spc
Search similar:

uniqs
fragile
join:2011-06-16

fragile

Q1000 failure

Anyone ever experience this?

The other night I went to use my laptop and no internet connection. Went downstairs to the modem and it looked ok but the case was very hot, abnormally so I thought. I unplugged and plugged it back in. Only the PWR light came on, nothing else. Tried the RESET button and that did not work. This is a unit I bought privately so not under warranty. I guess it is fried? I had the unit out on the open on a table, in the basement, nice and cool down there. So there should have been no airflow issue. Can a power surge cause such a failure? In retrospect, I had the unit plugged in to a powerstrip but it was not a surge protector/supressor, so maybe I paid the price for that decision? Maybe the unit just gave up the ghost, but I only had it a couple months.

thanks!
westom
join:2009-03-15

westom

Most failures are due to manufacturing defects. With virtually no information, a manufacturing defect is a most likely answer.

If the modem got hot, then where? Was it a power supply just inside and adjacent to the power cord? For that matter, what was the modem model number? You did not even say DSL, FIOS, or cable modem. Every answer will only be wild speculation if critical facts and numbers withheld. Especially those you think irrelevant.

Normal temperature for all electronics is a 100 degree F room. If a warm room causes failure, then that modem was defective long ago. How to find defective electronics long before the warranty expires? Operate in a 100 degree F room.

Back to why that modem failed. Connect a laptop to the modem to access its internal server? Typical address (entered in the browser) would be 192.168.1.1. Of course, that will not work if the Ethernet port light is extinguished when a powered on computer is connected. Was a powered on computer connected to the modem after pressing reset?

If the modem was damaged by a surge, then how many other appliances without a protector also were destroyed?
hardly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-10
USA
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Netgear CM600

hardly

Premium Member

said by westom:

. . .
You did not even say DSL, FIOS, or cable modem. Every answer will only be wild speculation if critical facts and numbers withheld. Especially those you think irrelevant.

This is the Qwest forum and the subject is Q1000 failure, but maybe it should have been Qwest FIOS or Cable Modem failure.
/sarcasm