join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

1 edit

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Should I Switch To Cable One?

I currently have Qwest/CenturyLink DSL and phone which costs me about $116 per month with taxes. My DSL is 40/5 (I actually get with speed tests about 37.5/4.6), and I have unlimited landline long distance.

Cable One just came to our area, and is offering Cable Internet at 50/2, and unlimited long distance via VoIP for $70 plus taxes. Which would you chose? My DSL is pretty steady, and that is pretty important, and Cable One is an unknown to me. Thanks.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

You have a DSL system rated for delivering 40Megabits per second download and 5Megabits per second upload. And it is reliable? No way would I switch to an little known new in town cable company. Especially one controlled by the idiots who run the Washington Post Newspaper. Give them a few years with the people who want a low price over reliability and see how service satisfaction is then.

I do not know what kind of fancy super strength DSL you have, but it sure would be nice to have it down here in Georgia to have real competition for Cox Cable. The best we get is AT&T 6.0Mbps/512Kbps in a very limited area.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thank you David.....I am lucky to have what I have. When Qwest was Qwest, they put fiber up in certain areas. Not all the way to the home. Just most of the way. That gives certain people speeds like I have, at prices that aren't bad at all.

I sure hope those prices don't change once CenturyLink, who bought out Qwest, gets settled.
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41 to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
what are the seperate prices if known? cox has 50/5 for $99/month

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

There are a few choices. You can take a look at:

»www.cableone.net/FYH/Pag ··· net.aspx
nysports4evr
Premium Member
join:2010-01-23

nysports4evr

Premium Member

FWIW, "Service includes a data plan providing bandwidth usage of up to 50 GB per month. Usage greater 50 GB per month will result in incremental access charges of $0.50 per GB. "

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thanks.....I saw that....Did not like that.

I'm probably going to stick with Qwest/CenturyLink, for it is a known entity and works well. It was that 10mbps more download speed with Cable One that interested, me.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Ya, 50/2 vs. 40/5...I'd take 40/5 any day of the week. Also, the whole cap thing means that you'll quickly run up a bill comparable to CenLink's if you use the service more than a little.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thanks....Yea, I'm going to stick with it (CL). CableOne is offering a 100GB cap now, however, I just bought a Roku, and I'm going to go over that also.