spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

annakarla

@grgrid.net

NewSat's Broadband

Anyone here with experience on NewSat's services: »www.newsat.com/VSAT/broadband.html

How's the latency issues? And downloading? Thanks.

zeddlar

join:2007-04-09
Jay, OK
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat
·McDonald County ..

Well they are based in Austalia. Knowing a little about dedicated systems like that I would bet the speeds to be as good or better than either of the residential companies can offer here in the us and probably very low latency for satellite. I have a friend with a commercial system (can't remember the name of the company it is through right now but it runs off of Hughesnets satellites) that is the same as Hughesntets enterprise systems and he gets very consistant speeds around 5Mb/s download speed, dunno the upload speed and his latency runs around 550 to 650ms ping times. But for this he paid like $2500 for the equipment and installation and I think he pays like $400 a month. I don't know what his cap is or if he has one. It has been my experiance that true commercial systems are very dependable and are maintained at very strict tolerances so they can support VPN and VOIP and such things but you pay for what you get and really I wouldn't expect no less from this company.

With that said I don't have service with them so I can't say for sure but if you are in the United States and are seriously considering a set up of this caliber you would be far ahead I would think to get the same service from one of the U.S. providers for business and enterprise systems. Idirect comes to mind but there are others.
--
HughesNet elite plan/.74 dish w/1watt trans. / 9000 modem / 3 computers on a linksy's wired network

annakarla

@grgrid.net

Thanks! I live in Melbourne but I'll check out idirect since my friend in Baton Rogue might be interested.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5
reply to zeddlar

iDirect is by far the dominant platform (in the world) for enterprise-grade satellite service, but as you say there are others. Newsat appears to be using Linkstar, which is a ViaSat product.

In both cases (iDirect and Linkstar) we are talking about the technology rather than the service. Service comes for a myriad of companies, each often with a myriad of service plans. There may well be thousands of possible iDirect plans just in the US, from dozens of companies. Many of them aren't very interested in individual subscribers, though.

Zeddlar, I think I know what you meant when you said "runs off of Hughesnets satellites" but I will clarify: All of the US enterprise-level providers generally use the same satellites that Hughes uses for its Ku-Band (7000) service, plus a handful that Hughes does not use.

None of them use the only satellite that Hughes actually owns.
--
Motosat self-pointing dishes: 1.2-meter XF-3 on 127W, .74 meter G74 on 127W, SL-5 HD DirecTV|idirect 3100|Hughes HN7000S|Verizon UMW190 Air Card|1990 Blue Bird Wanderlodge Bus "Blue Thunder"|Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool