spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Evil Furby

join:2002-03-08
Houston, TX

Running very hot idle with Corsair H100 water cooler....

Just built my new pc and I'm getting very high temps in the bios (75+) and around 60 in Windows when I'm idle. I've checked the seating of the H100 numerous times, so I'm not sure what's going on. Anyone have advice? Should I install the stock heatsink just to see if the H100 is broken?

Evil Furby

Houston, TX
Could it just be an issue w/the thermal paste? I read that the paste that came with the H100 pre-applied was really good though. hmm..

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Evil Furby
What does the stock cooler provide in terms of temps? Could be a faulty H100.

If they are still high it could be a bad thermometer.

Evil Furby

Houston, TX

1 edit
I fixed it. Really weird though...so I didn't realize the H100 has 4 connectors on the side of the watercooler that you plug the fans into. The fans I'm using for the radiator are all fans i bought off of newegg separate from the H100. I thought fans normally run at their full speed unless you have something controlling them, but I guess that's not the case.

When I was having issues the 4 radiator fans were all plugged into my PSU, not to the watercooler. I guess they must have been running much lower than their 2000rpm capability because when I plugged all 4 into the watercooler my idle temps dropped to 29c in the bios (which is awesome). Very strange though. I thought with the fans directly plugged into the PSU they would run at 2000rpm by default. Any idea why they didn't?

h100powa

@optonline.net
reply to Evil Furby
What fans...

How did you check the seating... cause if you took it off you need to replace the paste.

Ray422
Premium,MVM
join:2002-03-04
Lost
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to Evil Furby
Fans don't care what you intend to use them for. If they are plugged into the proper voltage, they will run at the default speed or fan control setting.

I haven't read up on it, but the bad temps obviously had something to do with the assembly concerning radiator/pump/wiring controls.

Evil Furby

Houston, TX
Well the fans have a default speed of 2000rpm. They were connected directly into the PSU so they shouldn't have any sort of fan control. They aren't even variable speed fans, but for some reason they weren't running full speed when connected into the PSU. When I connected them to the H100 waterpump they seemed to run a lot faster.

I did reseat the pump like 3x, but i reapplied paste every time. I thought it wasn't making solid contact.

Evil Furby

Houston, TX
reply to h100powa
said by h100powa :

What fans...

How did you check the seating... cause if you took it off you need to replace the paste.

The fans cooling the radiator. The H100 comes with 2 1500/2000/2500rpm fans, but I bought 4 2,000rpm fans because I have read it's much better to use the exact same kind of fans to cool the radiator.

h100powa

@optonline.net
Yes, again, what fans did you buy. No one can really tell you why they did not "work" when you have 4pin fans, 3pin, 2pin... lol... fans with speed controllers on them...

Evil Furby

Houston, TX
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ··· 35200049

I bought 4 of those. I'm running at 50c~ load @ 4.5ghz now. I'm going to buy some article silver and reapply the paste and see if I can reach around 5ghz.

donno

@optonline.net
Eh not to sure why they would been going at a low RPM... but they are the wrong fans for a rad anyways.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to Evil Furby
Is it possible that the pump wasn't running at full speed?
there could be some odd wiring in the pump that causes it to require a fan to be pluged into its plug

weaseled386

join:2008-04-13
Port Orange, FL
kudos:1
reply to Evil Furby
Some over on the Corsair forums are getting high temps by over tightening the pump. This is one, of several, why they redesigned the thumb screws that tighten the pump. They removed the slot for a flat head screw driver, and now you're forced to tighten it by hand only. I've pointed out on another forum that the same "pinch" grip is used to pickup sheets of plywood on their sides. It'll be more than sufficient to tighten the pump! However, if your hands are big fitting them in can be an issue...

The TIM that comes on the H60, H80 and H100 is Dow-Corning, and is VERY good. The older models (50 & 70) used Shin Etsu. No idea why the change, but both have provided better temps than Artic Silver 5.

Fans have been a major issue when connecting to the pump. So many have complained about the fans spinning up and down (searching). Some fans begin to spin at lower voltages than others, and you need to match RPM's as well as you can.

Anyone picking up the newer H series systems should troll the Corsair forums before purchasing aftermarket fans... You'll find some that have been proven to work, and some that have failed. Just keep in mind that you'll read a LOT of threads saying, "My H100 has died...", "Corsair sucks, RMA!", etc. Its the nature of the beast when on a manufacture website. Everyone goes to the company for complaints, and few go for praise.

weaseled386

join:2008-04-13
Port Orange, FL
kudos:1
reply to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

Is it possible that the pump wasn't running at full speed?
there could be some odd wiring in the pump that causes it to require a fan to be pluged into its plug

Yes, it should be plugged into a molex plug OR into the 4-pin CPU header with all throttling/speed altering options disabled in the BIOS. I'm not sure about the newer pumps, but my H70 pump runs at 1,430 RPM's.