Search similar:

uniqs
sohbah
join:2006-11-05
Urbana, IL

sohbah

AT&T customer retention number

hi all,
i would like to talk to at&t's customer retention department, but the number i've found (877-377-0415) is for california only (and i live in illinois), so when i called that number, the lady tried to help me by offering me a better price for the DSL but couldn't do so because i was not in california. she then transfered me to the her illinois' counterpart, but apparently that was the wrong department.
does anybody have the direct phone number of the retention department in illinois?

RXDOC
You want what?
MVM
join:2002-03-13
Pawtucket, RI

RXDOC

MVM

Just call your regular number and ask for the retention department. If they ask you if they can help you , just say no and they will transfer you.
sohbah
join:2006-11-05
Urbana, IL

sohbah

i called and selected "cancellations" at the automated voice machine. i was then connected to a rep (who said she was from the retention department).
my HSI direct DSL Pro price has recently gone up from the 12-month promotional price of $15/mo to the regular $40/mo, so i asked her if she can offer me anything (considering that i can switch to U-Verse Pro for $20/mo if i go with the online deal), but she said that U-Verse is not available at my address! (whatever!) she then offered me $21.50/mo for 6 months only. i would have gone with it if it was for 12 months, but i don't want the hassle of calling again and bargaining after 6 months, especially since i can get a 2x speed upgrade to U-Verse Elite for $25/mo for 12 months. so i declined and she said she will put a note that i have declined the offer.
do you suggest that i call again and speak with someone else?
sohbah

sohbah

well, i called again and talked to someone else. he agreed to a 12-month term of $20/mo for the same direct DSL Pro service that i currently have; it's just that this time i have a contract. i asked for a $20 credit for this month's bill of $40 to bring down the price to $20, and he also agreed to that. it seems bargaining enough actually works
EricPost7
join:2009-08-30
Chicago, IL

EricPost7

Any trick to this. I called to cancel my service and they made no attempt to try to keep me. They just ask me when I'd like it to be turned off.

I am in Chicago. I said, I was going to go wanted to go to Uverse but it wasn't available and then I said, I would go with Comcast. Again nothing worked. They made no attempt to keep me. I've been with AT&T since 1995 and have always paid on time, you'd think they'd make some effort.

Any other hints, or should I just break down and go with Comcast. I'm not too found of Comcast

RXDOC
You want what?
MVM
join:2002-03-13
Pawtucket, RI

RXDOC to sohbah

MVM

to sohbah
My recommendation is
1: Ask to peak to someone in retention
2: Ask about the price in comparison to other services by other providers available to you.
3: Be nice
4: Be nice

If you are level headed and give the facts AT&T will work with you.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to EricPost7

Premium Member

to EricPost7
People leave AT&T DSL for cable ISP service all the time. Some want the higher data rates that cable can provide. There is no point in fighting to retain a DSL customer when you cannot compete on speed. The call center people are instructed on how to deal with customers. The primary task of a call center employee is to complete the business transaction requested in the least amount of time. You call and state you want cancellation, that is what they will process, a cancellation request. Uverse customers purchasing the TV/video portion are considered valuable and if they call up to cancel all services will get retention attention.

If you are happy with the AT&T DSL service then you get to pay the full monthly cost just like the rest of us who are done with the promotion period.

A friend of mine got satellite TV, cell phones, and POTS lines from AT&T for years. It was one of those bundled deals AT&T does with DirecTV or DishNetwork. He had no ISP because he used, with permission, a neighbors WiFi and internet service. When Cox started with the enforcement of monthly caps, the neighbor realized the combined usage for the shared connection would be over the cap, he stopped the sharing. My friend contacted AT&T about internet service. Because he had been paying for his big bundle so long they agreed that the modem or gateway would be provided for free even though he was signing up for the 768Kbps Lite service. He gets the standard promotion rate and will have to pay the regular rate after the 12 month promotion rate is over. That is the best they will do for a longtime customer, provide free modem or gateway. No 24 month introductory rate deals. No discounting 3.0Mbps service to 768Kbps price after 12 months. AT&T is not going to do anything significant for DSL customers who want to leave and are not providing some kind of video revenue.