spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

whatsayU

@173.0.1.x

How many GB's do you average per month?

Post What your average GB usage per month is on the $40 (grandfathered Plan) or the $50 plan.

and if your throttled after you hit the threshold of your plan.

5.3 GB
throttled 258 kbps

laserfan

join:2005-01-14
Texas

I have come remarkably close to 5Gb every month since I subscribed to Virgin last August (one yr anniversary tomorrow in fact). But I do tend to keep track, and if I need extra bandwidth in a month I can get it from my Hughesnet service in the wee (FAP-free) hours.

To my knowledge I have never exceeded Virgin's 5Gb limit, nor have I ever been throttled.

I will be real unhappy if they lower my 5Gb limit come October.

carbira1

join:2011-07-12
Saint Johns, MI
reply to whatsayU

How are you still on the $40 plan? I use about 20 gigs a month. My unthrottled speeds never got above 120KB/S. Throttled speed is anywhere from 10-50KB/S.

whatsayU

@173.0.3.x

If you had an active $40 plan you could stay with it but once you let it go you would be left with the new $50 plan...

see thread here:
»Its OFFICIAL > Virgin Mobile Broadband = 5GB on 2/15/11

garyfitz

join:2004-08-31
Blanchard, MI
reply to whatsayU

I have the $40 (grandfathered Plan) and use about 4+ Gb, but sometimes it seems they throttle me some days. Also when I get to the last day of the month I have problems with speed or not able to get connect.

laserfan what is this about October ?

Later,
Fitz

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to whatsayU

On the $40-for-5-gig-then-throttle - Depends on the month... the VM is a backup for another datacard that gets used when in bad coverage for the other card. Last month I used around 3 gigs on it... too early to tell this month.

laserfan

Texas
reply to garyfitz

said by garyfitz:

I have the $40 (grandfathered Plan) and use about 4+ Gb, but sometimes it seems they throttle me some days. Also when I get to the last day of the month I have problems with speed or not able to get connect.

laserfan what is this about October ?

Supposedly in October (or is it Nov?) we're being dropped to 2.5Gb or something.

Today is my monthly expiration date, and although from the very beginning one year ago I've asked them to auto-renew with my credit card, it has only happenly smoothly ONCE that I recall!!! So today I'm going to lose Internet, have to go to their site and push some buttons, then fiddle-around with my Cradlepoint router to try to get Internet back, give-up after a while, then magically some mins or hrs later I'll be back On the Air ("You're Good to Go!").

We get what we pay for with this el cheapo service!

dib22

Kansas City, MO

said by laserfan:

Supposedly in October (or is it Nov?) we're being dropped to 2.5Gb or something.

I think that is their phone plans... that is the unlimited phone data will start getting dropped to 2.5gb-then-throttle (but prices will be grandfathered if you don't switch plans).

If you found they were doing this to the grandfathered broadband 2 go plan where did you see it?

Just checked the plan page on a couple of the grandfathered and don't see any changes, it still states 5GB on the banner.

laserfan

Texas

said by dib22:

If you found they were doing this to the grandfathered broadband 2 go plan where did you see it?

»newsroom.sprint.com/article_disp···_id=1970

I and others at EVDO forums interpreted this to include B2G but maybe your are right--it only applies to telephone data customers? That would be a great relief to me!

quote:
Beginning in October 2011, Virgin Mobile will also move to reduce data speeds when a customer’s data usage exceeds 2.5GB in a month but still provide unlimited 3G access without a contract, usage cap, overage or activation fees. Based on current usage patterns, fewer than 3 percent of Virgin Mobile USA customers use more than 2.5GB of data usage per month. After reaching this level, this minority of customers may experience slower page loads, file downloads and streaming media. When a customer’s next month begins, the data usage meter starts back at zero with unlimited 3G speeds.

dib22

Kansas City, MO

said by laserfan:

I and others at EVDO forums interpreted this to include B2G but maybe your are right--it only applies to telephone data customers? That would be a great relief to me!

Yea that is just the phone plans... plus they will honor the old price if you dont switch away from the old plan... so if you were on the $25 plan you still still be paying $25 unless you switch away to another phone plan, just like they did with the old $40-unlimited bb2go plan.

laserfan

Texas

said by dib22:

Yea that is just the phone plans...

Well I hope you're right--that will be a great relief to me cuz as I've said I use close to the 5Gb/mo limit now--2.5 would suck big-time.

Thanks for your input. :relieved:

Justin Time5

join:2010-08-31
reply to whatsayU

Since 8/10 $40@mo. plan never more than 5GB, usually closer to 3, web surfing, email, simple stuff, austere with vids and no movies of course.

I've been waiting for the other 2.5GB limit shoe to drop though, hope it doesn't happen but that would be my exit with this service.

laserfan

Texas

I've been waiting for the other 2.5GB limit shoe to drop though, hope it doesn't happen but that would be my exit with this service.

