck to you. I got out of the defense industry 11 years ago after a 19 year career and haven't looked back. Of course, I'm also on my 5th job since then, but the last one has been for almost 8 years now, so it's all good.

brian
Premium
join:2002-05-02
Lake Forest, CA
reply to Postal
said by Postal:

Pay is slightly better,

paid vacation. I will go from 5 weeks a year to 2 weeks.

is the extra pay equal to about 3 weeks of pay at your old job?

congrats on staying employed!
--
flickr gallery | photo blog (rarely updated) | play mafia!

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2000-10-05
Seaside, CA
reply to Postal
Congrats on the new job!

It's almost unheard of "these days" to have been employed for such a long time. That's true old school if you ask me.

I've been wanting to "park myself" somewhere and go perm for quite some time now. Having been a consultant pretty much all my life, the longest contract I ever had lasted about 4 years. All the rest are 2 years or less. It's just the nature of the business of consulting.

Last perm gig I got was when I moved to Colorado. But they got spooked by "Obama and the whole small businesses are gonna get shafted" stuff that started floating around after his election and they ended up laying me off... Only to have me return to CA as a consultant again.

- FM
--
This just in from the department of redundancy department...

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6
Good thing their fears about his impact on the economy were unfounded, huh?

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium
join:2007-09-18
Gilroy, CA
kudos:1
congrats. may you find gold at the end of the rainbow

FutureMon
Ach Du Lieber
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2000-10-05
Seaside, CA
reply to No_Strings
Founded or Unfounded - that companies business plan was simply not diverse enough to allow for the (explosive) growth it was experiencing at the time.

The entire company's income was based on scraping percentages off the top of billings that they performed on behalf of their clients - which happen to be municipalities.

The city of Omaha being one of their biggest clients; the company was making over $50,000/month by only charging 1% of the billed amount.

They didn't take into account the amount of billings that would go into collections, however. In the same example as above, approximately 80% of thee Omaha billings were never being paid.

They kept bringing in new clients, and more data entry people to handle the load, but once I had automated the "new customer invoicing" process and automated the "late fee invoice/submission to collections" process, they really didn't need me anymore, and blamed it on a "business slowdown".

- FM
--
This just in from the department of redundancy department...

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6
I was mostly being facetious.

Mostly.

ohdan

join:2008-11-10
Adelanto, CA

3 recommendations

My mother was facetious once.

Once.

Retired6
Premium
join:2002-11-09
Earth
reply to Postal
I get 6 weeks paid vacation per year (240 hours)..har-har hardy har-har.

Congrats on the new gig, though. At least you have a job. Many others don't.

--
I work hard. I play hard. I stay hard.

Phil
Rojo Sol
Premium
join:2001-06-11
Downers Grove, IL
kudos:2
reply to Postal
Congrats!