how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sparkleclean

join:2005-06-02
Kansas City, MO

Using Linksys SPA2102 with PhonePower?

I have been using PhonePower for 3 years with no problems in my office. Am using a 4 phone base unit connected to Grandstream 502.

The boss [wife] has given the go ahead to go VOIP. I called PP Tech Support today and asked them about connecting the new Grandstream 502 to the house phone wiring. Vince, in no uncertain terms, stated that PhonePower does not support this configuration and that it would void the warranty. Told him I was aware of disconnecting the incoming ATT phone line at house - stated that did not matter - Grandstream 502 would not support this setup.

He suggested going the BYOD route and using the Linksys SPA2102 ATA. Has anyone had experience with this setup? Would appreciate any feedback. My other option is TWC digital phone or buying a second phone base set.

Note: I had to dig through the Terms of Service to find any reference to this issue [Section 6.4 Replacement Equipment]

topgun

join:2011-01-31
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER

I myself prefer not to screw with house wiring...read this thread »www.phonepower.com/forum/topic.p···post-140

"While is is technically possible, we highly advise against the use of house wiring, as most of the VOIP adapters we lease do not support REN high enough to accommodate such usage.

Per section 6.4 of our Terms and Agreements, if a leased device is determined to have been damaged by house wiring, a damaged device fee will be applied.

If you really wish to use house wiring, I suggest using a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device)."

For a little over a bill (100.00) you can get a nice Panasonic KX-TG6545B with 5 handsets that have awesome voice quality! Don't mess with different phones with varying sound qualities. I say KISS
--
I got the need for speed »bit.ly/topgunparody

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member

join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Knology
reply to sparkleclean

I'm running house wire from a disconnected Bellsouth setup just fine. I have 6 phones/devices connected and all working just fine.

(wireless phone, answer machine, wired phone x2, separate caller ID unit, medical dialer)
--
Certified Jenius!

sparkleclean

Kansas City, MO
reply to topgun

Thanks for the link topgun - agree with the KISS - really appreciate the Panasonic recommendation.

I have the PP service with Uniden [4 handsets] and had no problem for nearly 3 years. I am going to discuss this with the boss tonight - deer in headlights will show up, so it is going to be up to me. We are of the Geezer generation and my wife is totally lost - she just hates paying $46+ / mo to ATT for POTS!

Reason I asked about the Linksys SPA2102, this is what PP tech recommended.

sparkleclean

Kansas City, MO
reply to goober22

goober22 - Are you using the PP Grandstream 502 for your setup or do you have a BYOD?

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to sparkleclean

said by sparkleclean:

I I called PP Tech Support today and asked them about connecting the new Grandstream 502 to the house phone wiring.

Weird. My 502 running off my house wiring (disconnected from POTS at the demarc) for months now without issue. Small house, but YMMV. It is my own grandstream 502 (the "free" one you get with two years service)

Depending on the REN load of your phones, it might be fine or not. Most modern phones have very low RENs, so you could hang a lot of them off it. Old princess phones from the 70s, maybe 1-3 only.

I thought this was a supported configuration.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

sparkleclean

Kansas City, MO

I checked out the Vonage forum - they have a House Wiring guide that is pretty extensive. »www.vonage-forum.com/home-wiring···ide.html

In there, Vonage does not support this configuration either. Article does mention turning off handset ringers so that a minimum ring on line.

I image quite a few customers will be surprised to find out this type configuration is not supported.

goober22
Resident Duh-Huh Member

join:2001-12-28
Panama City, FL
Reviews:
·Knology
reply to sparkleclean

said by sparkleclean:

goober22 - Are you using the PP Grandstream 502 for your setup or do you have a BYOD?

The freebie 502.
--
Certified Jenius!

sparkleclean

Kansas City, MO
reply to topgun

Wound up going with the KISS solution. Found the Panasonic KX-TG6445T with 5 handsets for $79.00 @ Office Depot.

Ordered 2nd PP service yesterday - porting house # over. Savings over 2 years with be $715.00 [Includes purchasing Panasonic]!

Having two Grandstream 502 ATAs should be interesting - we have a very good RR service here, so it really should be no problem.

Thanks to all for their input.

PhonePower
Premium
join:2007-07-20
Winnetka, CA

1 edit
reply to sparkleclean

Thanks for the business Sparkleclean!

