uniqs
share rss forum feed

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

Cell svc uninterrupted during Hurricane unlike earthquake

No outages to my cell svc during the Hurricane weekend and all calls went thru w/o problems. Unlike when we had the East Coast earthquake where I could make no calls for a couple hours due to circuit overloading.
--
Record your speedtest.net results in DSLReports SpeedWave
»www.speedtest.net/wave/afe201cb84d45c88

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1

2 recommendations

said by FFH:

Unlike when we had the East Coast earthquake where I could make no calls for a couple hours due to circuit overloading.

this is a well-documented occurance

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24

1 recommendation

lol. xkcd's comics are just wonderful

moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

No outages to my cell svc during the Hurricane weekend and all calls went thru w/o problems. Unlike when we had the East Coast earthquake where I could make no calls for a couple hours due to circuit overloading.

Same thing here but the big problem with cell service was people losing their charge on their cell phones and no way to charge them.

Good thing my amateur radio gear held up.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

said by moonpuppy:

Same thing here but the big problem with cell service was people losing their charge on their cell phones and no way to charge them.

I didn't lose any power to house thru the whole weekend, so it wasn't an issue for me. But if house power was out, I can charge my cellphone and laptop in the car. It is a hybrid and has enough battery power onboard to charge electronic devices for days on end w/o even starting the engine up.
--
Record your speedtest.net results in DSLReports SpeedWave
»www.speedtest.net/wave/afe201cb84d45c88

jazzlady

join:2005-08-04
Tannersville, PA
reply to moonpuppy

said by moonpuppy:

said by FFH:

Good thing my amateur radio gear held up.

Can't people just charge their cell phones using a car charger?
--
“When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Sinclair Lewis

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1

said by jazzlady:

Can't people just charge their cell phones using a car charger?

depends on the outlet being "switched" or not.
i've owned vehicles that turn off the 12v outlet if the car is not in acc/on. while i'm sure everyone holds priorities a little different, if i'm in a storm like that -- i want to make sure that if i need to get out -- i am able to do so using my vehicle (making sure the battery is charged and i have fuel).

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

en103

join:2011-05-02
reply to jazzlady

I was wondering the same thing. I actually have a 15 Watt solar panel and inverter (12V) that I can charge up a few items (SoCal = sunny).

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by en103:

I was wondering the same thing. I actually have a 15 Watt solar panel and inverter (12V) that I can charge up a few items (SoCal = sunny).

And hot!!!