nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to Sanek

Premium Member

to Sanek

Re: Rogers Upstream Bonding

If you guys think you're going to get 10mb/s upload sustained...you're going to be sadly mistaken . You might get bursts of it but I hope I'm mistaken. It seems very sketchy given the spec and currently with 2 channel bonding I just can't see them going to 10 on a consistent basis...3 or 5 maybe...but not 10...

...While the OP indicates there is room for 11 upstream channels, this is further from the truth. We'd all like to think that 5-42mhz is available for Cable services, but sadly it is not.

We have this little thing called Video on Demand...you wonder how they do that? They've allocated upstream channels for the STBs to talk to the Headends.... Also typically while the spec calls for 5-42mhz, typically again anything under 20mhz is not used, its just too noisy to be able to carry anything useful. So, after you leave VOD their room, you have typically between 26 and about 40mhz...so about 4 channels of space available (14mhz @ 3.2mhz spacing...about 12.8mhz)...

This is probably cable's greatest weakness...it can push all the DL it wants, but UL speeds are going to be constrained unless node sizes become extremely tiny (50 modems per node or probably 150 homes passed which sounds really expensive on paper) + TPIA on top of it?...I guess we'll see what happens on the 26th but I'm skeptical.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Nitzguy has absolutely nailed it ... there are only about 4 upstream channels available and given Rogers throttling the upstream to slow upstream usage, and the fact that Rogers has been very reluctant to increase upstream speeds on a single channel above 1 Mbps, I would be extremely surprised to see sustainable speeds across 4 channels bonded in excess of about 6Mbps. The only real advantage the 3 additional bonded channels is the lack of contrtol traffic which will allow them to deliver greater than 4Mbps sustained.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

said by sbrook:

Nitzguy has absolutely nailed it ... there are only about 4 upstream channels available and given Rogers throttling the upstream to slow upstream usage, and the fact that Rogers has been very reluctant to increase upstream speeds on a single channel above 1 Mbps, I would be extremely surprised to see sustainable speeds across 4 channels bonded in excess of about 6Mbps. The only real advantage the 3 additional bonded channels is the lack of contrtol traffic which will allow them to deliver greater than 4Mbps sustained.

It seems possible that this rollout may be limited to the E+ and Ultimate customers. Perhaps Rogers feels they can sustain some level of service by limiting upload speeds to the upper tiers?

I'm doubtful but hopeful. Too many ducks seem to be aligning for this to be totally incorrect but I agree with you that based on what I've read there seems to be some serious technical hurdles to overcome.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

That's about it ... an attempt to get people to move to the higher tiers and pay more money to Rogers ... but at the same time, limit the impact. I would imagine that to increase for example express to 750 kbps or 1Mbps and extreme to 1.5 or 2 would have a far greater impact on the network.