The biggest issue with home wiring is that you need to physically disconnect the copper in your house from the telco (generally at the MOPE). There is voltage running through lines whether you have active service or not, so plugging you grandstream or any ATA for that matter into the wall can will cause it to burn out.

I have my device in the garage and it goes over existing home copper to the kitchen where the answering machine is setup with a 5 station base station. Works like a charm

This type of setup simply isn't something a vast majority of our clients care to deal with. Realistically, it also adds a lot support time if we were to walk people through it. With the risk that someone may cut the wrong pair at the MOPE, etc... just a lot of headache for phone support. These multiple handset base station phones work perfectly and take all the guesswork out.

BTW we're always looking for positive client feedback on this site. Given the nature of review/complaint sites, we're always struggling with negative reviews from the .1% that had something go wrong and are significantly more motivated to post their perspective.

topgun

join:2011-01-31
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER

Right on brother and if you live in a place with frequent power outages don't forget the UPS...I took the liberty of using the power selector tool to give the appox runtimes for just having a modem, router, VoIp adapter, and cordless phone plugged in.

»www.apc.com/tools/ups_selector/index.cfm

Now if your me..."It's my way or...hell it's my way" :-P
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···42102104
--
I got the need for speed »bit.ly/topgunparody

sparkleclean

Kansas City, MO
reply to PhonePower

You're welcome on the business - if your service didn't work well there would be no 2nd account!

Having been on VOIP for over six years [Sunrocket, Nuvio, PP], I am well aware of telco disconnect and that will be done on the new PP service. New ATA will be in the basement running over existing copper to kitchen - base station will be located there. Very difficult to run new copper due to obstructions.

If you will IM me, I will give you some insight on my call to your tech support prior to ordering service - it almost cost you.

sparkleclean

Kansas City, MO
reply to topgun

Thanks, power outages / cable outages are very rare where we live. My office is setup with APC battery backup.
Not worried on house line - they will call cell #'s if down. Other calls, not worried about.

PhonePower
Premium
join:2007-07-20
Winnetka, CA
reply to sparkleclean

If you have a power we will automatically forward to another number (a cell phone etc..) via our failsafe. make sure you set it up.

PM sent

sparkleclean

Kansas City, MO

1 edit

Ordered 2nd PP service on 8/24 - ATA shipped 8/25 - arrived in Kansas City 8/27 - registered with server in 5 minutes - outbound calls tested and were fine. Now I call that service!

Failsafe has been setup. My office # is on the Capricorn network and to transfer to Aquarius network, I would loose music on hold. Any future plans to offer this on Aquarius? This is a great feature for my office, so will stay on Capricorn for now.

Can't wait to call ATT & cancel service - $46.48 / month with Call Waiting is outrageous

Update: My number ported right on schedule - everything working great. Called ATT to cancel and was informed that PP had already canceled service.

drumzaddict

join:2009-12-09
Cleveland, OH
reply to sparkleclean

said by sparkleclean:

I have been using PhonePower for 3 years with no problems in my office. Am using a 4 phone base unit connected to Grandstream 502.

The boss [wife] has given the go ahead to go VOIP. I called PP Tech Support today and asked them about connecting the new Grandstream 502 to the house phone wiring. Vince, in no uncertain terms, stated that PhonePower does not support this configuration and that it would void the warranty. Told him I was aware of disconnecting the incoming ATT phone line at house - stated that did not matter - Grandstream 502 would not support this setup.

He suggested going the BYOD route and using the Linksys SPA2102 ATA. Has anyone had experience with this setup? Would appreciate any feedback. My other option is TWC digital phone or buying a second phone base set.

Note: I had to dig through the Terms of Service to find any reference to this issue [Section 6.4 Replacement Equipment]

Sparkle - Here is one of the most comprehensive articles I have found when it comes to dealing with telephone wiring in a house, and how to distribute VOIP over it - »voip.mi-telecom.org/ - If you do decide to go with house wiring, just remember, the boys over at PhonePower can only offer support with a phone connected directly to the ATA. IF you have issues with house wiring, see if you can replicate them with a phone attached to the ATA only before calling.

sparkleclean

Kansas City, MO

drumzaddict

Thanks - very familiar with the mitelecom.org site going back to my days with Sunrocket.

Wound up using the house copper to go from Grandstream 502 ATA to cordless Panasonic base station with 3 satellite units. Configuration works great - one of the Phone Power techs that posts here uses a similar setup. Incoming phone lines was disconnected at the box and marked.

We now have two PhonePower accounts running over TWC and both work just fine.