join:2011-08-29
Warner Robins, GA

[GA] Cox enforcing data cap in Middle Georgia

Just a heads up! Was 3 gigs over my 200 and my internet was
temporarily suspended till I called Cox. They had a ticket number on
me and transferred me to this other dept. Was given the spiel about
their policies saying they can suspend or cancel my internet service
if I continue to go over the cap. I promised to keep track of my
usage in the future. He then turned it back on and reset my modem.

He said they sent me an email a few days before but I never got it.

Guess the good old days with Cox are over , I've been with them
for a long time!

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

check for spyware viruses.

XIII

join:2010-06-16
Scottsdale, AZ
reply to Stormside

just 3?!?!?!

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1

Are you sure it was them and not someone else? There's nothing in their policies that state one's account will be terminated nor suspended going over their limit and it's not 200 gigs, re read the TOS agreement.

This is in preparation for metered billing, which we can bet ALL ISP's will be doing in the future. (or, a push to kill all residential services for business services)

I'm currently getting 50/7 on my current package and would be very angry if Cox ever did this to me. I've been a customer since the year 2000 and, if they lost me, I'd see about starting my own company and offering 100/100 meg services uncapped (if I can find a reseller that is..)

Check for spyware on your machine by going here: »www.superantispyware.com they will nag you to pay however, the free is fine. It should update automatically however, the free version doesn't. Also run this »www.malwarebytes.org again.. the push to pay will be in your face, just download, run the updates and do the FULL scan. If you have crap on your machine, these two should get rid of it.

-Rob

bbeesley
VIP
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX
kudos:5

said by Rob_:

There's nothing in their policies that state one's account will be terminated nor suspended going over their limit and it's not 200 gigs, re read the TOS agreement.

it's definitely in the TOS and in very clear language

"If your bandwidth usage exceeds the amount included in your Internet package, Cox may suspend the Service or require you to upgrade the Service to a higher package and/or pay additional fees. In extreme cases, Cox may terminate the Service after providing adequate notice and opportunity for you to modify your bandwidth usage."

»ww2.cox.com/aboutus/policies.cox

Stormside

Warner Robins, GA

Thanks bbeesley for quoting that. To answer everyone.

Yes it was Cox.

No Spy or malware.

Yes it was only 3gigs over.

I really have to watch it now.

Btw I couldn't tell from the my desktop what was going on. But
on the 2 tablets in my house there was no access, but a Cox
screen came up on the browser which basically said my account
was temporarily suspended and to contact Cox Customer Support.

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to Stormside

You got to love COX going backwards.

Downloading 203 gigs in 2007 = Cool.

Downloading 203 gigs in 2011 = not cool.

FYI, when I lived in Louisiana I regularly did 300 Gigs. Not a peep.

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR
reply to Stormside

I have a feeling it's based on congestion in your area. If your area has congestion they will enforce the caps.

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19

2 edits

Based more on competition I'm afraid. Cox's top tier is uncapped in areas where it competes with LUS fiber. And as far as I know they don't enforce the other tiers.

They effectively don't enforce caps in FIOS areas as well. ( again, unless that has changed )

Don't worry though guys, the Telco/Cable industry thinks they are "highly competitive" so surly this is an isolated incident.....

m8trix

join:2003-12-24
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Stormside

keep in mind its no just download its combined download and upload this is the limits for your area per cox website