Sure, that would be the death knell of it for me too. We have a few Windows computers, and a couple of ipod/ipad gizmos, and just keeping those things up-to-date takes more than 2.5Gb/mo these days, or so it seems anyway!

garyfitz

join:2004-08-31
Blanchard, MI

I have Linux, my kids have Windows and Ipods. The Windows and virus updates eat alot of our 5Gb limit.

dondude

join:2005-09-15
Lehigh Acres, FL
reply to dib22

Stopped using my BB2GO in jan 2011 so I've got till Jan 2012 to add and keep $40 for 5gb? Used 49.6 GB on my BYOD Millenicom account last month.

dib22

Kansas City, MO

said by dondude:

Stopped using my BB2GO in jan 2011 so I've got till Jan 2012 to add and keep $40 for 5gb?

Yup... the account expires after 365 days of no active plan.

»www.virginmobileusa.com/legal/te···t_status
Expand your moderator at work

raypsi1

join:2001-04-09
Redford, MI
reply to whatsayU

Re: How many GB's do you average per month?

I don't see any throttling, it's just like cable the more peeps on the system the slower it goes. Towit at 2 am in the morning I never ever get so called throttled. cha ching

dib22

Kansas City, MO

If you are on the unlimited ($50/month) plan you will get throttled to 256k down and up after you use 2.5gigs of data. You can check your current usage on your account page... green means you are under 2.5GB and yellow means you are over 2.5GB.

If you are on the other plans ($20 for 500meg, $20 for 1GB (walmart only) or $10 for 100meg) you will not be throttled... of course once you use the amount you paid for (500meg, 1GB, or 100meg) you will be cut off until you add another plan.

raypsi1

Redford, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

All I noticed is in the daytime I got 300 down and 400 up. When I first connected it was at 800 down, then after the daughter watched a few episodes of True Blood. It went to 300 down. Never went back to 800 except in the wee hours of the morning so I figured it was the network bandwidth being sucked up by other users.
I can't check my account right away. But just last early morning I watched a 90 min movie on www.youtube.com uninterrupted.
At 2.5 gig I could watch maybe 5 movies before I it the limit of unlimited service.
tanks for the heads up

raypsi1

Redford, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to dib22

I got to my account ima at 5.8 gigs 5 days into the plan.
I copied this from my account page:

Virgin Mobile reserves the right, without notice, to temporarily limit throughput speeds when monthly data usage on the $50 Broadband2Go Plan exceeds 5 GB.

The above terms exceeds their 2.5gig in their broadband2go terms.
They not saying they will limit speed, that they reserve the right to limit.

dib22

Kansas City, MO

said by raypsi1:

I got to my account ima at 5.8 gigs 5 days into the plan.
I copied this from my account page:

Virgin Mobile reserves the right, without notice, to temporarily limit throughput speeds when monthly data usage on the $50 Broadband2Go Plan exceeds 5 GB.

The above terms exceeds their 2.5gig in their broadband2go terms.
They not saying they will limit speed, that they reserve the right to limit.

Interesting, you appear to either have a new plan that they don't advertise or mention on their website, or a glitched plan! (or they never bothered to update the verbage from the old $40/unlimited plan)

You basically have the grandfathered $40 plan for $50... not bad!

Could you list what plans it shows available to you on your account page? Thanks!

raypsi1

Redford, MI

Yes when I went to Radio Shack I bought the 2200 hot spot mifi. On the package it came in it says 5gig.

When I go to buy more time at my account page, it shows both 2.5 and 5 gig options that are unlimited.

raypsi1

Redford, MI

18 days into plan and i'm at 30GB

dib22

Kansas City, MO

said by raypsi1:

18 days into plan and i'm at 30GB

Has it throttled your speed to 256k/256k?

raypsi1

Redford, MI

yeah 6 days into the unlimited 5GB plan I hit the 256KB wall

dib22

Kansas City, MO

said by raypsi1:

yeah 6 days into the unlimited 5GB plan I hit the 256KB wall

Thanks for the info... so it seems there is a hidden 5gig-then-throttle plan available at radio shack! Will try that out if I ever need a new device/plan combo with vm.

raypsi1

Redford, MI

freaking just bought more time $50 freaking USD and ima at 83kbs man this is BS they take my $50 and give me Capital S with a HIT no way they getting any more of my USD's

dib22

Kansas City, MO

said by raypsi1:

freaking just bought more time $50 freaking USD and ima at 83kbs man this is BS they take my $50 and give me Capital S with a HIT no way they getting any more of my USD's

Make sure you power down the device (pull the battery) for 30 mins in-case the old profile is stuck.

raypsi1

Redford, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

Worst than that my couzins PS3 was sitting there with nobody using it sucking all my bandwidth, but I think you are right cause it reset when I booted the PS3 off my mifi

Towit the PS3 was the only device on over night and It sucked 480MB in 6 hours at the capped speed. With the mifi reset and the PS3 offline ima back at 1100kbps

Thanks for the heads up on the reset.