»ww2.cox.com/aboutus/middlegeorgi···ions.cox

Premier Package

Feature

Maximum Limit

Maximum download speed

28 Mbps (megabits per second) 2

Maximum download speed with PowerBoost® 1

35 Mbps (megabits per second) 2

Maximum upload speed

5 Mbps (megabits per second) 2

Maximum upload speed with PowerBoost 1

6 Mbps (megabits per second) 2

Monthly data usage allowance 3

250 gigabytes combined download and upload

Preferred Package

Feature

Maximum Limit

Maximum download speed

15 Mbps (megabits per second) 2

Maximum download speed with PowerBoost 1

18.75 Mbps (megabits per second) 2

Maximum upload speed

2 Mbps (megabits per second) 2

Maximum upload speed with PowerBoost 1

2.5 Mbps (megabits per second) 2

200 gigabytes combined download and upload

Essential Package

Feature

Maximum Limit

Maximum download speed

3 Mbps (megabits per second)

Maximum upload speed

384 Kbps (kilobits per second) 2

50 gigabytes combined download and upload

Starter Package

Feature

Maximum Limit

Maximum download speed

768 Kbps (megabits per second)

Maximum upload speed

256 Kbps (kilobits per second)

30 gigabytes combined download and upload

Rob_
Premium
Mary Esther, FL

OK, I never known cox to use the caps though. I hope this won't happen to you again.

I wish we don't need caps.. ugh, I'd love to backup my 700 gigs of music to a site.. but I don't think they would like that, backup sites should be excluded from the caps due to the fact we need our data.

-Rob

XIII

Scottsdale, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·localphone.com
·T-Mobile US
·1and1
reply to Stormside

If this was your first time going over, then your node is heavily saturated, as they normally dont go after people for going over a cap by that little of an amount.
--
»FreeDNS.afraid.org - Free DNS dynamic DNS subdomain and domain hosting

compaq255

join:2009-05-01
Pensacola, FL
reply to Stormside

they disabled my internet as well today due to the cap. Had to call and get it back up. Deff gonna upgrade to the higher package (Was going to anyways soon)

JeffinKenner

@cox.net

That's not friendly customer service. I can see if somebody was 250 gigs over, and constantly abuses it. But 3? That's ridiculous. They should charge a fee for going over, and not risk loosing a longtime customer.

Stormside

Warner Robins, GA
reply to XIII

said by XIII:

If this was your first time going over, then your node is heavily saturated, as they normally dont go after people for going over a cap by that little of an amount.

I had been over once or twice in the past but never by very much.

It's not like I'm a constant abuser sucking down bandwidth 24/7.

Most of my regular usage is after midnight but that doesn't count for much ...

Fubar16

join:2001-02-20
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:2

How many days left in your billing cycle?

Fubar16

join:2001-02-20
Phoenix, AZ
reply to Rob_

said by Rob_:

I wish we don't need caps.. ugh, I'd love to backup my 700 gigs of music to a site.. but I don't think they would like that, backup sites should be excluded from the caps due to the fact we need our data.

-Rob

We do need our Data.... But 175,000+ Songs. Really?

XIII

Scottsdale, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·localphone.com
·T-Mobile US
·1and1
reply to JeffinKenner

They start charging fees, people will leave. There's a reason I use Qwest at one location, the cable company there charges expensive overages, I would rather have slower uncapped Internet than fast metered Internet, no matter how much I like Cox over Qwest
--

Stormside

Warner Robins, GA

1 edit
reply to Fubar16

said by Fubar16:

How many days left in your billing cycle?

Billing cycle was over the 27th. I went over on the final day of the cycle and they cut me off on the 28th. They said they had sent me
an email but I never saw it.

XIII

Scottsdale, AZ

a basic email is not guaranteed delivery, which is how Cox sends stuff most of the time.
--

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
reply to Rob_

Fire resistant media safe. »www.sentrysafe.com/Products/460/···#panel-3

or

Fire resistant data storage
»www.hddfiresafe.com/index.php/fe···ive.html

Rob_
Premium
Mary Esther, FL
reply to Fubar16

I don't do mp3s, flac and wav about 22 thousand songs from various collections.

digiblur
Premium
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana
reply to Stormside

Ridiculous... Cox has caps.. AT&T has caps. 200 gigs? C'mon, make the cap match the speed. With 17 or 15 or whatever it is you can easily burn through 200 gig in less than a month. I heard Eatel is wanting to bring fiber into my area...can't wait to switch!

Maybe me and the 4 or 5 neighbors can just setup a WDS network between us and share the load between all the cable modems. I'm sure its against policy somewhere but we would all still have Cox cable modems in our homes.
--

SouthWest Louisiana PC Users Group »www.swlapcug.com

wcda

join:2001-12-06
Macon, GA
reply to Stormside

I was concerned when I read about caps. then I found this page »ww2.cox.com/residential/support/···0000000} . Eased my mind a lot. according to the meter I average less than 3 gigs a day. that includes 3 win7 computers, 7 Tv tuners that record at least 6 shows a day. I also have 4 HD STB and 3 cable cards in use. I did spike to 5 gigs a day twice last month, but with 5 days to go in the billing cycle I have used under 21 gigs. Guess the TV side doesn't figure into the calculations.

m8trix

join:2003-12-24
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

its does not count tv just CHSI

BryanInPHX
Premium
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ
reply to wcda

Cox used to have this average usage table in it's support pages, I cannot find it now.

http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/1610591~5efbcd1172d8c3eece3e6fc697cdfc36/Bandwidth.JPG

davidhoffman
Premium
Warner Robins, GA
reply to Stormside

I would like to see the data rate separated from the number of bytes transferred, if they are going to do per byte billing or caps. So I could buy a 10 Mbps connection and 10 GBs per month or 100 GBs per month. Or I could buy a 50Mbps connection and 50 GBs per month or 5 TBs per month. Just sell buckets of bytes to be added to your data rate. I should be able to buy additional buckets of bytes as needed.

Ideally in the future they will convert the coax to FTTH and just do a simple split of the node's capacity for the data rate. For example you take a 1 GPON line and use a 4 way split. So you get 1.244 Gbps/4 = 311 Mbps for each customer. No monthly cap will be needed because the user will be limited by the max data rate. It will only be about 3.4 TB per day or 103.7 TB per month. Nothing excessive and something can easily be handled by the great network they will have built.

KnightAR

join:2004-04-22
San Marcos, CA
reply to Stormside

Cox has always had caps, and I've seen them occasionally enforce it for area's that is heavily loaded. Even back a 4-5 years ago, I've heard of them enforcing the caps. It has nothing to do with metered billing as one person said ... It's just normal network management.

Cox is not a public company so they don't have to go metered billing to please public stock holders.

davidhoffman
Premium
Warner Robins, GA
reply to Stormside

I went to a home Friday 2 September to help with WiFi problems. I asked if they would bring up Cox.net account page and see if usage log was working. They did, but I had to direct them to the usage page. They said they never got any blaring e-mail or big notice that enforcement had started. The family's usage is about 0.25GB per day, roughly 8 GB per month, on a 200GB/month account, according to Cox. About 4% of cap. I used testmy.net, they were getting 10Mbps down/2Mbps up on a 15/3 Preferred account. I wonder if they could exchange some of the monthly usage allowance for Premier speeds of 28/5 for the same price. Seems like a fair exchange. I use little of your network, but when I use it I need it to be fast.

chuckkk

join:2001-11-10
Warner Robins, GA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Stormside

The last time I bothered to check, (some time ago) over half of the traffic being sent to my modem had absolutely nothing to do with any running application on any of my computers. It seemed that the cox system was sending all traffic at the node my modem connects to to all the users of that note.

Currently, there is a response time problem with DNS service in the area, in that it's taking much longer to get DNS resolution of common web sites. Cox's modem settings are such that the modem must use Cox DNS servers initially, even when other DNS settings might be present in such things as a router on the customer side of the modem. With a "high speed" connection, it seems that "throttling" may be breaking the connection path(s), and forcing a new path to be established. (DocSys 3 modem)
Adding alternate DNS servers to a router or a P/C seems to help somewhat, but doe not completely solve the issue. I talked to a cox tech rep several days ago, and he was experiencing the same DNS service issue.

The speakeasy speed tests show about 20Mbp/s speeds, so raw speed is not the direct problem.

On the other hand, using the cox LV speed test, the graphic display usually does show problems, and the average download speed result is about 6Mbp/s.